Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
A nod to Bran and Helen, as

In common usage the term perennial generally describes herbaceous perennials--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_plant

>Is there a more technical term for evergreen?

you reject sempervirent then?

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Here's a handy mnemonic: perennials are like the Greek myth of Persephone, who spent winters in the underworld and summers on earth.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 03/15/07 12:18 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perennials and evergreens(sempervirens) are two different things.
Dales's first post was not in clear, good concordance with his topic title.
Perennials are herbaceous,though some show shrubbery aspects.

Evergreens (sempervirens) are always shrubbs or trees.
His question was why perennials died for a period and then grew back again from the roots.
His question was not about evergreens at all.

It was Hydra who wanted to know a more technical term for evergreens.
Loose from Dale's first post's question.

Alex Williams ,that is a nice piece of mythology!

Last edited by BranShea; 03/14/07 08:50 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dale. This is just nice to have a quick look at. A little step outside.

Evergreens:

http://images.nl.ask.com/pictures?q=sempervirens&qsrc=31&o=312&l=dir

And perennials:

http://images.nl.ask.com/pictures?q=pere...lang&page=2
-----------------

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Bran: Thank you for those links

dalehileman
T
veteran
veteran
T
Dang it, Dale, you'll never be a partydoll on the Net if you don't stop criticizing the good people who give well thought answers to your contorted questions. So please think out my input before you opine your signature improvement. Here, I'm not trying to give you a fishy answer; I trying to teach you to fish.

The term-lengths of natural death in most plants and animals is a crafty strategy for living, so senescence is inbuilt by evolution to increase the odds of survival in a ever changing world. Some plants, the annuals, grow from seed, flower, then seed and die, within a single year. In the wilds the annuals populate bare soils, like those created by forest fires and tree falls. They grow best in direct sunlight and don't compete well with taller, faster growing, plants whose leaves soon block the sun, so they simply die and re-invest all the important plant minerals back into their seeds which are smartly designed to sprout in a varible sequence - that is - they spread the time of germination over several years in order to hopefully capture favorable conditions for a new cycle of short term growth.

All annuals, as well as the biennials, which grow leafy in the frist year and flower, seed, and die in the second year, are termed monocarpics -- they bloom and seed only once in their lifespan and then they die.

A few perennials are monocarpics. One such is a curious species of bamboo which grows chastely for almost exactly one hundred years and then explodes sexually with pink blossoms and dies. Strangely, cuttings from this bamboo that have been transplanted in the warm zones of other continents all wither and die in unison. Why one hundred years? No one knows...I think.

But most perennials are polycarpic. Polycarpic perennials flower and bear fruit many times during their life span. The strategy of many small perennials is to survive the winter underground without a superstructure, thereby conserving vauable nutrients in blubs and root systems without having to rebuild a new understructure in order to grow upward rapidly and quickly, above the greedy leaves of their rivals, towards the life-giving rays of the sun come Spring.

Deciduous trees ape this strategy of storage of mineral assets from the green leaves into internal structures for the duration of winter so as to make them available for flowering and seed production in the spring.

Some odd facts...

A single mushroom plant Armillaria bulbosa has been discovered that extends beneath more than 30 acres of top soil in northern Michigan. (I have named him "Fred") Fred was spawned by a single spore many thousands of years ago.

Another individual of Armillaria A. ostoyae) in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon (I call her " Bruce") was found to be a subterranean mycelial network connecting erect, above-ground mushrooms that covered 2,000 acres and weighed more that a pod of Blue whales. Bruce, they think, is 5,000 years old.

Now here's a trick that you can try at home: cut a branch from a 4,000 year old bristlecone pine. Stick it in the ground and watch it grow. Question: How old is your bristlecone pine?

Speaking of "old" there is a stand of Buffalo Grass in Montana that dates from the end of the Pleistocene, about 12,000 years ago. Each blade is genetically identical. It is but one individual. I've named him "Jake" after my dog.

Some plants and animals don't die. When a single cell creature divides into two, which is the creature?
The answer is, of course, both. Some bacteria is a billion years old.

So in conclusion, individuals don't die; species do. Which is alive, the plant or the seed? Death is an invention of Evolution , death helps the species to continue in the changing conditions that always occur with time. And like plants, individul humans don't die, they live as seeds in their progeny; whether their progeny be flesh and blood, or the acts they have done, or in the words that they have spoken.

And that's the truth and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by themilum; 03/18/07 10:40 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Milum--i knew that about bamboo--well except the hundred year part.. i thought that different bamboo's had different 'cycles' (like cicada's!) and that some bamboo live X years, all flower and die and other species live Y years.. i didn't know they all lived apx (or is it exactly?) 100 years.

but thanks for the term monocarpic. that is term i didn't know but i did know that there are many plants that are semi-perennial but realize now, they are actually monocarpic. (i think dustymiller/miller'sdaughter (common name) is one.)

this ornimental is grown for its folliage, and will live several years, but once it flowers, it dies. frequently, that is bi-annually, but if kept pruned (and dry-natural drought) it won't flower.

some of my favorite flowers were plants like daylilies and spiderwort.. both had 1 day flowers.
but months of flowers--each plant had abundant flowers, and both keep producing flower buds for a long time, even if each flower only last a day.

Last edited by of troy; 03/17/07 03:13 AM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: of troy
Milum--i knew that about bamboo--well except the hundred year part.. i thought that different bamboo's had different 'cycles' (like cicada's!) and that some bamboo live X years, all flower and die and other species live Y years.. i didn't know they all lived apx (or is it exactly?) 100 years.

but thanks for the term monocarpic. that is term i didn't know but i did know that there are many plants that are semi-perennial but realize now, they are actually monocarpic. (i think dustymiller/miller'sdaughter (common name) is one.)

this ornimental is grown for its folliage, and will live several years, but once it flowers, it dies. frequently, that is bi-annually, but if kept pruned (and dry-natural drought) it won't flower.

some of my favorite flowers were plants like daylilies and spiderwort.. both had 1 day flowers.
but months of flowers--each plant had abundant flowers, and both keep producing flower buds for a long time, even if each flower only last a day.

Right, Helen, different bamboos have different cycles, but the point is -- cycles have function. Think in terms of cause and effect; the only instigation to the examined life of a thinking individual is in his or her complete understanding of the meaning of why he (or she) is here.

Last edited by themilum; 03/17/07 04:32 AM.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
the: Thank you for that but how was my post contorted and whom did I criticize

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Under what category would you place humankind if compared to the
plant world, Themilum? Skipping the annuals (tragic), perennials?
Monocarpics if they only produce one child? (certainly not evergreens )

I try to follow the jump you made from the function of cycles to
the complete understanding of an individual of what his / her existance means.Difficult, even after examining the words.

Quote: Numberless are the world's wonders , but none more wonderful than Man.

(who tries so hard to recreate his own being )
-------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith