Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#150184 - 11/13/05 09:29 PM Your neologisms
Homo Loquens Offline
enthusiast

Criterion: Must have arisen from necessity.

hangry

adj

a feeling of irritability, impatience or frustration resulting from a lack of food.

[ORIGIN : from "hungry" + "angry"]

#150185 - 11/13/05 10:46 PM Re: Your neologisms
of troy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: rego park
Toy script
(from my then 4 year old when she was told her marking on paper were scribble scrabble--she replied, no they're not..they are toy script! (she still back talks, and she is still as witty!)

#150186 - 11/14/05 10:11 AM Re: Your neologisms
dalehileman Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Apple Valley, CA, USA
FACTOID (proposed definition)– 1) unverified, untrue, or invented fact. "Spurious report or supposition" - Norman Mailer; "...Bush has 'lost' more than a million jobs....This is a factoid of questionable validity" – Colorado Springs Gazette. 2) Brief or trivial fact or news item See POLYFACTOID below.

POLYFACTOID – (thanks to Wizard of Oz) Compound FACTOID; entire phrase, sentence, or definition simultaneoulsy contradictory, redundant, and simply false

The entire statement, “...Bush has ‘lost’ more than a million jobs....This is a factoid of questionable validity” (Colorado Springs Gazette) is itself a polyfactoid. It is contradictory because if the factoid is questionable the statement becomes redundant; but if the factoid is true, the statement is false See FACTOID--WordWizard

Submitted by dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)

#150187 - 11/14/05 12:14 PM Re: Your neologisms
themilum Offline
veteran

Loc: Aladamnbama the most watered s...
Smokerettes
A neologism termed by my four-year-old son Danny back when smoking was cool. Danny and my other kids don't smoke today and that is cool.

A word coined for dale hileman...

Pooh-bah-taboo
Once I innocently mentioned "Bush" on this forum and some of the pooh-bahs here directed me toward a political forum where I could vent my political smoke. I think that the people here want a smoke-free-zone if you get my drift.

Edited by themilum (11/14/05 01:01 PM)

#150188 - 11/14/05 01:07 PM Re: Your neologisms
Marianna Offline
addict

Loc: Spain
tripeat verb

To repeat something twice; to do the same thing three times.

This was coined by a student of mine who claimed that if I failed him after the previous professor had also failed him in that same subject, he'd be tripeating the subject the following year. For some reason, from his viewpoint, this was just not on...

NOTE: this verb seems to have endless semantic potential. I could have objected to the tripe my tripeating student had written in his final exam essay, for instance... Not to mention the endless unnutritious snacking that seems to accompany long-distance car journeys...

#150189 - 11/14/05 01:21 PM Your neighborhood neologism
Owlbow Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
There is a similar word that U.S. (elsewhere too?) sportscasters use. Threepeat. As in, "The N.E. Patriots failed in their bid to threepeat as world champs".
They probably eat too much junk food too.
I like tripeat three times better.

#150190 - 11/14/05 02:32 PM Re: Your neighborhood neologism
of troy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: rego park
actually milum, we tried to avoid all politics here..

the europeans (and there are number) tend to have a very different take on world events than we do ..

did you ever read the discussion on the war of 1812 (and who won it?) going on 200 year old policital events, and the topic was heated (who won? why everyone! the treat of ghent allowed everyone to walk away thinking they had won, so the south got to brag about Jackson (and the battle of NO's, (the northerns got to point out the battle was moot, and the canadians got brag about how they repelled (and defeated the NY's (and NEnglanders) and the english got bragging rights too.. and yet, we all managed to get our national pride up, and 're-fight' the war!

being a northern liberal i have (i suspect!) a very different take on Bush (and his presidency) than you do. but it doesn't matter. this is not really a politic BB, and while we have once or twice bashed Bush for the way he mangles english (something i think we both can agree on!) We tend to try (and like many other things, we often have failures) but still we try to avoid discussing policy or its outcomes.
Locally NY mayor (bloomberg) is taking credit for a dramatic drop in crime rate.. but the fact is crime is down, not just in NY, but many places, (some with good government, some with poor government). it seems what ever is driving the rate down has nothing to do with local politics.

bloomberg also boasted about creating jobs here in NYC (and in this he is right--why he spent $85 million on his campaign! i am sure that Ad men, and TV producers, and film editors, and camera men, and many other involved in creating the media blitz all were. a percent of the 85 million went to wages, i am sure(at least temporaliy!) all those people involved in making all the media messages were gainfully employed! (not to mention the Printers, and poster designers, and telephone call services people!

Well there i done it too, discussed politics.. well my post will be virtually ignored because of its political content.. (and we will go back to discussing words/language, and putting up with Ted's pun, etc...)

#150191 - 11/14/05 04:32 PM Re: Your neighborhood neologism
Alex Williams Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Spam Factory
Blogument a senseless, sometimes impassioned, often lengthy argument on a weblog or internet forum; may escalate into a flamewar.

#150192 - 11/14/05 06:18 PM Re: Your neologisms
dalehileman Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sorry, but you misunderstand my example. It was entirely nonpolitical. The polyfactoid is the second phrase and does not hinge upon the truth of the first

Edited by dalehileman (11/14/05 06:21 PM)

#150193 - 11/14/05 06:23 PM Re: Your neighborhood neologism
dalehileman Offline
Pooh-Bah

I believe "blogument" would be a blend word or portmanteau

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8769 Members
16 Forums
13814 Topics
216155 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
Rupak, DeathCake, malagachica, Jamie, pr3sedentedonut
8769 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
endymion6 106
LukeJavan8 106
wofahulicodoc 98
AlimaeHP 14
Tromboniator 11
BranShea 2
tsuwm 2
Storymom 1
sleeper54 1
wsieber 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11610
tsuwm 10525
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
LukeJavan8 6786
AnnaStrophic 6511
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5284

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith