Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
SIDNEY, AUSTRALIA – What commentators are describing as one of the quickest and crabbiest games of Hogwash to grace the screens of AWAD in recent months has drawn to a close.

Jackie, etaoin and Marianna were buried in TEd Remington’s (a) “Celtic burial mound, particularly one that is celestially oriented” earning TEd 3 points.

Musick, wofahulicodoc and Father Steve saluted Owlbow’s (d) “heraldic term from 15th century Netherlands” earning the Owl 3 points.

TEd Remington and sjmaxq bought the goods at wofahulicodoc’s (e) “An Afghani open-air market for rugs and tapestries” earning that author 2 points.

inselpeter fell into Marianna’s trench by voting for (f) “A sheaf, a bundle (of cereal, twigs or sticks),” earning Marianna 1 point.

Logwood danced to the musick of (i) "The newest member of a traditional bagpipe and drum band” earning musick 1 point.

Bingley was duped by Father Steve’s (j) “A submerged or partially submerged ridge of alluvial matter deposited in a river or along a shore” but met a particularly agreeable Miss Bennet there and was later married to her in a lovely ceremony presided over by our dear Rev., who earned one point.

inselpeter’s (k) “celtic lawyer” was retained by Whitman O'Neill earning inselpeter 1 point.

Additional points were earned by Owlbow, tsuwm, the mysterious eldritch and possibly maverick who either guessed or recognized the correct answer as (b) “A goblin in English folklore, often appearing in the shape of a large dog and believed to portend imminent death or misfortune.”

AnnaStrophic
abstained from voting, citing psychological trauma but is expected to make a full recovery. Faldage suffered a sprained uvula from prolonged harrumphing, and Alex the hogmaster was roasted over a fire with an apple in his mouth for severe infractions of Hogwash tradition and AWAD etiquette. He will be served with fava beans and a fine chianti.

Additional information on barghest:

“The image of the barghest is invoked, under the moniker of 'the Grim,' in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban . In this story, the character of Sirius Black -- nicknamed Padfoot -- has the ability to transform into a dog matching the description of the barghest. The main character's sighting of the dog is claimed to presage his imminent death.” (Wikipedia)

“a goblin in English folklore” (WWFTD)

“a legendary doglike goblin believed to portend death or misfortune” (Infoplease Dictionary)

Last edited by Alex Williams; 12/13/05 11:09 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> fell into Marianna’s trench

where do we sign up!

good game, Alex.

formerly known as etaoin...
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

where do we sign up!

good game, Alex.

This might be a good place to look. Glad you enjoyed the game. Upon my release from prison (pending clemency from the Governator, naturally) I do solemnly swear to either allow a full seven days for submissions, or least write a series of children's books extolling the virtues of doing so.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 12/13/05 02:37 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

where do we sign up!

good game, Alex.

yes, and the best part was the summing up!

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>This might be a good place to start<<

Dig the giant trilobite in the lower right hand corner!

Howled at your summation!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Owlie shud oughta get THREE points 'stead of two 'cause I voted for D as did Musick and Woofie.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I second that, Alex - *brilliant* summary!

(and no, mine wasn't intended as a vote as I knew the word from a ghost-memory, perhaps from previous converse with tswmone else on the board)

addict
addict
Quote:

>>This might be a good place to start<<

Dig the giant trilobite in the lower right hand corner!

Ooooof... for a moment there I was thinkin' y'all was tawkin' 'bout mah coat!

Yes, fun comment, Alex!

#152021 12/13/05 10:26 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Me, I was still crying in my parcha and couldn't see the keyboard to cast a vote.

#152022 12/13/05 10:43 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

Owlie shud oughta get THREE points 'stead of two 'cause I voted for D as did Musick and Woofie.

[NFL referee voice]On further review, Owlbowl did receive a third vote, which he did maintain possession of with both feet in-bounds. He is awarded another point. First down. [/NFL referee voice]

Quote:

Me, I was still crying in my parcha and couldn't see the keyboard to cast a vote.

Parcha
Round, lime size fruit has bright orange, highly perfumed, bracingly tart flesh. Also called granadilla, passion fruit and maracuya

no wonder it's also called passion fruit. ye gads.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 12/13/05 10:46 AM.
#152023 12/13/05 10:46 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
parcha

As a teen, I planted passion fruit in the backyard and was doubly disappointed when the seeds didn't germinate and to learn the name referred to the Passion of Christ.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Faldage suffered a sprained uvula from prolonged harrumphing[.]

I'm speechless.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hilarious wrap-up, Alex! I am ROTFLMAO and feel I will make a full recovery before the next round.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And insel deserved every point of it!

Wunnerful summary, Alex!

And if'n there had'a been more time for entries I coulda been a contenduh, I coulda been somebody!

#152027 12/13/05 02:36 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Here's another interesting footnote or two on barghest

In the world of the science fiction-fantasy game Mechwarrior there is a vaguely canine robot named the Barghest.

One of the many names attributed to the mythical beast is Black Shuck. Bob Trubshaw has an interesting essay on this motif of English folklore and its likely Scandanavian origins. An interesting excerpt:

One other snippet of speculation more strongly suggests Scandiavian associations. As I have noted, black dogs appear under a variety of regional names. One such is 'barguest', prevalent in parts of Yorkshire. Peter Jennings reports that Sir Walter Scott suggested that this appelation came from the German bargeist, 'spirit of the (funeral) bier'. Now that really does fit in exceptionally well with the 'guardian of the corpse ways' concept.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 12/13/05 03:36 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Musick, wofa and Rev. At ease!
Let’s eat! However, may I have just the fava and a big goblet of Chianti? -hold the pig.
Alex, does this mean that I have to read the Harry Potters and your pending series of morality tales for minors? Thanks for the good game and your lol-in-my-cubicle-that-further-enhanced-my-reputation-as-a-weirdo summation.
I am honored to be among this most adroit group (which ‘cuya included Connie) of fibbers.

PS Is rule A really necessary?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks for that, Alex!

Good one musick, fooled me you did!

How easy was it to pinpoint Father Steve's one?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Quote:

PS Is rule A really necessary?

If only to get riled up about. All in all, a very successful round!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Is rule A really necessary?

yes.

at the time scoring was suspended: guessing the real def'n earned a "player" 2 points and a "non-player" 1 point; having your def'n chosen earned you 1 point per; skunking the field (nobody chose the correct def'n) earned the hogmaster 3 points [rare]; scoring was further adjusted at the whim of the hogmaster. the running score became dominated by.. guess who? the running score was dropped, and other variations were tried for scoring the round. no one was happy. least of all the hogmaster.

then, at a brilliant stroke, Rule A was adopted by the rules committee. now the players and non-players had only the playing of the game to whinge about. things are much better.

Last edited by tsuwm; 12/13/05 07:09 PM.
#152032 12/13/05 07:35 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I forgot the after my : "Is rule A really necessary?"
I realize that "We don't need no stinkin' rools." means that we do.
Thanks again current HM. And to all the past & future HMs: y'all rule!
all you guys, Anu too, HMs or not, are among my short list of heros - for real.
OB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith