About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A warning that consumers shouldn't use a heat gun that produces temperatures of 1,000 degrees as a hairdryer has won an anti-lawsuit group's award for the wackiest label of the year.

The Wacky Warning Label Contest, in its ninth year, is conducted by Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch as part of an effort to show the effects of lawsuits on warning labels.

"When judges see it as their job to dismiss cases that are rooted in frivolous theories, we'll see fewer wacky labels and more fairness in the courts," said Robert B. Dorigo Jones, the group's president.

The $500 first prize went to Tom Brunelle of Holland, who spotted the heat gun warning.

The $250 second prize award went to Jam Sardar of Grand Rapids for a label on a kitchen knife that warns: "Never try to catch a falling knife."

Third prize of $100 went to Alice Morgan of La Junta, Colo. She found a cocktail napkin with a map of the waterways around Hilton Head Island, S.C., printed on it that cautioned: "Not to be used for navigation."

An honorable mention went to Kirk Dunham of Seabrook, Texas. He found this warning on a bottle of dried bobcat urine used to keep pests away from garden plants: "Not for human consumption."

--AP, Jan 6

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Mark Twain was right. Common sense isn't nearly so common as you'd think.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Common sense is the set of prejudices we develop before the age of twelve.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

Common sense is the set of prejudices we develop before the age of twelve.

Better put...

Common sense is the set of prejudices we do or do not develop before the age of twelve.

Like good manners, some of us live out our lives without the rudiments of elevated human Culture.

Not me though, I have both common sense and good manners.

#153251 01/07/06 03:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm gonna just sit here at the table and remain quiet.

Common sense is a 'sense' not a 'knowledge'.

...elevated human Culture.

I did a Google-reverse-dictionary search to attempt to find one word to describe this concept (other than the one I would usually use) and the #21 listing is Erich von Däniken (YCLhimU) and #24 is Elvis Presley.

Now I understand.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

Now I understand.

Oh no you don't, Musick, you don't understand the nature of the term "knowledge". If you did you would have responded with a counter observation.

Patiently I wait while you explain the strange concept that you "would usually use".

Meanwhile, tick, tick, tick, the bird of time has but a short way to flutter.
And lo; the bird is on the wing.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
My son's girlfriend has a wacky inflatable toy penguin. It carries the solemn warning that it "should NOT BE USED as a liferaft or emergency flotation device". Darn, I was going to paddle to Scandinavia - now I'll have to fly another mission!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

My son's girlfriend has a wacky inflatable toy penguin. It carries the solemn warning that it "should NOT BE USED as a liferaft or emergency flotation device". Darn, I was going to paddle to Scandinavia - now I'll have to fly another mission!

To ut this contest into some sort of perspective, a Zilder in his late teens or early 20s ended up either dead or very nearly so, after trying to use just such a toy as a flotation device in heavy seas. Darwin Award nominee, I'm thinking.

#153255 01/09/06 12:00 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
yeah - but would they read the instructions anyway?! Still, I guess their executor's lawyer would...

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
One of my favorites is from a long-stemmed lighter, the type to be used for starting fires in a fireplace. It states " Not to be used around open flames"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith