Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I just had a chance yesterday to spend some time with my best friend from high school (we've now know each other a little over half our lives). He lives in another state so we only get to see each other every couple of years, which obviously creates some distance.

Last night, I was trying to find the right word to describe our relationship. "Best friend" doesn't seem quite accurate at this point, and almost seems to have been over used to the point where it's lost its meaning. "Closest friend" doesn't work either, but a simple "friend", or even "good friend" or "close friend" doesn't convey the depth.

I finally settled on a concept: "as close as a brother." There are also a couple of females that I consider "as close as a sister." Using the term "brother" or "sister" is confusing when talking to people, as I then have to explain that they're not biological siblings. The same is true when I try "adopted brother" or "adopted sister".

So, is there a word (even in another language) that carries this "as close as a brother" or "as close as a sister" concept that I can use when talking to them or about them, as when saying "This is Andy. He's my _________,"? Granted, I'd still have to explain myself, but at least it wouldn't be awkward, and might even teach people a new word.

Thanks!
- Randy

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome! Wow, a word like that would be really handy, Randy. I have a friend I would describe the way you describe yours. Let's hope someone comes up with something good.

veteran
veteran

I have about 5 friends like this. It's so strange. Several of them I only talk to about once every 4 or 5 years. But when we do talk, it's like we never parted company.

I consider each of them my best of friends. I'm much closer to any of them than I am to any of the good friends I have today. And I always refer to them as "my best friend" in conversation. Sometimes someone will ask, "But you said this other person was your best friend."

"Well, yes. So I did."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bosom buddy:

a sworn friend; a best friend and companion.

It's probably a bit dated, but it's what came immediately to mind.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
compadre

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(one of my) oldest friend(s).

old hand
old hand
in many cases, "old friend" would probably fit the bill.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Life friend. You'd still have to make some explanations.

Compadre (for men) and Comadre (for women) is spot on.

The definition of compadre and comadre defines the special relationship between the parents and the godparents of a child. The reality of the word usage in the common sense is a friendship with a person that you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not.

Last edited by consuelo; 12/24/05 01:37 PM.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Quote:

Compadre (for men) and Comadre (for women) is spot on.

The definition of compadre and comadre defines the special relationship between the parents and the godparents of a child. The reality of the word usage in the common sense is a friendship with a person that you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not.

Well, it looks like these words are basically what I'm looking for. Thank you (to all who have offered suggestions). I resisted compadre at first because, while its definition is what I need, its connotation is so much more colloquial, even casual in its usage. Nevertheless, if that's the word, I'll have to use it, and then explain to people (including the ones I'm describing) what I mean when I do.

I'm still open to other ideas, too, though. Anything in an ancient language, a less-common language, or any other for that matter?

In the mean time, and possibly long-term as I get comfortable with it, I'll be using compadre and comadre.

T
veteran
veteran
T
"Home Boys"

Think about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith