Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15615 01/14/01 03:29 PM
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
The use of "but" question made me think of an odd speech pattern I frequently encounter in the Southern Tier of western New York. In answer to a statement such as "I like chocolate", the standard response is "So don't I", when they actually mean "So do I". It's very prevalent, and highly irritating. I'm finding it in cross-generational usage, and at varying levels of education and sophistication. I've lived in many other places, and have never encountered this structure before. Has anyone else experienced this?

#15616 01/14/01 04:13 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Re : "So don't I."

It's also been heard in Southern NH, Maine and parts of the Northern Kingdom. I heard it more often years ago, not so much now. Surprised, actually that it's still around.
wow

#15617 01/14/01 04:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wasn't some speech pattern like this picked up in "The History of English" on the islands off the Carolina coast? Not quite the same, but the usage of a negative to indicate a positive.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#15618 01/14/01 06:54 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I have always found the use of negatives common, if sometimes irritating, in the North of England. I can't remember the exact saying but for example, rather than ask "Did you like that?" I often heard "Didn't you like that?" said without the tone of voice which would imply anything negative.

This often leads to long, winded double negatives like "Were you not thinking of not going out today?" They tend to sound better spoken in the local accent, such as the North Yorkshire/Lancashire border, not far from Rhubarb Commando, where there is a lovely singalong accent. I used to enjoy sitting back and listening, rather than trying too hard to unravel what people were saying.

#15619 01/14/01 09:56 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I often heard "Didn't you like that?"

Somewhere, long ago, I read that using the negative developed from the original phrase "Did you not like that?"
Make sense? Does to me.
wow

C
C
Another expression common to the southern tier of NY is "We're going 'down' to Ithaca" even though by looking at the map, one is theoretically going "up" if one lives in Corning.

When I first moved to this area and wasn't familiar with the towns yet, where places actually were located confused me. So I wonder from where the terms "uptown" and "downtown" came. I've always thought both to be unspecific unless one was actually going down into a valley or going in a southerly direction, etc.

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
So I wonder from where the terms "uptown" and "downtown" came.

In my experience it's region-specific or even specific to the town you are in.
Perhaps a way the locals can tell if you're a newcomer?
wow

#15622 01/15/01 03:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you look at a topo map you'll notice that coming to Ithaca from any direction is "going down", as would be going to, say, Watkins Glen. The northern ends of the Finger Lakes don't seem to be so drastically cut into the surrounding territory as do the southern ends, so probably you wouldn't hear the phrase used for Geneva.

#15623 01/15/01 07:07 PM
C
C
No. I do hear it locally to describe going ANYwhere. They all say "down" for whatever town they are heading. Just a local idiom that confuses the newcomers for sure! We're in northern PA and yet, they say going "down" to Corning which is north of here in NY. It isn't a topographical direction to them at all.

And, a little bit of local interest: newcomers are generally called "flatlanders" and the locals (but not within earshot :-) of them) are called "ridge-runners".

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"

J
old hand
old hand
J
I think the use of "we're going down to 'Nome'" comes from the southern usage of "y'all come down ya hear?". I assume the people in American south were usually directing this at their cousins from the north. Perhaps the "down" part just because common usage and people don't really think about it when their saying that they're going somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith