Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#15825 01/17/01 07:57 PM
C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Speaking of local idioms...in another post...what about the varied names for a certain kind of sandwich:
Hoagie
Sub (Submarine)
Hero
Torpedo

And when you want a cola...the general request is for a "Coke". Rarely have I heard the specific request for a "Pepsi". Flavored sodas in this area are called "pop".

In New Jersey, where I spent most of my life, if you wanted a pizza, a REAL pizza that is, you would ask for a "tomato pie".

Anyone want to share their local food names?

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"

#15826 01/17/01 08:41 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The Hoagie/Sub/Hero/Torpedo can also be called a "grinder" around here, but anyone would understand what was meant by any of the terms.

Soda pop is shortened to "pop," although I get grief from people in other parts of the country for not calling it "soda." I say, which is the shorter abbreviation of soda pop, and which doesn't get confused with soda water???

I gave up trying to order either Coke or Pepsi, invariably to have the waiter inform me that they carried the other brand, or the generic cola, only to have the waiter check to see if Coke, or Pepsi, was OK, and have now resorted to ordering "diet brown."

#15827 01/17/01 08:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Back in Boston in the old days I don't know what pop would've gotten you. The generic term for soft drinks was tonic pronounced [tawnic].

#15828 01/17/01 09:26 PM
L
L
It's not my local dish, but I've been told the cold people in the Northern U.S. (Minnesota, Wisconsin) have something called "hotdish". It is a sort of casserole consisting of a pale meat, a pale vegetable and a binder. For example, turkey, peas and mushroom soup, or ground beef, celery and cream of celery soup. A friend said the number of combinations is mind-boggling, and she's actually found one she liked.

#15829 01/17/01 09:56 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
in Boston the generic term for soft drinks was tonic pronounced tawnic.

Ahhhh, yes indeedy! I took my tawnic to Houston in 1952 and got a befuddled look... tonic in Texas is on the order of Lydia Pinkham's Pills for Pale People.
As to ice cream based drinks.
In New England milk and ice cream whipped together is a frappe, but on a drive to west coast I learned to call it a "cabinet" somewhere in the mid-west.

Back in Boston if you ordered a "soda" you got syrup, carbonated soda and a scoop of ice cream perched precariously on the side of the glass.

In Pennsylvannia's Dutch Country (around Lancaster) I was introduced to Shoo Fly Pie, a molasses based pie which I've never found anywhere else. Yum.

To me the All American desert is apple pie. Whatever part of the USA you're in apple pie is apple pie! As in the euphemistic "war cry" -- "For God, Country, Mother and Apple Pie!"

wow

#15830 01/17/01 10:03 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Good Gawd! I don't believe I did it. desert...nononono..... apple pie is dessert.
It's also good for breakfast!
wow

#15831 01/17/01 11:39 PM
C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
apple pie for breakfast

Absolutely for breakfast in New England with a wedge of cheddar cheese and "red flannel hash"!

#15832 01/18/01 01:51 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"Hotdish" reminds me that pasties (flat a) are regional. A pastie is a single-serving sized pastry crust, roughly rectangular, stuffed with meat, gravy and a veggie or two, the veggie usually being a root veg, especially turnip.

And malts: my grandfather, who was an electrician who traveled around the country working on railroads and at large projects, liked to tell of the time he was on the east coast for several months over a summer, working on something or other. Every evening, he would walk from his place of work to his room, and pass a drug store which had a soda fountain. He would stop there and order a malted, per the sign which indicated that malteds were 25 cents. The first time, the soda jerk made a malted with a single scoop of ice cream, and it was too runny for Grandpa. The next time, he asked the clerk to make the malted with two scoops. The clerk was aghast, but agreed to make the malted with the double ice cream if Grandpa would pay an extra 25 cents. Grandpa agreed, and so every day, he stopped and got his double-thick malted. After about a week, other people started ordering malteds that way, and then next time Grandpa went to the store, a sign in the window advertised their new specialty, "Western Malteds. 50 cents."

#15833 01/18/01 08:22 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>apple pie is dessert.
It's also good for breakfast!

Oh - wonderful - that will make you a Yankee then!
I'd been sent a "definition" of Yankee ages ago by a friend and I'd assumed that the bit about apple pie for breakfast was a joke as I'd never heard of it!

To people outside the USA, a Yankee is someone who lives in the US.
To someone who lives in the USA, a Yankee is someone who lives in the North.
To a Northerner, a Yankee is someone who lives in New England.
To a New Englander, a Yankee is someone who lives in New Hampshire.
To someone who lives in New Hampshire, a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

#15834 01/18/01 08:51 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I don't think that we use the term soda very much.

People used to have those soda fountain things on their "in house built-in-bars" which pumped out soda water (to go with whisky, I assume)- I never really knew why anyone would want it as it tasted fairly unpleasant. Shops still sell soda water in bottles as a mixer drink. I think it is still sold to go with whisky but I've never actually heard anyone ask for whisky and soda. It tends to be whisky (blended) and Canada Dry (for my parents' generation), malt whisky is better without any additions.

We can buy soda fountains/Sodastreams which is presumably based on the US usage as sticky concoctions are added to make not very convincing fizzy drinks. I don't think that we never had places called soda fountains (maybe because we could buy soft drinks in pubs).

There was a fashion for ice cream soda which my uncle used to buy for me at his favourite "Milk Bar".

In the North of England fizzy drinks were always (and maybe still are) called "pop". There even used to be a pop delivery van.

The word for drinks that have to be diluted was always cordial or squash in my family. I say a sign in a hotel in the US saying that soda was free but there was a charge for cordials. I was surprised, as I would have thought that cordial was cheaper. I hadn't realised that the word cordial was used to refer to alcoholic drinks.

On the subject of fizzy drinks. Lemonade is clear fizzy stuff with a vague taste of lemon - it's taste of lemon tends to be directly proportional to the price paid. The rather up-market fizzy stuff that actually looks lemon coloured and tastes of lemon, tends to be called "old fashioned lemonade" with the words "old fashioned" seen as an extra selling point. Some places sell Seven Up as lemonade but I think it has lemon and lime (but I could be wrong). Fizzy lemon and lime has the same chemical taste of lemonade but had extra lurid green dye. You can sometimes get the real still old fashioned lemonade sold in the US as lemonade, it is sometimes called lemon juice but you may need to be careful, otherwise you could end up with pure squeezed lemon.

As mentioned earlier, Coca Cola tends to be Coke, even if it is Pespi although "own brands" tend to call their stuff cola - often even more revolting than the real aircraft cleaning fluid sold as a drink.

I think that, like other foods, terms for drinks have regional/generational variations, so don't be suprised if someone from another part of the UK disagrees!

#15835 01/18/01 10:03 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Hotdish" reminds me that pasties (flat a) are regional. A pastie is a single-serving sized pastry crust, roughly rectangular, stuffed with meat, gravy and a veggie or two, the veggie usually being a root veg, especially turnip

Our pasties (preferably from Corwall) are definitely semi-circular, never rectangular. The ones sold outside Cornwall are nowhere near as good.

The Cornish Pastie was invented by Cornish housewives who wished to ensure that the husbands who worked down tin mines had proper food during the day. The thick, half round crust was baked so that the worker could hold his pastie without having to wash his hands, thereby losing valuable work time - when the pastie was eaten, the crust was thrown away.
For a picture see:-
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/alan.richards/cornish2.htm

Next question: What is "a malted"?

#15836 01/18/01 10:51 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Hotdish" reminds me that pasties (flat a) are regional

Following my last post, I decided to find some more information about pasties. It seems that the term is more regional than I had thought - see this website of words which could cause embarrassment:
http://wtfaculty.wtamu.edu/~jrothfork/US-UK-English.htm

#15837 01/18/01 12:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jo asks: What is "a malted"?

It is a milk shake (the standard US term, milk and ice cream whirred together with some flavoring) with the addition of a malt powder, the exact nature of which I do not know, but I doubt I would ever use it to make beer.

I also suddenly remembered the phosphate, a soda fountain drink available in, at least, Iowa during the 50s. Presumably it used phosphorus instead of sodium.

And, jo, thanks for the dangerous slang warning site.

#15838 01/18/01 01:00 PM
C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Lemon fizzy as added to lager in the UK is called a "Shandie" or "Shandy"? The lemon fizz used when we had them "over there" was from a tap. When we make them at home, we use Sprite (a lemony, sweet soda with carbonation).

Americans tend to look at us aghast when we order these in a restaurant, as they've NEVER heard of anyone adding something to beer or lager. We enjoy "educating" the bartenders/waiters/waitresses and love to see the expressions on their faces when we tell them the ingredients! Horror mostly!

#15839 01/18/01 01:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Chickie contributes: Lemon fizzy as added to lager in the UK is called a "Shandie" or "Shandy"?

We drank these at a bar (the Student Prince?) in Virginia Beach during my sailor days. The standard was Guinness and Schweppes Bitter Lemon. We also did a Black and Tan Shandy which was Guinness, Bass Ale and Bitter Lemon. The bar standard was half and half Guinness and Bitter Lemon. We bought the ingredients separately and mixed our own, significantly lighter on the Bitter Lemon. The Black and Tans we mixed were also somewhat lighter on the Bass than on the Guinness.

Incidentally, the norm these days for half and half in American bars is to pour the Guinness carefully over the Bass so as not to mix the two ingredients. This gives you a drink with a golden bronze lower layer with a black black upper layer. Is this the standard for half and half in Britain?

#15840 01/18/01 02:39 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

pie for breakfast

and in Pennsylvania Dutch country, they eat shoofly pie for breakfast (or whatever other kind of pie, chiefly fruit pie, there happens to be). In this, and other rural cultures where heavy meals are needed by people who labor hard, pie is a staple; it's eaten at almost every meal. Cake, on the other hand, is for special occasions.

Regarding fizzy drinks, there is, in NY and northwards, the egg cream, which contains neither egg nor cream, but is basically selzer or carbonated water and chocolate syrup.

#15841 01/18/01 03:00 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
All of which reminds me of being struck dumb with incomprehension while purchasing an ice cream cone.

A little background: the Great Lakes area of the US contains serious dairy country, and Michiganians bear the dubious distinction of eating more ice cream per capita than the inhabitants of any other state. We take our dairy as important business, and there are relatively strict laws on the content and labeling of dairy products (even more so in Wisconsin, the dairy state). In Michigan, "ice cream" must contain at least 10% milk fat and at least 20% total milk solids; frozen confections containing lesser amounts are called ice milk, or, in the case of the stuff dispensed by machine at cone stands, soft serve.

Anyway, I was in DC on business, and was wandering a mall one afternoon killing time, when I came upon an ice cream kiosk. I went up and ordered a scoop of ice cream in a cone, and the clerk asked me whether I wanted hard ice cream or soft ice cream. I stood there for a moment, dazed at the possibility that she was offering to give me a half-melted scoop of ice cream in a cone, until I realized that "soft ice cream" meant soft serve.

#15842 01/18/01 03:18 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
the norm these days for half and half in American bars is >to pour the Guinness carefully over the Bass so as not to mix the two ingredients. This gives you a drink with a golden bronze lower layer with a black black upper layer. Is this the standard for half and half in Britain?

It wasn't when I was younger and I haven't drunk that kind of thing for a long time, so I'll rely on trendier types (Shanks are you there) for local knowledge. Some people used to ask for a pint of "mixed" which was half bitter, half mild. I've heard of Black and Tans (Guiness and mild) but never seen them separated like in the following picture:
http://www.schremppstudio.com/beer.html

According to the Guiness website below.
Q: How do I pour a Black and Tan?
A: Steve Glover, who has tended bar in Ireland, says that the layered Black and Tan is an American affectation that they were happy to do for extra money :-). Otherwise, both beers (they used Smithwicks and Guinness) were simply poured in the same glass fully mixed.
Q: Is there any meaning to the Black & Tan name other than its obvious reference to the colours of the beers?
A: Yes. The first known reference to the expression Black & Tan was in reference to a breed of beagles used as hunting dogs in Ireland.
The term was also used to refer to a a regiment of British soldiers recruited to serve in Ireland after the First World War. They had a reputation for being quite brutal and have been accused of many attrocities against the Irish in the years 1919-21.
http://www.ivo.se/guinness/bnt.html

It sounds like, along with Irish Coffee (Buena Vista, San Francisco), the Black and Tan was invented in the USA.

Here's the song:
Come Out ye Black & Tans!
I was born on a Dublin street
Where the loyal drums did beat
And those bloody English feet
They walked all over us!
But every single night
When me Da would come home tight,
He'd invite the neighbours out
With this chorus:

Come out ye Black & Tans!
Come out and fight me like a man.
Show your wife how you won medals
Down in Flanders.
Tell her how the IRA
Made you run like hell away
From the green and lovely lanes
Of Killeshandra!

#15843 01/18/01 03:25 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I would think that a shandy in America would be quite different to here. Schweppes bitter lemon or Sprite would be much more lemony. Bar lemonade, on tap is mainly chemical, think sweetened soda water with the merest hint of lemon, so all it does is dilute and sweeten the drink. I've seen bitter shandy, lager shandy but never Black and Tan shandy - maybe I haven't lived!

They sell/used to sell shandy in cans for children/non-drinkers but it just tastes of sweet brown chemicals.

When I was growing up some people used to drink lager and blackcurrant. It was difficult to get as bartenders used to say that it made people think that the beer had gone off!

#15844 01/18/01 03:55 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
To someone who lives in New Hampshire, a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

Heard another version, dear jmh
"To someone who lives in New Hampshire Yankees are those who put butter on thier pie!"
she says as a New Hampshire Yankee.
Don't knock it until you try it. A slice of warm apple pie and a nice bit o' butter spread on it. Of course if it's for a snack then you eat it while standing and holding the pie in your hand .... a old-time-Yankee aberration known as "Hand pie."
wow

#15845 01/18/01 04:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think we invented this one. The bar served Black and Tans and they served Guinness shandies but not the combination. We'd be a large round tableful of sailors and we'd order eight or ten Guinnesses, maybe six or seven Bass Ales and a bottle of Bitter Lemon. As the stock of any ingredient dropped below the reorder point we'd resupply.

We also used Bitter Lemon as a mixer with Everclear in college at maybe one part BL to four or five parts Ec.

#15846 01/18/01 04:20 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I've got a couple of favorite variations on adding things to beer. I used to work in a microbrewery (in the US) and we had an ice cream shop next door. We used to drop a scoop of ice cream into a pint of stout and make stout floats. The contrast of sweet and bitter, with a creamy taste throughout, was lovely (even better when it was raspberry stout season).

In Mexico, and especially in Mexico City, they make a drink called a michelada, which is very light Mexican beer (Corona, Sol, etc.) poured into a frosted glass, in which is some crushed ice and lime juice, and with a salted rim. Sounds a bit odd, but it's really perfect on a hot, hot day.

#15847 01/18/01 05:02 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Anyone ever have Guiness and Champagne? It was a favorite in my family when the Guiness could be obtained in the 1940s.
wow

#15848 01/18/01 05:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here in the Denver area we have Rocky Mountain oysters. NOT sure you want to know what they are, but lets put it this way: they serve big ones when the bullfighter wins, and small ones when the bull wins.

TEd
#15849 01/18/01 05:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In NY, you can also get a "snakebit" have beer/lager half cider (english type, brewed, 4 to 6% alcohol) its a good combo.

Brewed cider has become very popular, most bars have one or more brands on tap. It's what i drink when the guys are drinking beers.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
and as for "Malt"-- it is a flour make from malted barley. Some times is has extra sugar or flavorings.
like malt syrup or even "barley water" its slightly sweet, and flavorful. You can buy Malt powder, or other beverages with malt--
"Ovaltine" is a childrens beverage, made with hot milk and Ovaltine. Ovaltine has a mild chocolate flavor, and the drink is something like cocoa.

I've never done it, but i suspect you could add malt to water, ferment it, and end up with something...

#15850 01/18/01 05:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ted, here they're called just "mountain oysters", and no, I don't care to ever try one, thanks. Also, your def. of gorevan made me laugh out loud! U R kewl(thanx Max for the spelling hint.)

#15851 01/18/01 05:46 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

Ted, here they're called just "mountain oysters", and no, I don't care to ever try one, thanks. Also, your def. of gorevan made me laugh out loud!

Here also, and last night I was almost induced to bushusuru when I heard of a female farmhand would bite them off while the source was alive!!! (Here the most common source is ovine, not bovine)

#15852 01/18/01 05:47 PM
C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ah...AKA "prairie oysters". Never had one, never want one

About the apple pie and butter...if you put the butter on and then "nuke" it in the microwave...yum!

And about shandies proportions in the UK: I believe it was half and half. But who remembers after you've had a few and you're having fun?!

#15853 01/18/01 05:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh--
In reply to:

Here also, and last night I was almost induced to bushusuru when I heard of a female farmhand would bite them off while the source was alive!!!

I thought it was in scotland that all the men where strong, the woman stoic, and sheep scared!

I guess in scotland the sheep only have to fear the men!

#15854 01/18/01 06:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've seen Guinness and champagne offered in bars called Black Velvet, I think. Never had it though.

#15855 01/18/01 06:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

I thought it was in scotland that all the men where strong, the woman stoic, and sheep scared!

A little clarification of my earlier post may be in order. Among certain sectors of NZ society, lamb's tails are considered a delicacy. Theses are normally obtained, or so I'm told with a simple, swift, slash. For male lambs the cut is extended to remove their "mountain oysters" at the same time. The farmhand in question would bite them off from the severed tail, not while they were still attached. That misconception was waht made me feel sick, although the clarification provided little amelioration.

#15856 01/18/01 09:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And then there is the refugee family who have been here a little over a year, and last week wanted to celebrate their baby's first birthday with party food that they were used to. I wasn't there, but my friend tells me it involved a goat on the hoof and the bathtub...bushusuru time for me,
just about, from the ...oh, I can't even think of it enough to write any more.

#15857 01/18/01 09:48 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Ah yes, Ovaltine
as in:
"We are the Ovaltinies, little girls and boys
Make your requests, we'll not refuse you
We are here just to amuse you
Would you like a song or story?
Will you share our joys?
At games and sports we're more than keen
No merrier children can be seen
Because we all drink Ovaltine
We're happy girls and boys."

Of course I'm too young to remember it in full but its amazing what you can find in Louisville:
http://www.louisville.com/loumag/oct/online10.htm

PS They didn't spellcheck with Aenigma when thinking up the name Ovaltine!

#15858 01/18/01 09:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ovaltine

Don't tell Little Orphan Annie.

#15859 01/18/01 09:55 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>ovaltine - Don't tell Little Orphan Annie

I wont if you wont.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Speaking of happy children and food ads...

http://www.vegemite.com.au/music.html

...and I don't think Kraft would be happy with Aenigma's spoof "We're happy little vegetables" either.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Marty,
The song was a hoot! Loved it!
Tried vegamite .... gleeech.
Sorry.
wow

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Tried vegemite .... gleeech.
Sorry.

No need to apologize, wow, I'm with you on that one. Axle-grease is the word that comes to mind. Sorry is what I feel for the people who do like it. I prefer my salt spread over a lifetime rather than one piece of bread.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I prefer my salt spread over a lifetime rather than one piece of bread.
[instructive rant]
This sounds like another philistine who spreads Vegemite as though it were jam, or peanut butter. Vegemite should be smeared thinly, heavy stress on thinly, in order to truly appreciate its magnificence. A 5 gram container, the sizer you get with hotel breakfasts should do for at least three slices of toast. [/instructive rant]

#15864 01/18/01 10:49 PM
F
addict
addict
F
Here's a VERY local idiom for soft-serve ice cream. Though I've lived in Boston my whole life, I had never heard a soft-serve ice cream cone called "a creemee" (pronounced like creamy). That's what it's called here in Vermont, though. On warm summer nights the whole town can be found at the local creemee stand.

What I wouldn't give for a warm summer night...

#15865 01/18/01 10:51 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I know that it is a national dish ... (can I bear to ask)

I was wondering is Vegemite the same/similar to/ fundamentaly different from ... Marmite

#15866 01/18/01 10:57 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Both Vegemite and Marmite and yeast extracts, both have distinctive flavours, with their attendant followers - I'm in the Vegemite camp myself.

#15867 01/18/01 11:13 PM
D
addict
addict
D
What about sarnie and butty? They're English slang, as I understand it, and I always thought they meant sandwich. Am I much mistaken?

And I'm not even going to start a discussion about the difference between American and English pie (although one fears I may have done just that).

#15868 01/18/01 11:52 PM
old hand
old hand
Re Pasties

The town of Burra Burra in South Australia was put on the map in the late 1800's (can't say last century any more!!) by its large copper deposit - mined until the 1970's. (O/S Wordies may recall the film "Breaker Morant"? - it was filmed there - remember the beautiful metal gazebo/bandstand in the park?)

As was the case in most Australian mines of the day, most of the miners were of Cornish stock, many of whom had made the trek from Broken Hill in NSW by foot (no mean feat, hundreds of miles across some pretty harsh & dry country).

Anyway, the miners' lunches consisted of what we would refer to as pasties, they however called them "Tiddy Oddies" - ie small odds & ends/leftovers (wrapped in pastry).

Don't know if it's still there, but in 1982 this was the name of the local cafe/diner.

stales

#15869 01/19/01 12:08 AM
old hand
old hand
We're not that clever in Australia (there's no need to add any comments Cap K!!) when it comes to naming food - have even given a Russian name to perhaps our most famous dish - Pavlova.

Our tendency is, wherever possible in the spoken word, to take as many shortcuts as possible, or round off a word with a superfluous syllable.

Thus, "sandwiches" are referred to throughout the land as "sarnies" and/or "sangers". The latter seems to have changed meaning over the past 25 years, back then it referred primarily to a sausage - especially those put on the barbie. To show how flexible we are, BBQ'd sausages wrapped in bread are known as "sanger sarnies". Easy!!

PS The Subway chain is doing its best to edjamacate us into using "sub", but it'll be a long time before a cylindrical sarnie is known as anything other than a "roll" in Oz.

PPS "Hoagie"???? Where the hell did that come from (or didn't I read all the post?)

stales

#15870 01/19/01 12:17 AM
old hand
old hand
I've always assumed the fluffy, overflowing concoction created by combining "flavoured aerated water" (fizzy drink, soda pop - call it what you will) and a scoop of ice cream was globally known as a "Spider".

Is this the case?

(Compulsory order at the legendary Paragon Milk Bar in Katoomba, New South Wales (BTW, milk bar = cafe in NSW) is a pie floater, chips and a lime spider. Hmmm, is this why my cholesterol is 6.9?)

stales

#15871 01/19/01 12:24 AM
old hand
old hand
Max - I thought Marmite was a beef extract? Vegemite is a yeast extract - urban mythology has it as a product of the spent yeast from the breweries.

stales

#15872 01/19/01 12:24 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Stales stirred up turbulent waters by declaring in Australia - have even given a Russian name to perhaps our most famous dish - Pavlova.

Now, them's fighting words!! I know hundreds of Kiwis who would happily form death squads to avenge any attempt by an Ocker to claim Pavlova as Australian, when all sentient hominids know that it was invented in NZ

#15873 01/19/01 12:26 AM
C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
And does anyone remember Maypo? Remember the little kid in the cartoon commercial? His famous line was "Horses get fed first".
And Marshmallow Fluff which my bro would put on a piece of bread with peanut butter. Ah...the 50s! The good old days! NOT!

#15874 01/19/01 12:57 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

D
addict
addict
D
Tried vegemite .... gleeech.

What's wrong with vegemite??? (spoken by a true blue Aussie)

Rapport was established superficially.

#15876 01/19/01 01:10 AM
D
addict
addict
D
I've always assumed the fluffy, overflowing concoction created by combining "flavoured aerated water" (fizzy drink, soda pop - call it what you will) and a scoop of ice cream was globally known as a "Spider".

I have to agree with you on that one. Maybe it's just another of our Australianisms.

#15877 01/19/01 01:14 AM
D
addict
addict
D
...in Australia - have even given a Russian name to perhaps our most famous dish - Pavlova.

Now, them's fighting words!! I know hundreds of Kiwis who would happily form death squads to avenge any attempt by an Ocker to claim Pavlova as Australian, when all sentient hominids know that it was invented in NZ.

What about other famous Australian icons like Pharlap, Crowded House and Split Enz? Oh, and how could I forget Russel Crowe?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
All right, shame on all of you. Here I am, away for all of one week and we have people adding stuff to beer. Blasphemy I say. Where’s Shona when the sanctity of beer needs to be protected, harrumph. .

Marmite in Quebec doesn’t refer to a food but a big ole stew pot. One of those heavy, cast iron or stainless steel ones with a heavy lid.

Oh Jo, I am so glad you posted the url to tell of the other meaning for pasties. I nearly choked on my coffee when the guys were talking about edible pasties. You could get arrested for that here .

And a bit of a mix of posts from this thread….apple pie à la mode = a hot piece of apple pie with a scoop of ice cream on top. HEAVENLY!!! Real ice cream though – none of that soft stuff - I don’t even think that stuff is a dairy product AT ALL.

Well I’m off again. It’s nice to see so many new members. I’m looking forward to meeting you all. Everything should fall into place next week so I will be able to come back.

#15879 01/19/01 03:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max declared, stoutly for such a little fella: when all sentient hominids know that it was invented in NZ

sentient ... hominid ... Australia ... Hmmm.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#15880 01/19/01 03:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
stales wails: Vegemite is a yeast extract - urban mythology has it as a product of the spent yeast from the breweries

For once, urban mythology isn't so wrong. I listened to a radio programme years ago which spent an absorbing 30 minutes discussing the origins of Vegemite (yum). It was apparently the result of an effort to find something constructive to do with the left-over yeasts from the brewing industry. Don't remember any claims being made that it is actually made from them now, though. And I'm not sure which side of the brewing process I prefer!

#15881 01/19/01 03:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, and how could I forget Russel Crowe?

Easily, as it happens. He thinks of himself as an Australian, so there's no hope for him! No, seriously, he does. So therefore, ipso facto, he is!

And, thinking about it, weren't two of the three members of Crowded House Australian? Could have that one wrong, just thought I'd read it somewhere. Given that Neil Finn isn't, it shouldn't be hard to guess which ones are ...

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Marmite in Quebec doesn’t refer to a food but a big ole stew pot. One of those heavy, cast iron or stainless steel ones with a heavy lid.

>The same thing (eg Le Creuset) is sold here as a Marmitout.

#15883 01/19/01 08:20 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Regarding fizzy drinks, there is, in NY and northwards, the egg cream, which contains neither egg nor cream, but is basically selzer or carbonated water and chocolate syrup.

I'm surprised about the chocolate.

I would have expected it to be like a Snowball - the Dutch drink Advocat (yellow semi solid stuff) and lemonade. You can add vodka but that would make it more sophisticated and my ancient aunts who used to drink it at Christmas were purists.

#15884 01/19/01 08:30 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>until I realized that "soft ice cream" meant soft serve

There used to be two ice cream vans which came down our road at weekends and during the holidays. One was solid, very white ice-cream made by a local company with Italian origins. It was lovely and in my teenage years was made all the better by the young Italian who served the ice cream with a wide smile.

The other company sold the nasty manufactured soft stuff which came out of a machine. We said it tasted like Brylcreme and was served by an "old git". I wonder how many areas they could drive through these days whilst sticking to the original name - Mr Whippy!

#15885 01/19/01 01:21 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A
When I was 16 (and dinosaurs still roamed the earth), I worked as a "soda jerk" at a drugstore in Miami. Homesick New Yorkers used to come in, all desolate and forlorn, and sigh that a chocolate egg cream would restore them to life, but of course that I (being an ignorant Southerner & NOT from "The City"), wouldn't know how. Being 16 and a smart-alec, I would say snidely, "Bet I can," then I'd throw together chocolate syrup, soda water & milk & they would be pathetically grateful. All that rude "I'm from The City" nonsense would go away and they'd turn into ordinary people. Isn't it funny what a little home cooking will do for you in a strange place?

#15886 01/19/01 03:18 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

hoagie

I certainly don't know where the word came from, but it's one of several words used for the same thing, and they are geographically specific. Sub, short for submarine, is used south of the Mason-Dixon Line; hoagie is used in most of Pennsylvania, Delaware, NJ -- the area centered around Philadelphia, where it seems to have started; in New York, it's generally hero; and in New England, grinder. Go figure. I don't have personal knowledge, but I believe that sub is used west of Pennsylvania.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In one of my incarnations I was a very busy reporter, covering Board of Selectmen, planing and zoning boards, three scool district, the copshop, the fire department and fires, unions, the DPW, budget committee, precinct, town, state and national (NH Primary) elections, town meetings, public hearings, whatever scandals cropped up, doing features and keeping up with the goings on at the Nuclear power plant -- whew! -- time was often of the essence ... SOOOoooo here's a local dish that was home-made-take-along. Scramble hamburg, cover with cheddar cheese until it melts, then mix it all up and put it in a half of Pita bread. (aka Syrian bread)
For any busy person that was a real tasty protein boost and it could be thrown together in 10 minutes! Quicker than a run through McDonalds.
Anyone else with home-made-fast-food hints?
wow

#15888 01/19/01 03:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think so. The closest US'ns'd get to food with a spider is fry it in one. It's a frying pan, maybe with little legs for use over an open fire, but I'm not sure about that. YCLIU.

old hand
old hand
All you need is a tortilla, a can of chili, and some cheese. Put a bit of chili (turkey chili is my favorite) in the middle of the tortilla, sprinkle some shredded cheddar on top, broil it for a couple of minutes, and you've got some truly tasty single-person food. A little spoonful of salsa if you're feeling really saucy ~ homemade fast food indeed!

C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Once knew a lady from Iowa who introduced me to boiled ground beef. She said it was the feature at a local diner there. You simply chop up the already ground beef and dump it into a pan of boiling water until cooked, then spread on a sandwich with whatever topping you like.
My mother used to take ground beef with minced onion, spread it on a piece of white bread. She would then place it under the broiler until it sizzled.
Have never heard of anyone else making the above two dishes anywhere, ever.
And about subs...here in northern PA they are called subs. They never heard the word "hoagie" up here at all. And if I said "grinder" they'd probably think I was referring to Minnie Pearl's Grinder's Switch!

#15891 01/20/01 01:27 AM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Re: hoagie. It's a Philadelphia-ism. Seems the Italians who worked on Hog Island were called hoggies. Their favored lunch? A loaf of italian bread, sliced meats, lettuce, tomato... the sandwich got to be known as a hoggie, or hoagie.

#15892 01/20/01 02:55 AM
L
L
My husband (from Hawaii) eats rice topped with a hamburger pattie (perferably with all the grease) and then eggs, for breakfast. It's called loco moco. I think I'd prefer apple pie.

#15893 01/20/01 05:49 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
RE Ladymoon's hamburger pattie and then eggs, for breakfast. It's called loco moco
My Swedish boss introduced me to a similar Swedish dish : Hamburg pattie topped with fried egg then heavy cream poured into pan to make a sort of gravy-sauce which is poured on the hamburg-egg combo. Heart attack on a plate.
BTTT (BACK TO THE THREAD) -- I do not recall that saying -- Heart attack on a plate -- before we became cholesterol conscious! Does anyone?
And how did a breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, in Ireland, get to be called a "fry up?"
wow

#15894 01/20/01 07:40 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>And how did a breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, in Ireland, get to be called a "fry up?"

Because it's fried?????

#15895 01/21/01 02:33 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And how did a breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, in Ireland, get to be called a "fry up?"

Because it's fried?????

Oh, sure, go for the easy answer.
wow

#15896 01/21/01 05:40 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
>My husband (from Hawaii) eats rice topped with a hamburger >pattie (perferably with all the grease) and then eggs, for >breakfast. It's called loco moco. I think I'd prefer apple >pie.

The loco moco actually sounds better than the PA Dutch breakfast item known as "scrapple." Name gives a clue as to what this is: scraps from the butchering process combined to form a highly seasoned meat loaf-ish food. Slices are fried and served with syrup. One taste was definitely enough. Put me in the apple pie group.

#15897 01/21/01 08:10 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey! I happen to like scrapple... but then, I was raised on it. I can see how it would turn off someone who isn't used to it.
Did you ever have AP cake, or souse, or chow-chow? Some more PA Dutch staples.

#15898 01/22/01 12:31 AM
old hand
old hand
Let's not forget Dragon, Mental as Anything, Olivia Newton-John, John Farnham (I think), Jimmy Barnes, Marcia Hines (at least daughter Demi was born here!), Jelena Dokic, Andrew Ilie, Mel Gibson....give me another minute or two and I'll think of more nae doot.

Guess there's always Hoges, Rolf Harris, um, the Waugh twins, Warnie, Gillie (etc), um....um...

stales

B
veteran
veteran
B
boiled hamburger
My mother in law made a dish, which my wife copied, consisting of hamburger browned very thoroughly with onion, then water added to the skillet to make a gravy, flavored with salt & pepper only, served over mashed potatoes. My kids loved it; so much so that one of them would choose it for his birthday dinner. My mother in law didn't have any special name for it; I have the honor to have christened it "slumgullion", by which name it is still known in our family. That's not a made-up word; it already existed, I was the one who applied it to this cheap & fast supper for kids.

#15900 01/22/01 04:30 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Scrapple
Being Pennsylvania Dutch, I know more about scrapple than I would like to. My father, explaining scrapple once to a stranger, noted that it's composed mainly of "eyes, ears, elbows, a***holes, and whatever else is left over after butchering". This is maybe a bit exaggerated, but not much. All the leftover scraps of a hog are mixed with cornmeal mush and boiled together, then molded into large bricks. You slice it and fry it. I myself do not eat scrapple because I can't stand the smell of it.

#15901 01/22/01 05:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is no defense of scrapple! But if you want something worse, consider head cheese. UGH!

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

My mother in law made a dish, which my wife copied, consisting of hamburger browned very thoroughly with onion, then water added to the skillet to make a gravy, flavored with salt & pepper only, served over mashed potatoes.

This is a classic Irish dish--and just called boiled beef-- One cousin made it all the time for kids, when hubby was working late-- he hated the name of it-- but when he finally got arround to tasting-- he was surprized-- Not bad
He was italian, cousin, like me irish. He didn't think any irish food was good-- and the name "boiled beef" didn't help.

#15903 01/22/01 07:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To keep everything in some kind of perspective here:

I had some haggis Saturday night. Wasn't half bad (or half good, if you're English, well maybe it was half good if you're English or maybe if you're English you couldn't have even handled it at all. Maybe it's genetic.)

#15904 01/22/01 08:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the US Southeast, we refer to the ground beef/onion mix as "Sloppy Joe." Sometimes tomato sauce is added. You can have it as a sandwich (gotta keep a fork handy, though) or over mashed potatoes.

Fizzies: the generic term is "soft drink," although here in Atlanta it's Coke, of course. I actually overheard a waiter ask a diner what kind of Coke she wanted (I assumed diet or regular). She said: a Pepsi.

Faldage, was it a Burns Night dinner? Did they pipe in the haggis -- poor little uneven-legged creature? I go with your genetic theory, and hereby join the Apple Pie Gang.

#15905 01/22/01 09:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
AnnaS asks: Was it a Burns Night dinner?

Aye, lassie, that it was. The gentleman who recited the Ode to the Haggis sat next to me during the dinner and couldnae eat ony wi'oot a couple shots o' Finlaggan.

#15906 01/22/01 10:06 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Just saw haggis mentioned, yum, yum. I'll be away on the annual haggis hunt for the next few days. I have to slay one of the wee things for the Burns Night table. In case this is my last post (vicious, they are), have a wee dram (Bunnahabhain if possible) on me on the 25th!

PS My hunting trip is listed on this page, so I might take a while - http://www.grouse.com/lodge/library/stb/food_drink/places/whisky.html.

#15907 01/23/01 12:01 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oooo Jo, when I mentioned Grouse hunting in my bio I didn't know there was a Grouse Scotch Whisky...you know of course, that I WILL have to go there.

Scrapple...innards and stuff...isn’t that called Menudo in Mexico. I recall going to a small, basement restaurant with my cousin and her husband (a Mexican gentleman) who told me I would eat REAL Mexican food. I ordered a bowl of Menudo. Only after I ate it, did they tell me what it was. I am not fickle by nature and love to taste different things, so I wouldn’t have minded knowing before.

Boby, my mom made the same type of mixture when we were young only she always added tomato juice. She would scoop this hamburger/onion/tomato juice mixture over boiled potatoes and we would mash it all up. My mouth still waters at the thought.

Isn’t the food your mom made just the best in the world? I remember my mom making hamburger steak (a hamburger patty with hot chicken sauce ladled over it) the nights I had cheerleading practice. She always had homemade french-fries and green peas floating in the sauce. I’d get home and it was all ready for me when I walked in the door. Everybody else had already eaten; most times something completely different. It made me feel really special that my mom went through all the trouble. It is still my favorite comfort food.

Does anybody else have a comfort food?

#15908 01/23/01 06:59 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The rambutan season is now upon us. A rambutan (the name comes from the Indonesian for "head hair" ( rambut -- body hair is bulu)) is a reddish fruit about the size and shape of a kiwi fruit (aka Chinese gooseberry) covered in bristles that look like short thick hair with too much gel. The pulp inside is white and semi-translucent. I have seen some very sorry-looking specimens in the UK, but otherwise I've only seen them here in SE Asia. The first time I came across them was in Singapore. When I opened the first one, a friend who was also new to these parts and had previously worked as a men's surgical nurse, said "That's just what men's balls look like inside as well."

They taste delicious when fully ripe. Unfortunately they tend to be harvested too early in my opinion.

Bingley

Bingley
#15909 01/23/01 07:14 AM
They taste delicious when fully ripe. Unfortunately they tend to be harvested too early in my opinion.

What, the balls or the rambutan?

lusy

#15910 01/23/01 07:29 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The rambutan. The balls are best enjoyed in situ.

Bingley

Bingley
#15911 01/23/01 07:59 AM
The balls are best enjoyed in situ.

Now look here, Bingley old chap, you caused my beloved iMac to crash out with that reference to the enjoyment of balls in situ Please don't do it again. But thanks for the memory anyway ... it's been a long time, mate.

lusy (gradually sobering up)

#15912 01/23/01 08:05 AM
BTW, I see on my return after my mini-crash that we are still only 1992 members. I am thinking of registering under eight different aliases so as to become Member MM and receive my prize of ... well, it should be something worthwhile, eh Anu? Come on, give it a whirl!

lusy

#15913 01/23/01 10:27 AM
P
addict
addict
P
bel, ami, they've been adding stuff to beer for quite some time. I just came across this in Susan Sontag's "In America" set (initially) in 19th century Poland:

"it was hot beer with cream and morsels of finely chopped white cheese floating in it"

Cheers!

#15914 01/23/01 12:35 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
there is no defense of scrapple.

Shame on you, picking on poor defenseless scrapple!

#15915 01/23/01 12:45 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
In the farm country of western Kansas you would often hear an old farmer ask for a "soo-dee pop".

#15916 01/23/01 03:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yum! Cow stomach, posole (hominy), chopped onions, garlic, chilies, a mix of spices and herbs all in a broth cooked for several hours. Good hangover cure.

#15917 01/23/01 08:41 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

Fizzies

In my youth, there was a drink product, which my younger brothers and sisters loved, called "Fizzies'. It was a flavored Alka-Seltzer! Haven't seen them for years, and am not surprised.

#15918 01/23/01 11:51 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Damn! This is the most enjoyment I've gotten from scrapple... ever.

But, what are AP cakes? (I wasn't raised in Dutch-land...) Do like souse though. Guess I'm a rara avis for that quirk.

#15919 01/24/01 03:49 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

I'm a rara avis

You're name wouldn't be Mavis, would it? http://www.fluxus.freeserve.co.uk/Clovis/SeptimusBrope.html

Bingley

Bingley
#15920 01/24/01 02:18 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Me Mavis? No, not even a maven. :-)

#15921 01/24/01 02:40 PM
S
S
Whew!
I came in late and dutifully read this whooole thread before posting...

An anectdote about beer additives:
Last time I visited London, a local suggested I try a lager n' lime to beat the oppressive Summer heat. After my second delicious pint I went up to the bar to order my third. Slightly inebriated, I forgot the "n' lime" part of the order. To avoid bothering the busy barkeep, I helped myself to the squeeze bottle of lime juice on the counter. After the first sip I realized my mistake. I had liberally dosed the lager with "washing-up liquid". Ewww!

Sodapop:
My North Carolinian Father-in-Law recalls ordering a "dope" for thirst when he was a boy. I've heard elsewhere that the term harkens back to the day that sodas were actually medicinal tonics. Pepsi Cola, as I'm sure many of you know, contained the digestive aid pepsin. Coca Cola had a bit of Cocaine.

Sandwich query:
Any relation between Hero Sandwiches and Gyros? Gyros are slow-roasted thinly sliced lamb served inside rolled pita bread. Always assumed so...

Bad joke:
Q: How does one survive in the desert with no food?
A: Why, you eat the sand which is (sandwiches) there!
Sorry...

#15922 01/24/01 03:56 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Just tried my first rambutan yesterday. A colleague brought a bowl of them to a meeting (had acquired them at some Asian-type grocery). I live in California, so a lot of people here have travelled to various parts of Asia and had them before, so had some familiarity with them, and each had a different style of eating them. One cut it neatly in half, cut the seed out, ate the meat; I took a guess and peeled it like a lichee (similar, but smaller and less agressive-looking); another person appeared to just squeeze it and the top half of the peel popped off, and he ate it like an egg out of an egg-cup.

In all cases, yummy.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
apologize for telling a bad joke on this board.

#15924 01/24/01 04:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another thread about soda/pop what ever started a while back in response to Moxie-- a word of day a while back.

as an FYI, Signals-- a mail order catalog is selling a case(24 12oz. cans) of Moxie for $22.50. It not in their catalog on line-- but it is in their hard copy catalog.

It is not for sale in New England states (from catalog), where it is still sold--(i have even bought it and tried it.) Wow-- do they still have Moxie in Maine? I found it in Northern NH-- about 1 hour north of Mt Washington-- it is the real boondocks to use today's word--where US route 16 ends! (there is a road sign--This is the end of Rt 16!) in the town of Dummer-- where ex'es family lives.

Dummer might not make your map-- (it is pronounced just as it is spelt!) it's near the town of Milan -(my lan) NH. North of the city of Berlin (bur lin) NH.

#15925 01/24/01 06:02 PM
old hand
old hand
No sooner do people start talking about rambutans than I expect durians should enter the conversation... Since this thread is already at 10 pages, and those are worth *SO* much conversation, I'm inclined to start a new thread...

#15926 01/24/01 06:31 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
What are AP cakes?

I was hoping you would ask. They're sort of like coffee cake, without the crumb topping. My mom, and most other people I know, bake them in round pans and top them with some granulated sugar. They are a little dry and crumbly, which ensures that most people eat them with milk or coffee.

By the way, I have no idea what the AP stands for...even my ultra-Dutchy relations can't enlighten me on that one.

#15927 01/25/01 01:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Durians are usually served in a small bottle: durians vial.

TEd
#15928 01/25/01 04:53 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The accepted way here of eating them is to hold them in a fist with the thumb turned inward and the nail pressing about half way up the fruit. The rind then cracks and a twist will pull it off. Pop the fleshy part in your mouth and then discreetly remove the stone. If the rambutan is properly ripe the flesh comes off the stone very easily. If it isn't it sticks to the stone and you lose half of it.

Bingley

Bingley
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I have had this many times growing up in Wisconsin, and it is my husband's favorite dish also. My husband made this when he had to cook as a child, and my sons also learned with this. He called it "Hamburger Glop", my father called it "Shit on a Shingle" served over toast not potatoes and then came "Hamburger Helper" in a box----WOW Same basic idea---and still on the market ---Someone became rich creating this instant form of a "quick skillet dinner"

enthusiast

enthusiast
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Hamburger Helper" in a box----WOW Same basic idea---and still on the market -

Dear bikermom, Yes, I tried that but it wasn't the same ... and the additives don't agree with my sensitive stomach!
wow

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
You are so right WOW. I think it is amazing how many stupid things can be created and people are making money of these. And WOW if I ever did use this "HH", I would need 5 boxes for a meal---one box for each growing boy/man. Actually I create my own and my family calls it "Clean out the Fridge Stuff" Using whatever is not green, unless it should be green.

enthusiast

enthusiast
#15932 01/25/01 05:35 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Growing up in Wisconsin, we always drank "soda". Whether, it was Coke, Pepsi, etc or a generic brand. Always soda and Pop was what my Aunt called her father and some of my friends called their Grandfather. Now I live in Southern Ohio for the past 20 years and it is always pop. I say it too now, but 20 years ago on a hot day, I walked into the local small town drug store and ordered a soda. The clerk asked" what flavor---Strawberry, vanilla or chocolate??" WOW was I confused, but I think so was she---in the end---the Universal word Coke was understood!!! And when I hear the word "soda", my heart skips a beat---I look around for a Northerner or a Wisconsinite visiting Ohio.

enthusiast

enthusiast
#15933 01/26/01 02:32 AM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Supposedly, and I do have this from an excellent source (my Auzzie Uncle..), there was a competitor to Marmite called Pawont.

#15934 01/26/01 05:09 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

Supposedly, and I do have this from an excellent source (my Auzzie Uncle..

This probably belongs in the regional pronunciation thread, but Aussie seems very hard for non-anzacs to get right. If spelled properly, Aussie, the assumption seems to be to pronounce it as a double "s" as in toss. If pronounced properly, it seems that it will be spelled incorrectly, with a double "z."

#15935 01/26/01 01:41 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Oh dear, guess my Yank tendencies to spell any old way defeated me again! :-)

#15936 01/26/01 01:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

non-anzacs

I thought ANZACS were a millitary force (Austrailian New Zealand Auxilary Corpe)
In which case, wouldn't most of the population of both Austrailia and New Zealand be non-anzacs?

My impression about ANZAC's is that the British Milliary general considered them "disposable" and fairly consistantly placed them in impossible situations-- and the anzac's died by thousands--and astounded British gererals by hold potions, or winning battles that were thought to be "unholdable" or "unwinable". (i might be influenced here by Austrailian films..)

#15937 01/26/01 09:06 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
troy enquired I thought ANZACS were a millitary force (Austrailian New Zealand Auxilary Corpe)
In which case, wouldn't most of the population of both Austrailia and New Zealand be non-anzacs

Very close - it was "Army Corps" not Auxiliary Corps. NZ has the dubious distinction of having suffered the highest per capita combatant fatality rate during WWI. The British military general who decided that the ANZACs were suitable as disposable cannon fodder, was the Lord of the Admiralty, the same ruthless B'stard who let the Lusitania be torpedoed, and let Coventry be razed, one Winston Churchill.
The term ANZAC is now used in a more general sense for anything involving both sides of the Tasman. We have ANZAC sporting Test matches, and of course, the delicious ANZAC biscuits. There has also been some, mostly theoretical, discussion about an ANZAC dollar. This shows how the acronym has moved beyond its original definition, to be a word in its own right.

#15938 07/06/01 06:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm resurrecting the infamous Sandwiches thread because I could not let the collection of soft drink terms go unembellished by the term I learned yesterday while chatting with a man from New Orleans. I referred to soda/pop/tonic in an effort to cover all bases, only to still be met with confusion. Ultimately, I learned that if you want a carbonated flavored and sweetened drink in New Orleans, you'd best ask for a cold drink.

#15939 07/06/01 06:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Earlier in this thread-- Moxie came up (as a WOTD) and i mentioned Moxie is still for sale. I've had company for the 4th (of july) and one of the specialty foods i picked up for the occations was Dr. Brown's Cel-ray soda. any one else know the stuff? it is sweetened, carbonated celrey juice-- it has a pale golden color-- with just a small hint of green.. Its an old NY specialty soda.

Any other specialty soda's out there?

#15940 07/06/01 08:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is a pop called "Green River" that is made locally and only in limited quantities, and not bottled but only for a fountain dispenser. It truly is green like a lime (a little more stark in contrast) and tastes lemon-limey.

I believe the name comes from the Chi-town tradition of dyeing the Chicago river green on St.Patrick's day... not like it isn't green enough...

#15941 07/07/01 04:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I found an old soda bottle on the beach after a storm with the name Bireley's on it...anybody ever heard of this one? And, if so, can you date it? I 've searched antique bottle sites to no avail. It looks to be early 20th Century.

I also remember an orange soda called Nehi as one of the strangest soft drink appellations.

#15942 07/07/01 02:55 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hi Ho
Nehi is quite well known from the TV show M*A*S*H because Radar O'Rielly always drank grape Nehi. The word often turns up in crossword puzzles too.
The Birely rings a distant bell ---British perhaps?
Perhaps we should have a new thread --- this is really long. How about it Sparteye,(It's your "resurrection" after all!) musik, helen of troy and Whit?

#15943 07/07/01 03:02 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A quick check on Internet found that "Bireley's" is a brand name now of Asahi, evidently Japanese.

#15944 07/07/01 03:13 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#15945 07/07/01 03:13 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Pictures and a short blurb including current prices paid by collectors:
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/traderz/bireleys.html

#15946 07/07/01 04:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can we start a new thread? hi wow

#15947 07/07/01 04:59 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I would welcome a new thread. Please start one.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 939 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith