Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#154844 03/22/06 04:46 AM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Toss if you like, brother Faldage, but my observations here in Alabama are consistent. All observations made by me this winter found that flocking birds invariably fly towards the rising sun in the morning, and then fly towards the setting sun at night.

Moreover, in watching the actions of roving bands of blackbirds I have discovered a remarkable aspect of the collective behavior of these birds that is new to our understanding of the decision making process of all animals.

I will explain this remarkable discovery later.

#154845 03/22/06 11:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My observations here in New York are also consistent. I wonder if my sample is any more delocalized than is yours. Have you been traveling about in many areas of Alabama or have you noticed the behavior of a few birds in but one small area?

#154846 03/23/06 12:24 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
It is an interesting topic. As well as compass direction, are you able to compare the location of major food and water sources vs night roosting sites?

#154847 03/24/06 10:33 AM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Quote:

My observations here in New York are also consistent. I wonder if my sample is any more delocalized than is yours. Have you been traveling about in many areas of Alabama or have you noticed the behavior of a few birds in but one small area?

How dare you question my observational methodology? Did I not send you the Birmingham Black Barons baseball cap that I promised two years ago?
Of course, my sample is limited. Can I help it if my sample is centered on the early birds that pass over my route to work at dawn?

But non-the-less, if limited, my morning birds are consistent . Not once this season have they flown any direction but towards the rising sun.

(If you've lost the cap I'll send you another one.)

#154848 03/24/06 10:49 AM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Quote:

It is an interesting topic. As well as compass direction, are you able to compare the location of major food and water sources vs night roosting sites?

Not exactly Zed, I simply assumed that when flocks of blackbirds are flying in the morning that they are not out to steal hubcaps but to eat. But I do know that they can be seen feeding on the acorns of suburban lawns, and in the direction of their morning flights lie what in Alabama passes for suburbia.

I will report back to you the suspicions I have about their doings in these neighborhoods after I venture out into them this Saturday.

See you Sunday.

#154849 03/24/06 11:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

How dare you question my observational methodology? Did I not send you the Birmingham Black Barons baseball cap that I promised two years ago?
Of course, my sample is limited. Can I help it if my sample is centered on the early birds that pass over my route to work at dawn?

But non-the-less, if limited, my morning birds are consistent . Not once this season have they flown any direction but towards the rising sun.

(If you've lost the cap I'll send you another one.)

That's right. You did not send me a Birmingham Black Barons cap. And the one I did not lose I bought from the Cooperstown Ball Cap Co. so you don't have to not send me another one.

My birds are equally consistent.

#154850 03/24/06 12:17 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
How on Earth does a blackbird crack open an acorn?

#154851 03/24/06 02:18 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> I simply assumed that when flocks of blackbirds are flying in the morning that they are not out to steal hubcaps

ah, you're observing rural blackbirds!

> How on Earth does a blackbird crack open an acorn?

That's nothing, you should see it try to get Norton of its computer! ;]

Last edited by maverick; 03/24/06 02:34 PM.
#154852 03/24/06 06:04 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
What is "sledgehammer"?

T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Heck, like a kid with spinach and cake I couldn't wait untill Saturday and so I hurried through the Inglenook neighborhood this afternoon spying on the blackbirds in order to expose the modus operandi of their hitherto secret cult.

And here is the skinny...

Blackbirds vote with their stomachs.

Winter feeding flocks reach an optimum size by simple accretion. That is to say that the larger the feeding flock the more efficient the collective eating machine is in ravaging the countryside and protecting its members from predation.

This communist structure is self rejuvenating; the specialization of individual birds is temporal and does not require a "pecking order" in order to effect roles that require the individual to forgo feeding.

In a nutshell, the strong and well fed bird operates from a innate biological imperative to watch for danger while the others feed.
It follows that within the larger flocks there are more sentinels availabe who are willing to watch from the tops of tall trees and then to fly to other nearby feeding grounds after a suitable time has passed.

The direction of the movement of the flock is controlled by a visual "critical mass" mechanism that dictates that flock movemnt is always towards an accretionary population of the future.

And then the gang breaks up in the Spring and they become husbands.

Last edited by themilum; 03/25/06 01:59 AM.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith