Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#162967 10/31/06 03:31 PM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am certainly not alone.
Does it cause you to cringe when, in conversation, someone will mis-use (or abuse) a word; based solely on a bad habit?
I have seen well educated people use very stupid phrases with authority.
Some of my favorites are listed in a post on My Blog.
They include:
Supposively,
Irregardless,
Unloosen

And in correspondence it is far to prevalent to see 'loose' where it should be 'lose' and 'myself' where it should be 'me'.

What are the ones YOU find most irritating?

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
#162968 10/31/06 03:47 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Park: Thank you for that link. As a card-carrying prescriptivist, I agree wholeheartedly. However, every usage in "Battered and Abused" has become so common that inevitably they will all be accepted in Merriam, whereupon they will be considered "correct"

dalehileman
#162969 10/31/06 03:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
last night on the Jay Leno show segment "headlines" one headline featured incluced the phrase (illustrating how easy something was) it's not rocket surgery!

I love it.. its not rocket science, its not brain surgery, it's as easy any one can do it.. after all its not rocket surgery!

#162970 10/31/06 04:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"it is far to prevalent to see 'loose' where it should be 'lose'"

Personally, I find it very disturbing that folks substitute 'to' for 'too' so often.

(sorry, but what's a person to do when confronted with a plaint regarding lose/loose..)

#162971 10/31/06 04:50 PM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

Personally, I find it very disturbing that folks substitute 'to' for 'too' so often.

(sorry, but what's a person to do when confronted with a plaint regarding lose/loose..)

Thank you all for the comments.
Was it intentional or merely "poetic irony" that you used 'to' in this post where it should be 'too'?

#162972 10/31/06 05:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you all for the comments.
Was it intentional or merely "poetic irony" that you used 'to' in this post where it should be 'too'?

Parkih, the only place I used 'to' where it should be 'too' was when I copied your line - as I'm sure you know all too well.

#162973 10/31/06 05:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That is pretty funny, especially in the "lose/loose" context, but maybe it was *just a typo? I'm just sayin'...

Welcome to the madhouse, PT.

Edit: I looked a little at your blog and have two observations:

- You've misspelled "linguistic."

- "Orientate" is a perfectly valid form.

Last edited by AnnaStrophic; 10/31/06 05:54 PM.
#162974 10/31/06 06:15 PM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you, AnnaStrophic.

That is an honest typo. My real peeeve is with the usage as such: "...that was orientated the wrong way." It should be "oriented"

And, tsuwm, my apologies. I had completely overlooked the fact that it was a direct quote of my post
I am too new to this forum (in a glass house) to be throwing stones.
Thank you for being kind.

#162975 10/31/06 08:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

My real peeeve is with the usage as such: "...that was orientated the wrong way." It should be "oriented"

welcome PT!

however, the ASp will be back to tell you that orientated is correct as well, as badly as it sounds....

formerly known as etaoin...
#162976 10/31/06 09:19 PM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you etaoin, and thanks for the welcome.
Having been "out of school" the equivalent of many people's entire life, there are numerous changes to which am (reluctantly) becoming accustomed.
Just the other day I was conversing with my (college student) son's girlfriend, who is a literature student, about English sentence structure. While I was going through school, I recall a 'shift' in the labels for the varioius parts of a sentence.
I was originally taught about the:
Subject
Verb
Predicate
Later, it became the:
Subject
Verb
Object

But the evolutionary nature of our language is among the things that keep me fascinated.

Then, of course, I was also led to believe the Brontosaurus existed!

--------------------------
English is a crazy language

#162977 10/31/06 09:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

...the ASp will be back to tell you that orientated is correct as well, as badly as it sounds....

Get with the program, Herr Shrdlu! I already done did.

#162978 10/31/06 09:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
nah, you only mentioned "orientate".

#162979 10/31/06 10:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Say what you will, but orientate is nothing but pure verb. Orient is a verbed noun.

That said, the definition of orient, "to place or arrange so as to face the east" dates to the early 18th century, orientate comes in the mid 19th. Plenty of time to have gotten used to it, IMNSHO.

#162980 11/01/06 12:32 AM
N
addict
addict
N
Welcome, ParkinT! Back to your original post: I've never seen "supposively" but my late mother-in-law frequently said, "supposingly..."

#162981 11/01/06 01:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Say what you will, but orientate is nothing but pure verb. Orient is a verbed noun.

That said, the definition of orient, "to place or arrange so as to face the east" dates to the early 18th century, orientate comes in the mid 19th. Plenty of time to have gotten used to it, IMNSHO.

I don't doubt its validity, I just don't like the sound of it. it sounds un-necessary.

#162982 11/01/06 12:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Even though Jackie hates it ( ), "orientate" -- as far as I know -- is the preferred form in the UK.

Anyway, PT, since you asked: one of my pet peeves is "phenomena" used as a singular.

#162983 11/01/06 12:46 PM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

Even though Jackie hates it ( ), "orientate" -- as far as I know -- is the preferred form in the UK.

Anyway, PT, since you asked: one of my pet peeves is "phenomena" used as a singular.

YES.
That is a big one. As a matter of fact, there are many of those Latin singular/plural terms in our language that cause difficulty.
---
That reminds me of a story.
A film director needed to have a pair of mongoose(s) for a scene. He wrote to a local zoo asking for two of these animals, but was not certain of the correct plural for mongoose.

Is it "mongooses" or is it "mongeese"?

In order to avoid embarrassment, he phrased his request thusly:
Dear sir,
Please send me a mongoose. And, while you are at it, send me another one!

--------
Did you ever wonder...?

#162984 11/01/06 10:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you're going to complain about mongeese being used as the plural of mongoose you should probably complain about titmice being used as the plural of titmouse.

#162985 11/01/06 11:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So, what is the plural of mongoose? There are definitely more than one running around the island here (and ending up roadkill) and I have no idea how to talk about them other than one at a time.

#162986 11/02/06 12:44 AM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Although the plural of mouse is mice. That refers to the small rodent.
In the computer industry, a pointing device (referred to by the name "mouse") is pluralized as mouses.
It may sound a bit strange but is quite sensible.
I have had this discussion with many, many people.
What are your opinions/ideas?

#162987 11/02/06 12:46 AM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

So, what is the plural of mongoose? There are definitely more than one running around the island here (and ending up roadkill) and I have no idea how to talk about them other than one at a time.

I think it would be many mongoose. No?

-------
Did you ever wonder...?

#162988 11/02/06 02:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
c'monguys....

#162989 11/02/06 10:36 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pick your dictionary: I'm partial to the AHD because it gives you both def. and etym. in one groovy swell foop.

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. mon·goos·es
Any of various Old World carnivorous mammals of the genus Herpestes and related genera, having a slender agile body and a long tail and noted for the ability to seize and kill venomous snakes.

ETYMOLOGY: Marathi mangus, of Dravidian origin.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/63/M0386300.html

#162990 11/02/06 11:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

In the computer industry, a pointing device (referred to by the name "mouse") is pluralized as mouses.

I've been in the computer industry for many years and have never heard "mouses" in the wild.

#162991 11/02/06 12:19 PM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

...the definition of orient, "to place or arrange so as to face the east" dates to the early 18th century, orientate comes in the mid 19th. Plenty of time to have gotten used to it, IMNSHO.

So, if you spin an Asian person around do they become disoriented?

{Is there a rule here against puns?}
--------------

#162992 11/02/06 01:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've been in the computer industry for many years and have never heard "mouses" in the wild

I've heard it from the same sort of fussy computer professional who says "these data are", i.e., rarely.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#162993 11/02/06 01:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
orientated is correct No! No! No, it is NOT! I refuse to acknowledge that! [stamping foot e] GRR! [teeth on edge e]
===========================================================

{Is there a rule here against puns?} Heavens, no, though we have at least one member who has very specific ideas on what constitutes a pun.
===========================================================

Dravidian: I found some interesting ref.'s.
name sometimes given to the peoples of S and central India and N Sri Lanka who speak Dravidian languages. They are so called for purely linguistic reasons; the peoples are of varying racial types. It is thought that Dravidian-speaking peoples may have been spread throughout the Indian subcontinent before the invasions of the Aryans.
Bartleby

Dravidian Language Family
Nothing is known definitely about the origin of the Dravidian language family. Dravidian languages were first recognized as an independent family in 1816 by Francis W. Ellis, a British civil servant. The term Dravidian was first employed by Robert A. Caldwell, who introduced the Sanskrit word dravida (which historically meant Tamil) into his Comparative Grammar of the Dravidian or South Indian Family of Languages (1856).

At present, speakers of the Dravidian languages are concentrated in the southern portion of India, while speakers of the Indo-Aryan language predominate in the northern portion of the country. A well-established hypothesis is that Dravidian speakers were originally spread across all of India. The Indo-Aryan languages were not native to India, rather they were introduced by Aryan invaders from the north. A form of Dravidian must have been spoken in northern India before the arrival of the Aryans.
NVTC

The idea of Aryan and Dravidian races is the product of an unscientific, culturally biased form of thinking that saw race in terms of color. There are scientifically speaking, no such things as Aryan or Dravidian races.
hindunet.org

How I wish maahey was still here. I thought her post about Aryans was wonderful.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
As a child I couldn't keep the correct spelling of loose and lose straight until my uncle pointed out that the moose is loose and we are at a loss what to do.
As for mouse:
if the plural of mouse is mice why isn't the plural of spouse spice?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

As for mouse:
if the plural of mouse is mice why isn't the plural of spouse spice?

Humor aside, that's actually an answerable question.

addict
addict
This is a timely thread for me, as I've recently had reason to wonder at seemingly unorthodox usage of singular and plural forms for animals. A friend of mine is currently living in Kenya, helping run a nature reserve there. From time to time he sends us news in the form of an e-mail newsletter, telling us all about the reserve and the animals in it. Well, I've noticed he tends to use the singular form to speak about the animals, even when mentioning several of them or a group. He'll write "If they feel threatened, lion will chase you", or "we saw a group of hyena and a herd of elephant".

What's this all about? Is this kind of usage, I don't know, more taxonomic - used to speak biologically about the animal species as opposed to individual animals?

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
On the original note of annoying idioms there is a TV ad for a house renovation program in which, complaining of unexpected costs the owner moans "This place is turning into a cash cow." It annoys me every time.

For those not familiar with English idioms a cash cow is an easy source of money and goes with "He milked the company of all its assets."

#162998 11/05/06 02:05 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I've recently had reason to wonder at seemingly unorthodox usage of singular and plural forms for animals. A friend of mine is currently living in Kenya, helping run a nature reserve there.
This thought occurs : in some languages -and in some instances - plurals are not used. Perhaps that is the case with your friend in Kenya.
In Hawaiian it is lei for the floral necklace, whether it is one or 21!
And here in New England we have moose. Lots of moose.

old hand
old hand
"we saw a group of hyena and a herd of elephant".
I've seen this sort of thing more than once in print, especially in texts by naturalists or hunters. I thought it was similar to the use of "fish" for a collective.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As someone who has respond to *complaints about my (past) use of "loose" when meant "lose"... the comments came with a good hearted twisted application of my screen name of musick into moose... this in response to my spelling the AWAD member named "Whitman O'Neil" short name for himself (I believe) "WON" as "juan"... it all comes from being taught spelling thru phonetics, yet learning full well exceptions are littered all over that ground.

In the case of "lose", I was finally given a nemonic to remind me of the lost "o".

Why would one "o" be pronounced the same as two "o"'s and change the "s" to a "z" sound? Just use a "u". Ain't that what they're for? That's why we call them "ewez".

Not that I learned all the rules of phonetics, but possibly just the intent (...possibly not).

ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

Why would one "o" be pronounced the same as two "o"'s and change the "s" to a "z" sound? Just use a "u". Ain't that what they're for? That's why we call them "ewez".

I agree emphatically. Well spoken.

Then there is the opposite (yet similar) trouble with "bear/bare", "red/read", et cetera.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Quote:

Coz' English don't need no stinkin' rulz!
(Or at least we don't obey them much.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>I have written the Ultimate Self-Help Book!
The Complete Idiot's Guide for Dummies.

Wow!! Can I have your autograph?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yzc4qj

oops, this was re: PT, not re: Zed!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Which one are you? Dolt or Dullard?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#163005 11/09/06 05:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Which one are you? Dolt or Dullard?

You talkin to me, nunc?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
fwiw, Dolt and Dullard are the putative authors of The Idiot's Guide for Dummies.
-ron o.

Last edited by tsuwm; 11/09/06 05:24 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

fwiw, Dolt and Dullard are the putative authors of The Idiot's Guide for Dummies.
-ron o.

...whence my subject line.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

-ron o.

...whence my subject line.

..whence my signature (and fwiw).

ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

>>I have written the Ultimate Self-Help Book!
The Complete Idiot's Guide for Dummies.

Wow!! Can I have your autograph?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yzc4qj

oops, this was re: PT, not re: Zed!

Well.
I am quite flattered. No, I am not the author of THAT book, but the idea is my own. And I have been prophesing it for over 5 years now.
Not the first time one of my great ideas has been taken

I need to change my signature.

addict
addict
Pompous, campy, solipsistic Aramis is backing Jackie on this one. "Orientate" is retarded and if it shows in any dictionary it is only because of some kind of "enough empty heads are spouting it so we must put it in there" rule. Little doubt "conotate" will be added one day for the same reason.

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
#163011 11/09/06 09:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
~ will have to make a comeback!

connotate
v.
Obs.

[f. connotat-, ppl. stem of med.L. connotare: see CONNOTE.]

1. trans. = CONNOTE 1.
1596 BELL Surv. Popery I. III. iv. 101 They connotate 490 yeares. 1609 {emem} Theoph. & Remig. 124 The inward man doth connotate the soule, and the outward man the body. a1679 T. GOODWIN Wks. III. I. 256 (R.) His repentance was withall significantly connotated thereby. 1697 J. SERGEANT Solid Philos. 51 'Tis impossible to conceive Humanity, for Example, without connotating Homo its Suppositum.

2. Of things or facts; = CONNOTE 2.
1640 BP. REYNOLDS Passions xl. 519 Law and Punishment being Relatives, and mutually connotating each the other. a1660 HAMMOND (J.), God's foreseeing doth not include or connotate predetermining, any more than I decree with my intellect.

OED2

#163012 11/09/06 11:42 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
That they are actual old, actual words proves that antiques are not necessarily beautiful.
Check out your local antique store if you don't believe me. Most of the ugly stuff got turfed but some of it is still around.

ps anna doesn't want my autograph. I'm crushed - welll maybe slightly squeezed.

Last edited by Zed; 11/09/06 11:47 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You talkin to me, nunc?

Nope, I was talking to the poster with the dot sig line.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#163014 11/10/06 02:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if it shows in any dictionary it is only because of some kind of "enough empty heads are spouting it so we must put it in there" rule

The COED is OK with me.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#163015 11/10/06 10:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And remember, the English language is nothing but a collection of usages that were once "incorrect" and words that were once neologisms.

#163016 11/11/06 12:04 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
from the neolexic era.

#163017 11/14/06 02:35 AM
F
stranger
stranger
F
"Orientate" is a perfectly valid form.

Is not. Oughtn't. The verb is "orient."

#163018 11/14/06 10:47 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

The verb is "orient."

Say what you will, but "orient" is a verbed noun; "orientate" has never been anything but a verb.

#163019 11/17/06 06:57 PM
addict
addict
Astounding. Did the dictionary writers make "imaginate" a word too? Certainly tarnate will be in the Oxferd Hillbilly Dikshunary.

#163020 11/17/06 07:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
imaginate - obs. to imagine (ca. 1570) [OED]

#163021 11/17/06 09:19 PM
ParkinT Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
What was old is new again!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 880 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith