O

Tungsten devastators with the spinning hammer

head flights. Sweet.

Does anyone know what is a “spinning hammer

head flights”?

You do that beautifully.

f- Like to think think it's Creole Tudor by way of Lake

Charles, Louisiana.

He flatters the way she throws a dart. Is that some kind of a style? A style from Louisiana?

Classic Tudor with a high finish.

Nothing but cork, two triples and a bull.

Again, he talks about the way she throws a dart. What is a “high finish”

And the next sentence – isn’t cork and a bull the same??

What is “two triples”?

M- Na. Might have taken a run at Bob Barker, though.

Down at the commissary been known a tab to help.

M- If the price was right

They are talking about Vana White. They suggest she was fooling around with Bob barker “if the price was right”…

But I can’t understand “the commissary been known a tab to help”???

You had the walk.

Then some Tuesday you woke up a rollover

pussy, just taking shit from everybody-- your wife,

people at work.

Two good friends talk. Is he actually saying “things were going well for you, and then the tables have turned”?

Or is he saying “you walked in an impressive way, and one day you woke up like a worm/ mollusk?

They are 182 shafts.

Shaft - The portion of the dart that holds the flight

Does anyone know what 182 stand for?

and what does "The line is down to" mean here:
It's a phone call

M- Sports action.

M- Yeah, 5412 princess Leia. Go 5412..

M- I want Marshal for 5 dimes.

M- The line is down to 10.

M- I don't care if it's down to 7, Marshal plus the points

is a gift. You want play on this call?

M- Yeah.

Thanks

#163650 11/21/06 09:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On the last one, it's a gambling thing.
M- Sports action.

M- Yeah, 5412 princess Leia. Go 5412.. (bettor no 5412 has given his or her password.

M- I want Marshal for 5 dimes. (and wants to bet $50 on Marshal University, probably in a basketball game.)

M- The line is down to 10. (The bookie warns the gambler that the point spread is down to ten points. This means that if the other team does not beat Marshal by more than 10 points the gambler will win the bet. At exactly 10 points it's a push, with no winner. If the other team wins by more than 10 points the bettor loses the bet.)

M- I don't care if it's down to 7, Marshal plus the points

is a gift. You want play on this call? (The gambler says he wants the bet even if the spread is only seven points, and querulously asks whether the bookie wants the action. There's an implication here that he will take his business elsewhere if there is not instant agreement.)

M- Yeah.

TEd
#163651 11/21/06 10:35 PM
O
ori Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Thanks a lot, got it
six more to go

#163652 11/21/06 10:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
1.Tungsten devastators with the spinning hammer head flights. Sweet. Does anyone know what is a “spinning hammer head flights”?

There are three parts to a "pro" dart; The Flight, the Shaft, The Tip... no four parts: The Flight, the Shaft, The Tip and The Body of the dart which gives the weight, size, grip and overall feel and balance. Hammerhead is trademark/brand and having the end of the shaft that holds the flight allow the flight to spin freely (some feel) help "true" the flight of the dart through the air, yet some feel that the feel that loss of resistance makes the release of the dart more difficult to control... nobody expects the atmospheric inquisition.

2.You do that beautifully. f- Like to think think it's Creole Tudor by way of Lake Charles, Louisiana. He flatters the way she throws a dart. Is that some kind of a style? A style from Louisiana?

I got nothin'.

3.Classic Tudor with a high finish. Nothing but cork, two triples and a bull. Again, he talks about the way she throws a dart. What is a “high finish”

I don't know about the Tudor bit, but the score one gets (in the dart game cricket) from two triples and a Bull would most likely be over one hundred points and to end the game with that throw would be quite impressive. A "high finish" sounds perfectly descriptive.

And the next sentence – isn’t cork and a bull the same??

I can imagine that cork could mean any throw that "scores points" and, of cours, bull is a specific point.

What is “two triples”?

The outside band of different color offers a score double the nominal amount of that piece of the pie. The middle (inside) ring offers a score triple that amount. The center rings are the bull and the bull's eye (double the bull score of 25)

6.They are 182 shafts. Shaft - The portion of the dart that holds the flight. Does anyone know what 182 stand for?

My guess: length of shaft in mm.

#163653 11/21/06 11:46 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
At a guess "nothing but cork" means every dart struck the board which is actually made of cork not board. Thus every dart scored points.

#163654 11/21/06 11:57 PM
O
ori Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Quote:

At a guess "nothing but cork" means every dart struck the board which is actually made of cork not board. Thus every dart scored points.

Cork - The bull's-eye
http://www.diddleforthemiddle.com/glossary.html

thanks

and thanks a lot, musick

and what is
Hit the line
?
he says it right before throwing a dart

Last edited by ori; 11/22/06 12:11 AM.
#163655 11/22/06 08:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome aBoard, ori. Good grief--I honestly thought you had posted some kind of amphigouri. (Hi, Hydra!)

#163656 11/22/06 10:05 PM
O
ori Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Quote:

Welcome aBoard, ori. Good grief--I honestly thought you had posted some kind of amphigouri. (Hi, Hydra!)

It's pretty close.
I'm translating this movie and the dialogues are very unclear.

#163657 11/22/06 11:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ori:

google: darts spinning hammer heads. These are apparently very expensive pro-level darts. http://snipurl.com/1330v

If you do some googling you can find some of the rest of these terms; use dart or darts as part of your google.

182 is apparently a special score in one of the myriad games of darts that are played competitively.

TEd
#163658 11/23/06 12:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

use dart or darts as part of your google.

I love it; a nouned verb from a verbed noun.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith