Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
#14780 03/08/01 05:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i have know idea why these posts inspired me to googlize "sushi"... but i'm glad i did, because i learned something interesting:

In Japan, they have a custom before eating sushi (or presumably any meal):

"They place their hands together in a "praying" position, with the chopsticks crosswise, under the thumbs, and say "Ita-daki-mas", just before tucking into the food. It's not very religious, and young people do it almost ironically with their friends in restaurants or on picnics: "Ita-daki-MAAAS". It just means 'I eat' or 'I partake'.

It seems very much akin to "Bon Appetit", and since i'm a *huge* sushi fan, i've made a mental note to ask about this next time i partake in that fantabulous fare.

I'm curious.. do any of you know of - or use - any other pre-meal expressions, aside from Grace?

and no, "Between the teeth and through the gums, look out stomach 'cuz here it comes" doesn't count.

~b96

#14781 03/08/01 05:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The local fish 'n chips I buy from occasionally is cute and has parchment printed to look like newspaper.

Ummmm...describe "cute", please. I'm having trouble visualising it!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Also, Hadrian tried to change the name of the city of Jerusalem... be quick now - anyone out there know what he called it?

Aelia Capitolina

Bingley

Bingley
Very good Bingley - but did you have to look it up?

And if not, here's another - we have a city in the northern part of the Jordan Valley (just south of the Sea of Galilee) called Beit She'an - fabulous excavations - any idea of the Greek/Roman name?

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#14784 03/08/01 10:27 AM
Bridget96>I'm curious.. do any of you know of - or use - any other pre-meal expressions, aside from Grace?

Well, yes.

Here (and in 'most' Jewish homes around the world - or in restaurants or just walking down the street with a felafel), we say the standard blessings, thus:
Baruch atta Adonai Eloheinu, Melech haolam (Blessed art Thou, O Lord, Our G-d, King of the Universe) ... and then the appropriate food, such as hamotzei lechem mein ha'aretz (who brings forth bread from the earth) - this is said over bread IF one is having bread with the meal - and it has to be said FIRST before partaking of any portion of the meal, but AFTER washing of hands (a ceremonial washing during which another prayer is said...).

We also have prayers to be said before partaking of the first fruit of the season and so on and so on...

We do say Grace, as well, but that is AFTER the meal, during which we thank G-d for giving us the food we just ate and for just being G-d who created all things, etc. etc. etc.....

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I knew it was something Capitolina, but I confess I had to pop over to Perseus for the Aelia.

Bingley

Bingley
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Don't know about Beit She'an, but is it the same place as my translation of the Bible calls Bethshan?

Bingley

Bingley
#14787 03/08/01 01:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about:
Good gravy
Good meat,
Good God!
Let's eat!

My mother hated that-- thought it border on sacrilegious... I nearly got the back of her hand when i suggest it wasn't quite true-- the meat was good, (daddy was a butcher!) but the gravy came from the cook... and my mother had a well deserved reputation for not being a good cook.

-- and Bridget-- an other custom is to never stick your chopsticks into a bowl of rice so they "stand up"-- It signifies death-- and yes Ita daki maas is said before every meal, including breakfast, and "lunch on go" from the noodle venders!

#14788 03/08/01 02:43 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My Grandfather, as head of the family, i.e. the oldest male, was asked to say something at a Thanksgiving dinner way back in the 1930s and it became an annual feature at every gathering of family and/or friends.
"Thanks be to God for our next meal. We're sure of this one."
wow

#14789 03/08/01 02:49 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
what kinds of fish are used in your area

We use halibut, cod, haddock. In NEW England they do fry 'em in hot fat and it's yummy.
Given descriptions of yukky in UK fish shops, I guess I was lucky because the portions I had were crisp and good!
wow

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith