Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
#15835 01/18/01 10:03 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Hotdish" reminds me that pasties (flat a) are regional. A pastie is a single-serving sized pastry crust, roughly rectangular, stuffed with meat, gravy and a veggie or two, the veggie usually being a root veg, especially turnip

Our pasties (preferably from Corwall) are definitely semi-circular, never rectangular. The ones sold outside Cornwall are nowhere near as good.

The Cornish Pastie was invented by Cornish housewives who wished to ensure that the husbands who worked down tin mines had proper food during the day. The thick, half round crust was baked so that the worker could hold his pastie without having to wash his hands, thereby losing valuable work time - when the pastie was eaten, the crust was thrown away.
For a picture see:-
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/alan.richards/cornish2.htm

Next question: What is "a malted"?

#15836 01/18/01 10:51 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Hotdish" reminds me that pasties (flat a) are regional

Following my last post, I decided to find some more information about pasties. It seems that the term is more regional than I had thought - see this website of words which could cause embarrassment:
http://wtfaculty.wtamu.edu/~jrothfork/US-UK-English.htm

#15837 01/18/01 12:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jo asks: What is "a malted"?

It is a milk shake (the standard US term, milk and ice cream whirred together with some flavoring) with the addition of a malt powder, the exact nature of which I do not know, but I doubt I would ever use it to make beer.

I also suddenly remembered the phosphate, a soda fountain drink available in, at least, Iowa during the 50s. Presumably it used phosphorus instead of sodium.

And, jo, thanks for the dangerous slang warning site.

#15838 01/18/01 01:00 PM
C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Lemon fizzy as added to lager in the UK is called a "Shandie" or "Shandy"? The lemon fizz used when we had them "over there" was from a tap. When we make them at home, we use Sprite (a lemony, sweet soda with carbonation).

Americans tend to look at us aghast when we order these in a restaurant, as they've NEVER heard of anyone adding something to beer or lager. We enjoy "educating" the bartenders/waiters/waitresses and love to see the expressions on their faces when we tell them the ingredients! Horror mostly!

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"

#15839 01/18/01 01:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Chickie contributes: Lemon fizzy as added to lager in the UK is called a "Shandie" or "Shandy"?

We drank these at a bar (the Student Prince?) in Virginia Beach during my sailor days. The standard was Guinness and Schweppes Bitter Lemon. We also did a Black and Tan Shandy which was Guinness, Bass Ale and Bitter Lemon. The bar standard was half and half Guinness and Bitter Lemon. We bought the ingredients separately and mixed our own, significantly lighter on the Bitter Lemon. The Black and Tans we mixed were also somewhat lighter on the Bass than on the Guinness.

Incidentally, the norm these days for half and half in American bars is to pour the Guinness carefully over the Bass so as not to mix the two ingredients. This gives you a drink with a golden bronze lower layer with a black black upper layer. Is this the standard for half and half in Britain?

#15840 01/18/01 02:39 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

pie for breakfast

and in Pennsylvania Dutch country, they eat shoofly pie for breakfast (or whatever other kind of pie, chiefly fruit pie, there happens to be). In this, and other rural cultures where heavy meals are needed by people who labor hard, pie is a staple; it's eaten at almost every meal. Cake, on the other hand, is for special occasions.

Regarding fizzy drinks, there is, in NY and northwards, the egg cream, which contains neither egg nor cream, but is basically selzer or carbonated water and chocolate syrup.

#15841 01/18/01 03:00 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
All of which reminds me of being struck dumb with incomprehension while purchasing an ice cream cone.

A little background: the Great Lakes area of the US contains serious dairy country, and Michiganians bear the dubious distinction of eating more ice cream per capita than the inhabitants of any other state. We take our dairy as important business, and there are relatively strict laws on the content and labeling of dairy products (even more so in Wisconsin, the dairy state). In Michigan, "ice cream" must contain at least 10% milk fat and at least 20% total milk solids; frozen confections containing lesser amounts are called ice milk, or, in the case of the stuff dispensed by machine at cone stands, soft serve.

Anyway, I was in DC on business, and was wandering a mall one afternoon killing time, when I came upon an ice cream kiosk. I went up and ordered a scoop of ice cream in a cone, and the clerk asked me whether I wanted hard ice cream or soft ice cream. I stood there for a moment, dazed at the possibility that she was offering to give me a half-melted scoop of ice cream in a cone, until I realized that "soft ice cream" meant soft serve.

#15842 01/18/01 03:18 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
the norm these days for half and half in American bars is >to pour the Guinness carefully over the Bass so as not to mix the two ingredients. This gives you a drink with a golden bronze lower layer with a black black upper layer. Is this the standard for half and half in Britain?

It wasn't when I was younger and I haven't drunk that kind of thing for a long time, so I'll rely on trendier types (Shanks are you there) for local knowledge. Some people used to ask for a pint of "mixed" which was half bitter, half mild. I've heard of Black and Tans (Guiness and mild) but never seen them separated like in the following picture:
http://www.schremppstudio.com/beer.html

According to the Guiness website below.
Q: How do I pour a Black and Tan?
A: Steve Glover, who has tended bar in Ireland, says that the layered Black and Tan is an American affectation that they were happy to do for extra money :-). Otherwise, both beers (they used Smithwicks and Guinness) were simply poured in the same glass fully mixed.
Q: Is there any meaning to the Black & Tan name other than its obvious reference to the colours of the beers?
A: Yes. The first known reference to the expression Black & Tan was in reference to a breed of beagles used as hunting dogs in Ireland.
The term was also used to refer to a a regiment of British soldiers recruited to serve in Ireland after the First World War. They had a reputation for being quite brutal and have been accused of many attrocities against the Irish in the years 1919-21.
http://www.ivo.se/guinness/bnt.html

It sounds like, along with Irish Coffee (Buena Vista, San Francisco), the Black and Tan was invented in the USA.

Here's the song:
Come Out ye Black & Tans!
I was born on a Dublin street
Where the loyal drums did beat
And those bloody English feet
They walked all over us!
But every single night
When me Da would come home tight,
He'd invite the neighbours out
With this chorus:

Come out ye Black & Tans!
Come out and fight me like a man.
Show your wife how you won medals
Down in Flanders.
Tell her how the IRA
Made you run like hell away
From the green and lovely lanes
Of Killeshandra!

#15843 01/18/01 03:25 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I would think that a shandy in America would be quite different to here. Schweppes bitter lemon or Sprite would be much more lemony. Bar lemonade, on tap is mainly chemical, think sweetened soda water with the merest hint of lemon, so all it does is dilute and sweeten the drink. I've seen bitter shandy, lager shandy but never Black and Tan shandy - maybe I haven't lived!

They sell/used to sell shandy in cans for children/non-drinkers but it just tastes of sweet brown chemicals.

When I was growing up some people used to drink lager and blackcurrant. It was difficult to get as bartenders used to say that it made people think that the beer had gone off!

#15844 01/18/01 03:55 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
To someone who lives in New Hampshire, a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

Heard another version, dear jmh
"To someone who lives in New Hampshire Yankees are those who put butter on thier pie!"
she says as a New Hampshire Yankee.
Don't knock it until you try it. A slice of warm apple pie and a nice bit o' butter spread on it. Of course if it's for a snack then you eat it while standing and holding the pie in your hand .... a old-time-Yankee aberration known as "Hand pie."
wow

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith