Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#160727 06/26/06 06:13 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Until just recently it has been de riguer for a family to share its copies of Windows/Word/Outlook etc, ours being one. But I understand that technically, the practice is a felony

Now Bill is evidently cracking down, as I have been getting solicitations for action, such as the links "Get Genuine" and "Resolve Later", with ominous messages such as "This copy of Windows is not genuine" and "Your system may be at risk"

To further badger us, just in the last couple of days Bill has been blanking out the "Resolve Later" link presumably in the hope that ignoramuses such as I will conclude they no longer have a choice and therefore should click on "Get Genuine"

Now, I don't blame Bill, and I hate to continue being a felon. But there are two kinds of laws: those the Establishment enforces, like murder and bank robbery, and those that it doesn't, like cohabitation and polygamy

I wonder if anyone can provide an authoritative reading on this situation--Thanks all

dalehileman
#160728 06/26/06 07:23 PM
addict
addict
No doubt Dostoyevsky would have an interesting take on that. Aramis once saw [not read, but saw] a thick book titled Morals and Dogma. Putting long odds a good answer is somewhere in there.

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
#160729 06/26/06 07:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A-some of these pop ups are ads, not features/plagues of windows--they sometimes have nothing to do with bill gates or Microsoft. they are just trying to sell you something.

B-its technically illegal to buy a CD, rip it into mp3 files for your i-pod, and to make a tape copy for your car. rarely do corporations go after individuals who do this, its the wholesale abusers who are procsicuted. but its still illegal all the same. its been this way since long before bill gates came on the scene. Napster is defunct as a file swapping site, but only a few file swappers suffered any legal reprocussions.

c--Window's (and Most MS products) are licence to the hardware.
one copy per peice of hardware, (no matter how many people share the hardware)

some software is licenced to USER (one user, no matter how many piece of hard ware)

Word Perfect, for instance is licenced to USER. a user can have 3 copies, (one on home machine, one on work machine, one on laptop) but only one person is registered user is allowed per licenced copy of the software.

in either case, a family of 2 or 3 users is suppose to own 2 or 3 copies, (one copy per machine OR one copy per user)
you don't have to use MSWord, WP is totally compatable. (and cheaper)and there are other word processing programs out there that are cheaper than both MSword and WP.

blaiming bill gates(or anyone) is just a way to say "i am powerless to do anything." if you chose to be powerless, that is your responsiblitity, and not a problem for me to solve.

#160730 06/26/06 09:08 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Why, Helen, delightful to hear from you again, and thank you for the rundown

My feeble attempts at humor, a form of persiflage, are misunderstood by some, and to those I apologize most profusely

As far as blaming Bill is concerned, I vaguely recall saying "I don't blame Bill." Indeed if I were he I would join you in not liking my kind at all

dalehileman
#160731 06/28/06 02:46 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
So when I composed a reply to your criticism above, defending Bill Gates, had it in a final state of perfection, and attempted to submit it, I received an error message to the effect that I had omitted something. But when I attempted a return to my followup in order to correct the supposed omission, it had been summarily deleted in its entirety

Thus the Illuminati will recognize that I mean Bill as merely a symbol for everything that’s wrong with the Software World

Actually I admire Bill for his entrepreneurship and charitable works. However, he is by no means innocent in creating a Software World so disposed to the attack of evildoers as to require the average user to subscribe to countermeasures requiring regular updates by a team of experts, at significant cost; invest in hardware using selective signal processing...

...and last but not least, learn a litany of special rules (eg, yes, yes, you’ve done everything you can; but still don’t open email attachments; learn how to selectively reject cookies and be sure to regularly delete worthless temporary files lest they choke off your C:)...

...that the cynic is tempted to conclude that early on Bill must have surreptitiously acquired stock in Norton, Netscape, and other titans of the Antigarbage Industry

dalehileman
#160732 06/28/06 11:58 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Dale, I do recognize that you intend to use Bill Gates as a symbol for what’s wrong with the software world, but it does get unimaginatively repetitious.

From the other posts I’ve seen of yours, you are better than that, so I don’t know how you got into that rut. But it’s your rut, so if you’re comfortable in it [shrugging-shoulder-e] I just skip over those posts and move to the other ones so it doesn't really annoy me.

As to the other argument, I’m up for a little debate. I think the argument doesn’t hold water.

When somebody first creates something, the hope is to create the best thing possible using the tools and knowledge at hand. You can’t know the future and what will be invented to screw up your invention. And, if some jerk then goes about making it his life’s mission to ruin the invention, how is that the fault of the creator?

It is a sad thing, but there are some people who revel in distruction. Instead of admiring the creation of a tower and helping to elaborate it, they have only the need to make it topple.

Last edited by belMarduk; 06/28/06 11:59 PM.
#160733 06/29/06 06:26 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it

dalehileman
#160734 06/29/06 07:18 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
That's just it though, some people really feel that way, but I don't understand it. I don't understand the need to break things.

I'd understand if they thought there was a better way, and had suggestions on improvements, but breaking something just for the hell of it is beyond my comprehension.

#160735 06/29/06 09:28 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Dale, here's an article you might find useful...

News.com on new WGA

#160736 06/29/06 11:33 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Myr thank you for that link

dalehileman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith