About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ok, let me:

category 1 words are those that are in common use, and most people would know without discussion.

category 2 words are those that some people will know, especially those with a higher education and/or an interest in language. they are likely more precise terms for relatively common experiences.

category 3 words tend to be what might be called "35-cent words" (used to be a nickel but inflation, you know). they could be interest based; jargon, technical terms, or just much more esoteric than common usage.

some people would consider the use of category three words to be elitist, and sometimes, of course, they are used thusly, but it might just indicate that the user loves language.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i am, um, 47 (same age as when i started posting here at AWAD) and for 47 years, i have never seen the need to catagorize words as 'type 1, type 2, type 3'

i see that it is useful to know if a word is a noun or verb, if it its current or obsolete (not that i haven't found obsolete words in my vocabulary!). its is also useful to know if something is a brand name--and not really a word.

Knowing were the word came from is useful, and helps me understand the word.

but what use is type 1, type 2 and type 3?

are these catagories used to sort out speakers/writers with little education, middleing education, or advanced educations ? the purpose of the "type" seems to be to sort the USERS rather than words.

let's be sure not to get too uppity.. and speak or write with words out of class.. i mean, should i be asking my self, when and where do i have the right to use type 3 words? when i use type 3 words am i flaunting my edjumacations? or speaking out of turn?

are we going to have laws passed about who can (or can't) use certain words? like the sumptuary laws of the past?

and who make up the list? (right now, dale has appointed himself judge, jury and exicutioner. (and we can, if we want, prove him wrong(oh, thank you lord, for this small grace!)but we are expected to just take his notion, (a not too well thought out one, since even he has trouble explaining it so people understand) and live by it?

well i reject his notion of "type" and i reject his being the arbitrator of which word is which type, and will continue to use words, just plain words, as i see fit. He can think i am elitist in my choices, and i can think he is a bulling idiot.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta: Well put!
Enrolling with the bullying idiots I hope you will join me in my thrust to promulgate Type-2
...employed of course judiciously

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and I say you don't like it because it is dale that started it.

do you use the same yarn in every project?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you can think as you will. (just as dale can think as he wants.)

and no, i don't use the same yarn.

sometimes i work in silk, or alpaca, or blends of silk and alpaca.
some times i work with wools, or wool blends
sometimes i use 'red heart' the cheapest acyrilic yarn there is.

i am not an elitist, nor am a snob about yarn. i use all kinds of yarn, and trust others to use what ever yarn they want, when ever they want.
i am not a snob about words, or people, either.

the 'type 1, type 2, type 3' is about snobism. it is about the USER as much about the word.

he "suggests" that types be used "judiciously" (and he is happy to appoint himself the judge!)and he wants type 2 words to be promulgated--which seems to mean, the world should limit itself to generally only using words DALE knows and is comfortable using.

this includes, no doubt, "bill gates" as a word that defines everything DALE doesn't like or understand about computer technology, be it hard ware or software related! (it is such a simple word--it is defined by DALE's knowledge and personal tastes, and EVERYONE should agree!)

(wait, to understand and use it properly, i have to spend the next few years learning Dale's limits and knowledge and personal feelings to know when it is (or isn't) appropriate to describe a problem as a bill gates--there isn't a dictionary big enough to define it in mere words!)

well, if you want to let others make your decisions for you, go right ahead. I decide things for myself, and i reject the notion of "types" when it comes to words. I also reject bill gates as valid, useful word.

(dale can continue to use, and will, but it only has meaning to him. he can create a whole language for that matter if he wants. but i don't have to learn it or use it.

i don't see much use to words or a language that is so idiocentric.

(and i don't see a lot of support for the idea here, or else where) You are free to be boswell to his johnson, but i think that is a real way to blow your life. )

#165768 02/12/07 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but what use is type 1, type 2 and type 3?

Like many of his re-inventions of the wheel, I think what Dale was trying to capture is what linguists call register. Some dictionaries will tell you what a word's register is, i.e., if it is formal, slang, colloquial, jargon, etc. Speakers use different subsets of language (accent, or pronunciation, vocabulary choice, etc.) depending on the context in which the utterance occurs. Good authors to read on this would be Halliday, Labov, or Trudgill. Historically, one of the big differences between descriptivists and prescriptivists is using less judgmental names for register; cf. the big flap over Webster's Third International in the early '60s.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#165769 02/12/07 08:44 PM
old hand
old hand
Kia ora all and thanks for the explanations.
I remember as a youngster, about 6 or 7, listening to adults talking and using words that were foreign to my limited understanding and vocabulary. They used big words that I as a child had no concept of, it was almost another language that I was determined to learn. I wanted to be like them. Now, I liken the language I use to driving a car. I get in, start the engine, chuck it into drive, hang my arm out the window and enjoy the cruise. It is the vehicle we use. Some people take the direct 'A' to 'B' route. Some people take the scenic route, others go around in circles. Occasionally we slow down for a red light and stop, we wait idling, then we're away again. I for one have only learned as much as I have needed to know about the engine and its myriad of components that combine to get me to 'B' but I do find it interesting to know how it works. It allows me to enjoy the ride.

#165770 02/17/07 03:44 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Eloquent and Expressive.
Bravo !!

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
#165771 02/21/07 04:45 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Ollly: as one of my country's most resoundingly unpublished writers, I concur most wholeheartedly with Park, reflecting of the principal reasons I hang out on WS and WW, hoping some of that kind of writing will rub off onto me

dalehileman
#165772 02/21/07 09:35 PM
old hand
old hand
Thank you both for the compliments. As a newbie i find it most encouraging being able to express freely amongst people with far more literary experience than I.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 604 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith