Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16659 01/24/01 06:05 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
(Carry-over from the "Sandwiches" thread, which was already at 10+ pages and "Sandwiches", I would think, typically have little to do with fruit)

The topic is durians.

Go.

#16660 01/24/01 06:48 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't have much first hand knowledge of durians, but I would like to try one sometime...

For an entertaining article on this malodorous fruit, see the September 1999 issue of Smithsonian magazine.
Choice extract: "Even the durian's scientific name, Durio zibethinus, loosely translates as a thorny fruit smelling of the civet cat, a mammal well-known for the foul-smelling secretions of its scent glands."

#16661 01/24/01 07:57 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I remember seeing the article, but have never seen them in the supermarket. I just now tried to look at cited Smithsonian magazine article online, got "This page cannot be shown" So far I have been unable to feel underprivileged not to have tried them.

#16662 01/24/01 11:04 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Thanks Fiberbabe, you've just made me realize that, with so many people, from so many places, someone on the Board can probably help me identify a fruit I once tried.

I bought it in the supermarket, it was in a basket with a price per unit but no name. It is about the size of a small kiwi with a hard yellowish redish brown outer shell. The inside could best be described as, well, donkey snot being a big lump of translucid goo with a pile of semi-hard greenish lumps about the size of orange pips.

Once the cover was broken open the greenish goo came out in one big blob.

It tasted very lightly sweetish but the feel was so unpleasant that it really didn't do anything for me. Plus, it is the first time I have ever seen my dog back away from food and bark at it.

None of the cashiers knew what it was by the way.

Any idea folks?

#16663 01/24/01 11:13 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It tasted very lightly sweetish but the feel was so unpleasant that it really didn't do anything for me. Plus, it is the first time I have ever seen my dog back away from food and bark at it. None of the cashiers knew what it was by the way. Any idea folks?
It was likely not a durian. They are rather larger than you described.
No idea what it was.
The reason you do not see durian in supermarkets is because one shipment of durian on the shelf would have the manager calling the local fire department's HAZMAT team. The smell is FOUL. They tell me it is delicious but I could not get by that godawful SMELL !!!
wow

#16664 01/24/01 11:20 PM
H
addict
addict
H
It is about the size of a small kiwi with a hard yellowish redish brown outer shell. The inside could best be described as, well, donkey snot being a big lump of translucid goo with a pile of semi-hard greenish lumps about the size of orange pips.

Although I tend to think of them in less negative terms, it sounds like it might have been a kind of passion fruit. The kind I've had in South America (distinct from the brownish ones that I've seen more commonly) have a reddish outside, and inside they're a little like you describe. You say "semi-hard greenish lumps" - how green? how hard? were they really as small as pips?

The passion fruit I'm thinking of has translucent orange-white or greeny-white bits inside, but they're a bit bigger than orange pips. Hmmm. Maybe I'm way off here.

#16665 01/24/01 11:20 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear belMarduk: From your description of the delicacy, I am amazed that you had the courage to taste it! Donkey snot...my arthritis will not allow me to roll on floor laughing, which makes it cruel for you to endanger me so!

#16666 01/24/01 11:41 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
A thousand pardons, wwh dear, I was trying NOT to be too graphic in my description; I see I may have failed miserably .

It is not a passion fruit though. I have tried those. The hardish lumps inside the viscous goo were definitely the size of orange pips. If you managed to get a hold of one (very slippery) between two finger they were about as hard as a steamed grain of rice, but with a slimy layer on top.

The inside colour was viscous taupish/khaki and the pips a darker shade of taupe/khaki.

#16667 01/25/01 02:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, bel! Whatever that thing was, I bet I'd bark at it, too! wwh, let me help you up off the floor, once I get up myself, of course!

Durians don't have all that much of an odor on display at the supermarket. For a long time, I truly did not know if the thing was a plant or some kind of weird sea life. They look like oversized, slightly irregular, American footballs closely covered with long, stiff sharp spines. I have it on good authority that they do taste delicious, and not all of them smell. Might get up the nerve to try one, when I
have my pig-sticker handy.

#16668 01/25/01 05:24 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Durians are definitely the king of fruits. All those stories you hear about the smell are gross exaggerations. They are very tricky to get into (in fact I generally have to call for assistance for that part), but once you do!! The flesh is a whitish yellow goo the consistency of a thick custard. Having all that goo on your fingers is all part of the fun. The feel inside your mouth is like a creamy milkshake but I can't pin down what it tastes like, it's unique. If you ever have one outside SE Asia you may not be getting them at their best. The ones grown naturally are distinctly superior to the ones forced into producing at the wrong time of year. There are all sorts of durian flavoured sweets (candies) here and durian flavoured ice cream but the taste bears no resemblance at all as far as I'm concerned.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith