Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#147567 09/08/05 03:58 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>Firefox<<

But for '0', works with splat for Safari, too.

#147568 09/08/05 07:13 PM
E
ECH714 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I AM A 70 YEAR OLD MAN WHO IS BEING TAUGHT HOW TO USE A COMPUTER BY HIS GRANDCHILD ALBEIT THE BASICS ONLY. I AM SORRY THAT I DON'T KNOW ALL THE NUNACES OF THE COMPUTER GAME AND DOUBT IF I SHALL EVER LEARN.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THOSE THAT EXTENDED A WELCOME TO ME AS A NEW ONE ON THE BOARD. THAT WAS EXTREMELY KIND AND I MUST SAY APPRECIATED.

HOWEVER, I THOUGHT I ASKED A SIMPLE QUESTION AND WAS SEEKING A SIMPLE REPLY.

INSTEAD, I WAS LITERALLY JUMPED FOR WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS. I WAS NOT AWARE THAT I WAS BEING OFFENSIVE AND EVEN IF I WAS...IF IT ENABLES ME TO SEE...THEN SO BE IT. WHY IS IT OFFENSIVE IF IT IMPROVES MY VISION, ALBEIT NOT GREATLY, TO THE POINT I CAN WRITE OR READ. AND SOME MENTIONED GOING TO FOXFIRE AND USING "O"....ETC. SORRY BUT I AM NOT THAT ADVANCED YET AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT FOXFIRE IS OR DOES. BUT I APPRECIATE THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS.
I DID NOT APPRECIATE THE LEFT HANDED APPROACH AT ABUSE BY UNNAMED PARTIES AND FOR THAT REASON, I AM OUTTA HERE...FIND SOME ONE ELSE TO ABUSE AND PICK ON. I DON'T NEED IT.
I SHALL SEARCH FOR INTERESTING READING ELSEWHERE...I SURE HAVE THE TIME.

#147569 09/08/05 09:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Well, boys and girls," he said, sitting down with them in the middle of the carpet, "what can we learn from THIS little experience?"

#147570 09/08/05 10:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from my experiences with tutoring seniors in computer use, this is an example of the "set in their ways" syndrome.

in this instance, there are some ways to get around this sort of problem (just ask Dr. Bill); but not if a person doesn't want to hear about them.

#147571 09/08/05 10:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill is an excellent counter to the boorishness displayed by ECH. Despite being significantly older than ECH claims to be, and being at least as visually impaired, he never resorted to posting in capitals.

#147572 09/08/05 10:24 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"Well, boys and girls," he said, sitting down with them in the middle of the carpet, "what can we learn from THIS little experience?"

"Not a whole hell of a lot," they answered in chorus.

or: "who wishes to take offense has never far to look"

#147573 09/08/05 10:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, Faldage comments were low key (he wasn't "all over")ech
and others comments provided directions, not just "don't do it".

netiquet, follows its own rules. and if you want to play on the net, you learn the rules. they are pretty simple. and if you want to play by your own rules, well, expect to get corrected.

no doubt, its been several years since anyone has attempted to correct any of ECH behaviors, and he has fallen out of the habit of accepting correction.

i pity his poor grand child who has the job of helping him.
but then, i clearly remember being slapped by an elderly uncle for misspelling a word (and it wasn't even misspelled, i just used the US not the UK spelling. and i was rude to him in response to the slap.. (as i recall, i tore up the letter i was writing for him-and 'wasted' his good paper. (he had temors and could no longer write, but could read fine.)
my mother ended by siding with him... (and he was wrong!) my face still stings as i remember the incident.

#147574 09/09/05 01:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It doesn't sound to me as though ECH felt that he was "resorting to" using all capitals--it seemed like he was just trying to see what he'd written. And if his grandchild hadn't taught him "netiquette", I don't see how it's his fault for not knowing. I personally don't find caps offensive, but then I am still pretty green re: being on the internet.
Having said that, I will say that it might have helped, had he offered some explanation at first...but then again, why would anyone if they had no idea that what they were doing might be offensive?

I think one thing that we might learn is that it can be a mistake for us to assume that every newcomer knows what they're doing. People venture on to the internet for the first time every day; and if they come on here...well, why not? And having said that, I am of the opinion that ECH could have been a bit more gracious. I don't think anyone "jumped on" him.

Let me paraphrase something I said at our church meeting last night, in response to complaints about our new and very young Youth Director: I think it would be a good thing if we concentrate more on helping someone succeed, before being so quick to pounce on them for failing.

#147575 09/09/05 01:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"It's Not Easy Bein' Green" (lyrics by Joe Rapposo)

It's not that easy bein' green;
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold-
or something much more colorful like that.

It's not easy bein' green.
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water- or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like an ocean, or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why?
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful!
And I think it's what I want to be.

formerly known as etaoin...
#147576 09/09/05 02:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Jackie ~

Rem acu tetigisti.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith