Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
On account of its importance I hope you will consider this as a weekly theme, otherwise feel free to move it to Misc

If anyone has an 'in' with the guys responsible for our software, there's a problem of which they're evidently not aware and wastes not 18 keystrokes but thousands if not hundreds of thousands, and for one, many hours of my screen-sucking time. And that is, when one attempts to Submit,

We cannot proceed.

The form you have submitted is no longer valid.

Which would be ok except that when you attempt to return to your followup you find that it has been deleted and you have to start all over again...

Of course the prudent move is to continually highlight and copy each new sentence or paragraph, but if you are at all flawed as I am, you will often forget to do so

Please, I'm not trying to draw out an archived topic, and I realize that you can also expend the keystrokes necessary to compose your work in Word and then arduously highlight, Copy, switch, edit, Select all, Copy, switch back, scroll, paste, etc etc etc

But of all Bill's software goofs, this one has to surpass those in any other site

Please consider this not as persiflage or criticism but merely a suggestion about one of my favorite wordorigin boards. Thank you most kindly for your attention

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/17/07 07:18 PM.

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dale, I have ... not exactly the same problem with my e-mail, but a problem that drives me crazy: although I preset it so that every new message I prepare to send should open with Clear Day "stationery", navy "ink", Lucida Sans font, italic and bold, and it agrees that it will save these settings--it never "remembers" the bold, and, as often as not, it comes up Arial font!

My point in all of this is that my computer guys told me both times I've complained, that it must just be a glitch that can't be rectified. We used to encounter the problem you mentioned MUCH more before Anu switched us to UBB, and were essentially told that it, too, is a glitch in the system. Feel free to write to Anu if you want, though--it might help.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Jackie thank you for that. So this time it's a real glitch! Thanks undoubtedly to Bill Gates and crew I am led to believe that Windows contains not just a few but, no kidding, hundreds of thousands of such glitches

Another one that drives me up the wall: Hidden somewhere in the code for Yahoo (a well named service, by the way) is one which, when you attempt a Reply to an incoming email message, provides the usual sort of reply window but without the message. Thus if you want to retain it in order to reply serially, you must File, Close, Yes, Select All, Copy, File, Close, New, Paste etc etc etc, then laboriously re-enter To: the sender's address, Cc:, Subject, etc etc

One gets the feeling that software writers are recruited from homes for the autistic

Here's another one: By the sheerest coincidence when I attempt a Google spellcheck on this followup I got a momentary message, "Wait", whereupon nothing further happened. The second time I tried I didn't even get the "Wait", but finally the third time it worked ok

God bless Bill Gates

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Hidden somewhere in the code for Yahoo (a well named service, by the way) is one which, when you attempt a Reply to an incoming email message, provides the usual sort of reply window but without the message. Thus if you want to retain it in order to reply serially, you must File, Close, Yes, Select All, Copy, File, Close, New, Paste etc etc etc, then laboriously re-enter To: the sender's address, Cc:, Subject, etc etc

Go to your Yahoo! email. Up at the top left, right next to Sign Out you will see My Account. Click on that . Its might ask you to enter your password. Do it. This will put you in your Account Info page. On the right side you will see Options: Click on Mail. In the middle, under Management, click on General Preferences. Scroll down to the bottom. Under Message Actions you will see Replying. Click on the little circle that says Include full original message when replying. You should only have to do this once. If it doesn't take you haven't been sacrificing properly to Loki.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Fal: Thank you kindly for that rundown. However, I don't have the Yahoo account, it's my pen pal who does. Nonetheless I will send them a link to this thread in case they might want to take advantage of your suggestion

Again my most profound thanks

dalehileman
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
J: Indeed I'll fwd a link to Anu. So, Anu, although I realize you're pretty much at the mercy of Bill Gates and may have little if any control over the software: If ever the site is up for housekeeping, you might address the tendency of the software to delete one's entire followup before he is done composing it, whenever you inadvertently hit the wrong button, if you access another thread (say for reference purposes), or simply if you wait too long before starting the next paragraph

Another not quite so serious nor time-consuming but nonetheless an annoyance, is the message, "Warning: page has expired" often appearing repeatedly--as many as a dozen times--as one attempts a return to the main index

Nonetheless thank you for WS, one of my favorite boards

dalehileman
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
J: About the appearance of your communiqué: The reason is, that in order to torment you and me Bill, in a subrosa agreement with Yahoo (a service well named, by the way) and other servers, has set up Windows/Word/Outlook not to retain your typography but to impose whatever set of conditions happened to be set up in the recipient's PC at the moment he received your message. Thus it loses all semblance of readability. Typically type, size, and color of the font is changed, all paragraphing is deleted, every other line is cut in half with an Enter, and hundreds or even thousands of the meaningless ">" symbol are inserted everywhere at random for no apparent purpose

God bless Bill Gates

dalehileman
#165273 01/19/07 06:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
daleh, I've set up a place down in English as a Global Language for all your Gates-related questions, complaints and persiflage so that those of us who are inclined to discuss words and language may continue to do so without being distracted. Wasn't that nice of me?

enthusiast
enthusiast
D, Your rant is not entirely based on fact.
Those typography settings are carried with the message assuming the sender has the correct MIME settings and you have chosen to recieve it that way. (many Email programs have a setting "text" vs "html")
As for the ">". That is also a 'configurable' option. Although I admit the DEFAULT is to include them and after multiple forwarding they become quite unsightly.

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Anna: Why, thank you. Sorry if I'm distracting

Parkin: As an old analog fart on the brink of senility I doubt if I'll be able to gain much from your followup but nonetheless thank you most kindly for trying

dalehileman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith