Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#154494 01/27/06 04:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This is a really cool project (only for US and Canada). The next one is coming up mid-February.

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks.
I'll be able to do this on that weekend. It will be interesting to see the results, especially compared to last year. A neighbor started feeding birds this season for the first time, and apparently he's got the good stuff, as we see far fewer at our feeders this year. I'll be glad if it's no more than just a backyard decline in numbers.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Thanks Annastrophic, for the heads up.
I'll be counting in Aladamnbama, why don't we share our observations here on Awad? You know, like kinda give bird time to Animal Safari.

I note with pleasure that Fultondale, Alabama was #8 in the number of reporting sites last year. Fultondale is a small town of less than 3,000.
Maybe last year every swinging Dick, Tom, and Harry, in Fultondale spent President's Day counting birds.

Oh yeah, don't tell Maverick. This project is just for bona fide residents of the US and Canada, and Maverick might want to count too.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
We had our own count underway today, Milo! It's an annual event.

This morning my two nut-feeding dispensers had not only the normal flock of small birds (mostly types of tits) but also no fewer than three big Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

I went out with my camera and crept as close as I dared - they let me get the lens almost on 'em before they flew into the trees, laughing!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeah, but did you get any pictures?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
they let me get the lens almost on 'em before they flew into the trees, laughing!

It is clear that Great Spotted Woodpeckers know a great deal more about the mechanics of photography and its timing than is credited to them by most.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Hey Maverick, ever try to run over blackbirds as they feed on road kill? Don't bother, you can't.

Once, back when I was kind, I slowed my pick up to keep from mashing them. The slower I got the longer they stayed at the kill, until finally I came to a dead stop until they finished.

The lesson I learned is that birds live in an accelerated time world and obviously view we humans as lumbering creatures who move about through life like giant sloths.

Later I read that the neural/muscle response times of birds are twice quicker than those of you cumbersome humans. You dolts.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Quote:

It is clear that Great Spotted Woodpeckers know a great deal more about the mechanics of photography and its timing than is credited to them by most.

What I have noticed previously and again today is that they definitely react to eye contact - one flew up when I was standing outside in the sun just reading and took no notice of me... until I looked at him. I had not moved my head or body at all, but as soon as we made eye contact he flew. I concur with Milo about birds of all kinds - they react amazingly quickly, and also (I believe) based on very subtle cues.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wonder about mourning doves, sometimes. Then there was some guinea fowl we met once.

Gee, Fred. What's that big thing comin at us?

I dunno, George. Lemme check in the manual… Wait, here it is; it's a car.

Wull … Does it say what we oughta do?

Lemme see, George. Yeah, here it is on page 145. It says "Get out the way!"

Oh, gee, Fred. Ya spose we oughta get out the way?

Yeah, parboly we should.

E
addict
addict
E
Quote:

I wonder about mourning doves, sometimes. Then there was some guinea fowl we met once.

Gee, Fred. What's that big thing comin at us?
I dunno, George. Lemme check in the manual? Wait, here it is; it's a car.
Wull ? Does it say what we oughta do?
Lemme see, George. Yeah, here it is on page 145. It says "Get out the way!"
Oh, gee, Fred. Ya spose we oughta get out the way?
Yeah, parboly we should.

Sounds a lot like grouse. The story is that if you see grouse perched in a tree and start shooting them from the bottom ones up, you can get them all. If you start at the top, the ones below will be spooked by the falling birds.
A friend of mine went hunting for grouse. He had a good shot at one standing nearby, but the gun jammed or something, any whay, while he was clearing it, the grouse was watching him with a "what's he doing?" sort of air, then turned its back. Adam's thought "Good, I don't have to pick pellets out of the breast meat!" He got his gun fixed and shot it.
David and I were once throwing firewood in the bush and a grouse walked between us, apparently oblivious to flying logs. Unfortunately, my aim was not good enough to be sure of a hit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith