Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Has anyone heard, or does anyone use, this expression, or a variation thereof? What does it mean? I understand it's used in a popular reggae song, but I'm looking for earlier citations or more widespread usage.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's what Google brings up--the sixth one mentions "classic":
web page

addict
addict
Partly from inference and in this context in a UC Berkeley News article, it appears to mean providing, perhaps unwittingly, for something ruthless or contemptible (not that snakes are).

"Our jobs (teaching journalism) seem to be to fatten frogs for the snakes," says Drummond, noting the young reporters being hired just out of school by "multi-national, money-making machines."

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
addict
addict
Another example that comes to mind especially of late is paying for the UN. That could fit what the phrase seems to mean.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
~ v. [1950's] to prepare a victim (including oneself) for exploitation by a criminal or trickster-- Casdsell's Dict of Slang

It's a genuine neologism and for one, I'd appreciate any variations on this def--Thanks guys

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
Another example that comes to mind especially of late is paying for the UN. Could you please explain that a little more to me. I can't see the analogy/similarity with the journalists' school example, which makes eminent sense to me.

addict
addict
It does not fit the mould neatly but the idea is of providing a forum [within one's own borders, no less] for tirades from certain tin-plated dictators (these would be the fork-tongued serpents in this case). The sentiment is one of "This is not what we had in mind. Let's feed some NATO frogs instead."

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

Has anyone heard, or does anyone use, this expression, or a variation thereof? What does it mean? I understand it's used in a popular reggae song, but I'm looking for earlier citations or more widespread usage.

The phrase "fattening frogs for snakes" was endemic to the southern Culture of my childhood. My friend "Sonny Boy" Williamson gave the folk saying wider currency with his recording of the same name in 1957. The lyrics explain the meaning...

I found out my downfall in nineteen and thirty eight
Yeah man,
I found out my downfall back in nineteen thirty eight
(I started checking)
I'm telling all my friends I not fattenin' no more frogs for snakes.

Yes, here it is nineteen and fifty-seven and I got to correct all my mistakes
Yeah man, nineteen fifty seven and I gotta correct all of my mistakes
I'm telling all my friends including my wife I not fattenin' no more frogs for snakes.

In other words, keeping up a woman, for other men to use sexually.

I sang this song while Sonny Boy played his harmonica as we rode to a liquor store in the back seat of a '48 Dodge in 1957. Sonny Boy (what a guy) would phone me whenever he visited Birmingham.

Beautiful memories.

"Deadly" Snakes might be the name of a group that later recorded this "Sonny Boy" song.

Last edited by themilum; 09/30/06 12:23 AM.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith