Next Thread
Print Thread
#165114 01/14/07 01:40 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
The following is by no means a religious treatise but an honest effort to understand the meaning of these two words

A Christian writer maintains, “God...omnipotent and omniscient... has all knowledge knows exactly what we will do.” But how can that be? For if She knows precisely what is going to happen, then our future must be completely predetermined down to the last detail, and therefore we have absolutely no control over it. But this assertion is contradicted by the Christian idea that She has given us Free Will. Or do I misunderstand what's meant by "free"

Besides, if She knows unerringly how the future will unfold, why should She have bothered programming it in the first place

Furthermore, if She is omnipotent how can the future be predetermined? If She becomes unsatisfied at some point along the way and therefore decides to change it, then it could not have been preset in advance

But it’s also unlikely She be omnipotent, for if "omni" means everything, and if that were true She could perform the impossible. But the impossible--most miracles, we can assume-–often if not always entail contradictions of some sort. For example, if She can do the impossible, then She can make us–or even Herself–both exist and not exist simultaneously; just as She apparently has bestowed upon us Free Will but at the same time refuses it. Or do I not grasp the meaning of "exist"

Yet the foregoing notions gainsay another tenet of Christian doctrine, which is, as the Pope has recently confirmed, that everything about God and her works is perfectly logical. Thus Papal Decrees notwithstanding, the doctrine that the Universe both is and isn’t laid out in advance; that we both do and don’t have Free Will; and that She can yet can’t do the impossible, accord more exactly with the Muslim assertion that Her Works don’t necessarily conform to Reason

Sorry, Ben

So if I'm simply not comprehending their usu definitions, what else should I understand by those two terms, and what is it concerning the Pope's understanding about the word "logic" that I cannot seem to grasp

Note to admin: The above is by no means intended as frivolous or blasphemous though I have inserted a bit of persiflage. But if you find it offensive in any way, please feel free to delete it as the last thing I want is to trample anyone's sensibilities

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/14/07 01:47 PM.

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
omnipotent = all-powerful

omniscient = all-knowing

"That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

If you're looking to discuss theology, daleh, there are many message boards out there, including

http://www.iidb.org/vbb/index.php

I'm sure they'd love to have you.

addict
addict
Quote:

"That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

Curiously, that seems to put the words "beauty" and "truth" in mind—if only I could remember why...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Forgive me, too-early-died Keats.

http://www.bartleby.com/101/625.html

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Anna thank you for that link, I've placed it amongst my Faves, though i'm not so sure they'd love me

Hydra, Indeed I'm all for beauty and truth, except possibly where the truth is very unpleasant, as in "Thanks but I didn't need to know that"

dalehileman
addict
addict
dale, I used to think about this theological paradox a lot. I call it a state of "mutual exclusivity". Eventually, I postulated the following solution:

God (if we suppose for a moment that he exists) holds his omnipotence in a state of abeyance with respect to the acts of man, which idea resolves itself into yet another paradox: It is within God's means as an all-powerful being to create beings over whom he has (ostensibly) no power. This is the terrible gift of free-will—that man is free to do what is monstrous and abominable in God's eyes.

There are many such paradoxes. Another is the co-existence of Divine Beneficence and Omnipotence. In other words, is God free to do evil? Or are there acts of which he is morally incapable?

Evidently, it seems omnipotence preponderates over beneficence:

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
—Isaiah, 45:7

Calling all theodiceans.

Last edited by Hydra; 01/14/07 03:41 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Hydra, thank you for that thoughtful reply. However, your solution doesn't entail a contradiction if you allow that although She is omnipotent, once having created the Universe She observes a hands-off policy, simply choosing to perform no further miracles whatever, allowing everything to take place according to the laws of physics and chance

In which case She just sits back and watches

As to whether She can perform evil, how about a tsunami that wipes out a quarter of a million people. (If you create a rock that orbits around a hydrogen bomb, you will necessarily have to tolerate an occasional unfortunate incident such as an earthquake)

But personally I can't see why She should be more concerned with morality than with other aspects of the Universe, such as logic and arithmetic. If you would care to pursue this subject, I am dalehileman@verizon.net and don't care who knows it

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/14/07 06:27 PM.

dalehileman

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith