Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
veteran
veteran
B
I just remembered another presidential one-liner.

Calvin Coolidge, who was notorious for brevity, came back from chuch one Sunday. His wife was at home, not having felt well, and she asked, "What was the sermon about?" Coolidge replied, "Sin." She asked, "Well, what did he say?" Cal replied, "He was against it."

S
S
Who had that other great White House oneliner? Bess Truman? Eleanor Roosevelt? She said something to the effect of, "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit beside me."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Alice! I think she was Teddy daughter or maybe granddaughter-- cousin to Eleanor and Franklin

#16243 01/26/01 09:58 PM
B
addict
addict
B
I can't remember who was meant to have said it to whom - some society beauty to a leading politician - but the conversation was along the lines of:

'We should consider marriage. Consider - a child with my looks and your brains.'

'No thanks! Consider a child with my looks and your brains.'

I was fool enough to apply this once to someone who was boasting about his mother who had a doctorate and father who had played rubgy at an international level...

#16244 01/27/01 04:31 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I think the best one-line I ever came up with was just two words long...

I was being interviewed for a job by the President and Vice-President when they decided to ask a physcological question (I guess they must have read some book that said they should). The point of those is to see how you react as much as what you answer. This is what they asked...

"If you were stuck on a desert island and you could have one thing with you, only one thing...what would it be"

I replied...

"a boat"

#16245 01/27/01 02:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I met Alice Roosevelt Longworth when I was a young kid living in DC. Somehow my parents wangled an invitation to a party and I somehow wangled an invitation to go with them. She was a very nice little old lady who ruled DC's social scene for many yers, along with a lady named Perle Mesta.

Alice was TR's daughter and from the pictures of her in her youth darn fine looking. She married a guy named Longworth who was very much her senior and who is the person for whom the Longworth House Office Building is named.

Alice's birth caused the death of TR's first and much adored wife, whose name I think might have been Anne. TR was distraught as he had married very much for love, and farmed out Alice because there was just too much pain involved in even holding her in his arms. When she was much older TR resumed his parental relationship with her.

I don't remember what she and I talked about, as I was only 7 or so, but somewhere around there's a picture of me and her together. I think my younger brother has it.

TEd
#16246 01/29/01 04:50 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
a child with my looks ...
It was George Bernard Shaw and Isadora Duncan.

#16247 01/29/01 08:33 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There is a story that at one White House party, Mrs Longworth lit up a cigarette at a reception and was approached by frowning functionary who admonished her that there was no smoking allowed in the White House. She reportedly replied "Young man I was smoking in the White House before you were born, now get me an ashtray." Word has it he did.
wow

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Having seen the film "The Dish" recently, as I posted in another thread, I was reminded of Neil Armstrong's immortal words:

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".

I admire the (intended) sentiments, allegedly Neil's own words, not those of NASA or the US government, but it has always bugged me that he left out the critical article "a", thus seriously undermining the meaning. Indeed the quote is sometimes rendered as:
"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind".

I have heard Armstrong claim that he said the "a", but that it was nabbed by gremlins in the communication system. I tend to believe the alternative theory that in his nervous state he fluffed the line. But hell, who can blame him? I go weak at the knees on a stepladder.

Post-script: Thought I'd google the subject before posting. Here's just one of the thousands of results:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_362.html

#16249 02/01/01 01:40 AM
F
F
That reminds me of advice I heard for a job interview: When they asks what you consider your weaknesses to be, reply - with a straight face - "Kryptonite."

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith