Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#166514 03/05/07 11:04 PM
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
In english(and other languages) there exist the phenomenon of "silent letters", such as pterodactyl, phlegm, raspberry and asthma (which loses two!). This is known as an aphthong(or so I recently found out, after a bit of research), and I was wondering if there was an opposite to it - like a letter that doesn't exist, but is pronounced! Does this exist? Does it have a name?

al

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Welcome applejuice,

I don't know if there is a name for it, but the situation does exist.

Take, for example, the word TUESDAY, in some parts of the U.S. Tuesday is pronounced Chews-day. The CH is definitely not there, but it is pronounced.

Oh, and as an aside, the way I hear it, the P in raspberry is pronounce; lightly, but pronounced nonetheless. Maybe it's a regional thing.

======================

And then there's this whole thing with COLONEL being pronounced KERNAL [shrugging-shoulders e]

old hand
old hand
I don't know a name either, however, in Fijiian the 'Q' is pronounced 'ng' as in sing. and the 'C' is pronounced 'th'.
Not english but!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is a phenomenon called epenthesis where a sound, usually vocalic, is inserted between other sounds, usually consonantal, to help out in pronunciation (or phonotactics). You hear it in some pronunciations of realty (reeluhtee) and nuclear (nookooler).

The reason English has so many silent letters is because our orthography (spelling system) went out of whack with how words were being pronounced about 600 years ago but we never released new versions.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
Welcome applejuice,

I don't know if there is a name for it, but the situation does exist.

Take, for example, the word TUESDAY, in some parts of the U.S. Tuesday is pronounced Chews-day. The CH is definitely not there, but it is pronounced.

Oh, and as an aside, the way I hear it, the P in raspberry is pronounce; lightly, but pronounced nonetheless. Maybe it's a regional thing.

======================

And then there's this whole thing with COLONEL being pronounced KERNAL [shrugging-shoulders e]

CHewsday? I ain't never heard that.

and there ain't no p in raspberry. regional, I suppose. nice hefty Z, though.

formerly known as etaoin...
old hand
old hand
Is there Two D's in satday'?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: etaoin
[quote=belMarduk]Welcome applejuice,

CHewsday? I ain't never heard that.

Come up here (it's chewsday today), and not only will you hear it, we'll even draw you a pitcha.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there are, many, many words (regionally, in NYC/metro area, and esle where) that get r's dropped (like max's example of draw you a pitcha. -(max is far, far from NYC!)

there are just as many words that get R's added.
can i think of an example? no of course not..
well maybe.. there is a road in the bronx, Mosholu Parkway, that is Marsha loo (and alternately, ma Shula Parkway, but never Mosholu!)

there are lots of others, but unless i make an effort, i don't hear the R--it just sounds normal to me!

R's get added to english word here in NYC and elsewhere.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mebbe Max would drawr us a pitcha.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
"Warsh" for "wash" is the first example that comes to my mind. Then there's the British pronunciation of "lieutenant," which has always boggled my mind. (Although I can't justify the "r" sound in "colonel" myself.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 988 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith