Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
middle-of-the-word t-to-ch I'm familiar with, just not this beginning-of-the-word stuff.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tuesday being pronounced chewsday illustrates one outcome of a process called palatalization. The segment "tu" being pronounced /tju/; it's a short hop, skip, and jump to /tʃu/. This sort of thing happened a lot in Romance languages: Latin "c", pronounced /k/, becomes "ch", /ʃ/, in some environments in French. Think of how "c" is pronounced in Italian before "a", "o", and "u", differently than before "e", "i": /k/ ~ /tʃ/. Another example is how Latin diurnus became French jour and Italian giorno: /dju/ => /dʒo/.

The US pronunciation of the "t" in Saturday is not actually a voiced alveolar stop /d/, but people hear it that way usually. It's rather an alveolar tap: [ɾ]. The process is sometimes called flapping. It is not a phoneme in English, but an allophone. It is the same as Spanish "r" intervocalically, as in pero 'but'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was thinking about this, and one that I can think of that is related to the t-ch thing is, "what you" being said (or sung) as "whatchoo".

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Alex Williams
"Warsh" for "wash" is the first example that comes to my mind. Then there's the British pronunciation of "lieutenant," which has always boggled my mind. (Although I can't justify the "r" sound in "colonel" myself.)

Good examples.
I guess the English cannot easily pronounce the French "lieu"
The 'eu ' sound is not really there. You pronounce it as 'you'.
Should it have been : 'Liyoutenant'? Difficult too.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Of course the English reserve the right to deliberately mangle any French word as they see fit, and if it annoys the French then so much the better.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The 'eu ' sound is not really there. You pronounce it as 'you'.

Most, if not all, languages replace foreign phonemes in loanwords with phonemes from their inventory. It's normal. The French do it, too. Cf. the pronunciation of French smoking 'dinner jacket'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
reeluhtee?? Remind me where you're from zmjezhd.

"British pronunciation of "lieutenant," which has always boggled my mind. "
Were you referring to leftenant rather than lootenant?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>leftenant

there's some folksy etymology goin' on here:

In English the word is pronounced /lɛf'tɛnənt/,[1] except in American English in which it is pronounced /lu'tɛnənt/. However, the Royal Navy and other Commonwealth navies traditionally pronounced the word as /lə'tɛnənt/. The American pronunciation was originally the same as the British,[2] but by the end of the 19th century had almost completely been replaced by the current pronunciation.

In Canada and New Zealand /lɛf'tɛnənt/ is standard for all branches of the Armed Forces and for other usages such as lieutenant governor or Quebec lieutenant. Australia follows the British system, with the Royal Australian Navy officially using the /lə'tɛnənt/ pronunciation.

The English pronunciation was prevalent during the 14th and 15th centuries with the word being variously spelled as lieftenant, lyeftenant or luftenant. It may have originated from a mistaken reading of the 'u' as a 'v' (u and v originally were written as the same letter), with v eventually assimilating in voice to /f/. Something similar happened in Greek, and British education on the Greek classics may have also encouraged the pronunciation. Some sources state that the original French word lieu (i.e. "place", since "lieu tenant" literally means "place holder" in old French) had an alternative form spelt and pronounced lieuf, and that the most common modern form retains the former spelling 'Lieutenant' and the latter pronunciation, 'Leftenant'.

It has also been speculated that it may have come from a fanciful etymology which associated it with the verb 'to leave', as the lieutenant only took up his duties once his superior officer had 'left'.

Another theory comes from the fact that in typical propriety the person or persons standing to the rear-left of a gentleman held power and were typically those directly second to him. The person or persons standing to the rear-right were considered to have no or less standing than those to the rear-left, such as aides, bodyguards, wives, etc., often holding this position for simple facility rather than societal importance. This tradition remains in military parades, with lieutenants standing to the rear-left of the commanding officer (when facing the advance).
- wiki

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
reeluhtee?? Remind me where you're from zmjezhd

I'm from Sonoma County, California. I say "reeltee", but I've heard "reeluhtee" from any number of US English speakers. For the record, I don't say "nookooler" either.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

Another theory comes from the fact that in typical propriety the person or persons standing to the rear-left of a gentleman held power and were typically those directly second to him. The person or persons standing to the rear-right were considered to have no or less standing than those to the rear-left, such as aides, bodyguards, wives, etc., often holding this position for simple facility rather than societal importance. This tradition remains in military parades, with lieutenants standing to the rear-left of the commanding officer (when facing the advance).
- wiki

So you have your leftenant and your rightenant?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 585 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith