Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
According to the phonaesthetic rules (see http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=6166&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1) cellardoor scores 6 out of 10.

Bingley

Bingley
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thanks for that reminder, Mr B - chimes very usefully with something I am working on, and I had completely forgotten that thread - suspect it may be of interest to some of the new voices too.

H
addict
addict
H
a primipara (there's glory for you!), who named one of her twin girls Siphyllis (accent on 2nd syllable) because she thought it sounded so beautiful. The other? Gonnoriya, of course.

A friend of mine knows a little girl who was named Chlamydia for its euphony, rather than its glorious associations. What is with all the lovely names for venereal diseases?

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
To resurrect this thread, I have to add "painterly" to the list. I first heard it when flipping through the PBS channels a couple years ago, and stopped on a teach-anyone-to-paint program. The painter (I hesitate to say artist) described making a "painterly" sky. Since then, I've been hearing it more often, usually as a synonym for "beautiful" or to describe a scene as being worthy of a painting. It doesn't sound right! If it is in the current dictionaries, I'll choke.

I could really rant, but I don't want to seem rabid... this is only my second post.

Ali

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hope you saved your airsickness bag from your last flight!
painterly is a fine old word, here's the whole OED screed:

a. Like, or pertaining to, a painter; characteristic of a painter, artistic; spec. of a style of painting, characterized by qualities of colour, stroke, and texture rather than of contour or line. Also transf. b. adv. In a way proper to a painter, artistically. rare.
a1586 Sidney Arcadia i. (1590) 55 It was a very white and red vertue, which you could pick out of a painterly glosse of a visage. 1822 T. G. Wainewright Ess. & Crit. (1880) 248 A painterly arranged exclamation of this kind. Ibid. 261 How well made up—how painterly! 1932 Times Lit. Suppl. 16 June 441/1 A linear style and a ‘painterly’ (a translation of the German word malerisch, which can also mean picturesque). 1942 Burlington Mag. Jan. 24/2 A technique which foreshadows the painterly methods of Watteau. 1950 Eng. Stud. XXXI. 166 One should not forget the exciting Kiplingesque rhythm+or the painterly qualities of the dramatic, colourful poem of Cummerbund, the monster of India. 1952 H. Read in P. & L. Murray tr. H. Wölfflin's Classic Art p. vi, One word, however, calls for comment—the word ‘painterly’, which has been invented to convey the meaning of the German word malerisch.+ It stands for that depreciation and gradual obliteration of line (outline and tangible surface) and for the merging of these in a ‘shifting semblance’ of things—it is an attempt to represent the vague and impalpable essence of things. 1958 Observer 23 Mar. 16/5 Short lyrics of precision and beauty, painterly poems, touchingly infused with the poet's passion for what is beautiful. 1958 Times 24 July 5/2 His recent attempts to exchange a linear for a more painterly manner. 1962 Punch 1 Aug. 177/3 Alberta Wheeler, ex-night club dancer and painterly genius. 1963 Guardian 11 Mar. 7/2 He is becoming more painterly, his colour more subtle, and his surface dense with matter. 1969 H. E. Bates Vanished World xi. 147 It was not only the painterly quality of Crane's prose that attracted me. 1969 R. Mayer Dict. Art Terms & Techniques 276/1 Painterly, having the quality of expertly brushed workmanship.+ A term applied to the dominance of tonal masses over line as a means of defining form in painting, sculpture, and architecture. 1973 F. Taubes Painter's Dict. 176 Botticelli is a linear painter, whilst Rembrandt's work would be considered painterly. 1973 Times Lit. Suppl. 3 Aug. 900/3 The painterly aspect of each drawing is never forgotten: apart from shading with chalk or wash, in order to enliven a line or contour, pastels are employed and often coloured paper used. 1974 A. Dillard Pilgrim at Tinker Creek xv. 268 A photograph of earth from space, the planet so startlingly painterly and hung. 1978 P. Porter Cost of Seriousness 2 Masts for Woodbridge Crowd three degrees of the horizon, edging A painterly Dutch sky.

Hence "painterliness, painterly quality.
1955 P. Heron Changing Forms of Art xiii. 202 Hilton's conscious intention has been to eliminate all charm, all painterliness, even that evidence of mastery of the material which is itself a seductive element in painting. 1958 S. Spender Engaged in Writing iii. 43 Marteau's very appearance transformed the atmosphere from the weighted inwardness of Bonvolio-directed programme music, to cracking outdoor painterliness. 1977 Times Lit. Suppl. 24 June 761/5 Manet's painterly procedures—as well as his acknowledged painterliness.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S

hope you saved your airsickness bag from your last flight! painterly is a fine old word, here's the whole OED screed:

You're a cruel person, you know that? Do you know how many times I had to read that terrible word to get through the reply? It's just not right!

If only I knew your most hated word...

Ali

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was at the opening of an art exhibition recently where the artist's painterly approach was being extolled by Grahame Sydney, probably NZ's best contemporary artist (although saying that is probably buying a fight, such things being supremely subjective - judge for yourselves at http://www.grahamesydney.com/home.htm

I quite like the word painterly, actually. It sums up the technical expertise of the artist's use of paint without necessarily commenting on the quality of the overall work. I have seen many pictures, as I'm sure many of us have, which I didn't particularly like but had to admire because of the way the paint was used to convey the image.

But then, likes and dislikes in the use of words is pretty subjective stuff, too!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#15585 02/25/01 01:15 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It seems possible that the trouble with "painterly" is that the first thing "painter" brings to mind is house painter.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
But then, likes and dislikes in the use of words is pretty subjective stuff, too!

That it is.

By the way, I took a peek at the linked sight. Some very nice work there. Good sense of space, and the touch of mystery that makes a landscape piece more than an illustration.

Ali

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Internetivity. Ugh!

I was at a presentation on Friday and the person speaking said that their company was increasing the company's level of internetivity by opening up a web page. A word that caused immidiate disdain.

And yes, I know we have touched on this recently, but I just hate the word utilize. I know by previous threads that there can be situations where it can be used but dag nabbit, most people simply use utilize because use sounds common.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith