Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16368 01/22/01 08:11 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Anyone seen the new Cohen brothers film? I think AWAD folks will appreciate its literary humor. I especially like the use of high diction by otherwise nitwit characters (similar to the dialogue in the Cohen brothers' previous film "Raising Arizona"). Comments, anyone?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's high on my list, mostly for musical reasons.

old hand
old hand
Riot. I loved it! "High diction by otherwise nitwit characters" is a perfect encapsulation of *that* part of its peculiar charm... the Odyssey references are vague but charming, some cool surreal moments, and the music is fantastic. I can't recommend it to troglodytes, but you people... definitely.

#16371 01/24/01 04:03 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Oh the music is awesome. As a Southerner (sort of, Kentucky being a kind of border-state weirdness unto itself), I really appreciate the way that the film features classic country and bluegrass music. It's beautiful, sophisticated music that in our national culture is underrated. Most people associate bluegrass music with the film "Deliverance," which has done such WONDERS for the perception of Southerners in this country. *sarcasm alert* It has, however, kept property values low by preventing the migration of Northerners. ;|

Now before I pass myself as some sort of bluegrass aficionado, let me point out that my first exposure to that particular traditional song "O Death" was the Camper van Beethoven version, from their album "Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart." I miss that band so much. What great music, and lyrics too. *sigh*

#16372 01/25/01 06:22 PM
S
S
Alex:
FYI, David Lowery is still producing some great stuff with his band "Cracker" (yes, that kind of cracker). He moved to my hometown, Richmond, VA, a few years back, got married to an old friend of mine and has a kid! Tempus Fidgets as my Mom says...

D
stranger
stranger
D
I liked the comment from a review, "[the character played by George Clooney] uses 9 dollar words with his 50 cent brain."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I saw it last night and loved it. Will prepare a 'reviewette' later - meanwhile I wanted to bring the topic back to the surface (Oh, paulb, where art thou?)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, Anna, I saw it yesterday, too! Familiar music, sure
'nuff. I was very impressed by the actor whose name is, I
believe, Tim Blake Nelson: he didn't have too many lines,
but his facial expressions sure spoke volumes! I was wondering if the "turning into a toad" was representative of the men in The Odyssey being turned into pigs.

Oh, in the other thread about Groundhog Day: I didn't
print that article, I just copied it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I didn't print that article, I just copied it.
[shock]©
why do you think they call it a copyright??

#16377 02/05/01 10:46 AM
P
addict
addict
P
I'm still around, AnnaS, thanks for the cooee! I must confess that I see very few contemporary American or British films. I'm much more interested in films from Europe and Asia, in particular, Iran and China, whose directors tend to produce breathtakingly beautiful films woven around daily life. If you have the chance, don't miss "Gabbeh" and The colour of Paradise" from Iran, and "Not one less" and "My way home" from China.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
shock]©
why do you think they call it a copyright??

But, but, I gave credit where credit was due. What else
could be necessary? I certainly hope he doesn't expect any money! It's not like I pretended it was mine.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
we know your heart was pure, Jackie! <G> it's probably just better (safer?), on such a long piece, to just link to it. I cut and paste pretty liberally here from the OED, but I figure I paid dearly(!!) for the privilege. 8-)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it's probably just better (safer?), on such a long piece, to just link to it.

Yes, Dear, I understand, Dear, I'm sure you're right, Dear.

psst--y'all jist watch an' see how well Ah foller that thar directive!

#16381 02/05/01 04:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Released in this country as The Color of Paradise. Beautiful film. Had a scene in it that was almost identical to a scene in Gladiator.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this movie is freshly out in VHS/DVD formats. the Soggy Bottom Boys number (which is terrific) is on the DVD as a music video (I can't imagine it on MTV, but maybe VH1?). does anyone know if this was performed by Clooney et al, or if not by whom? (the video credit just says "Soggy Bottom Boys") anyway, for those that missed it in the shoeboxes, it's well worth renting.

old hand
old hand
I'll have to check the CD when I get home, but I know that Timothy Blake Nelson was the only one who did his own vocals in the Soggy Bottom Boys... George Clooney and John Turturro do an admirable bit of lip-synching, but I'm sure Rosemary is still perturbed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
This little gem got me most of the way across the Atlantic on a recent jaunt to Europe. Especially loved the Cyclops and the Sirens (that's pronounced Sigh-reens, to rhyme with Irene, as in "good night...")

PS - Soggy Bottom Boys (per my resident music man) - a group of musicians together specifically for this film, including T Bone Burnett.

#16386 06/14/01 04:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Haven't seen a Coen Brothers film yet...but I've been meaning too since "Fargo" got such accolades. I'll make it a point to rent one, now...I have a little extra time coming up.

You might be surprised to know, Alex, that here at the tip of the Jersey Cape we're actually 50 miles below the Mason-Dixon line (if you extended it to the coast it would hit just above Atlantic City). And there were a lot of fluctuations in sentiments around here during the War Between the States (in deference to my Southern friends).
In fact, a bit of history I just gleaned from some re-enactor friends substantiated the fact I heard in the past that New Jersey, by a matter of 3 votes, was actually more in danger of joining the Confederacy than the more noted border states ever were. The large proportion of agrarian activity in the Garden State at the time put the economic interests more in line with the South than with the industrialized North! 'Course Lincoln would've sent in troops to keep the state in the Union like the others. But, for a matter of a few votes, you just might be talkin' about us "Jersey Rebels" today!
Politics, especially wartime politics, is a strange bird indeed!

And my cousin, Carl Baron, is one of the top five-string banjo pickers on the East Coast! He plays with a group called The Pine Barons who have a couple of CD's out. He got me into bluegrass a long time ago. The music's got soul and heart, just like blues or jazz...the only three truly indigenous American music forms...all the rest are just hybrids of those three, mix or match!...including country and rock'n'roll! And you have to be a damn good musician to play bluegrass music!!!

Well, Alex, thanks for providing the impetus for these little ruminations of mine! And I'm dying to mention that line from "Deliverance" since you brought it up...but I won't...well, maybe just the 'pig' part...poor Ned Beatty!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes, we got this on DVD as soon as it came out, and have found no diminution of pleasure having now seen it at least 5 times! In me yumble opinion, this is an almost infinitely better film in every single respect than the completely overhyped 'Crouching Kitten, Farting Sparrow'.

I have heard my son (13) picking out riffs from the songs on his double bass ever since we saw the movie. It works on so many levels, like most of the Coens' films.

#16388 06/14/01 03:53 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
poor Ned Beatty!

For a pleasant evening's movie, rent "Hear My Song" with Ned in title role ... an off-beat film, set in Ireland and England, bit of a slow start, a lot of smiles, some out loud laughs, and some great music, all mixed up and an ending that is a hoot!
Based on true story.
That's my contribution to a pleasant summer evening for this thread.

#16389 06/14/01 04:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
(and with just a touch of the Irish, eh, wow?)

Yes, I loved that film too. Even almost reconciled me to improbable warbling Hey! - I just sat through Fidelio, for god's sake, where nothing at all happens for over 2 hours apart from a lot of fine music!!

#16390 06/14/01 04:42 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Maverick > a touch of the Irish, eh, wow?

If you mean my ancestry, dear Mav, it's all from the Emerald Isle!

#16391 06/14/01 05:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes - and the film has a lovely Irish lilt to the whole story, don't you think?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith