Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
hollisr Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
I have been asked to research the origins of the word, “goodwill,” and to compare the concept of goodwill in several languages, including a European and an Asian language. Frankly, I am at a loss, and I wonder whether you all can help me.

I have found the definition and etymology in my Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, which takes the word “good” back to the Gothic sense of “fitting, suitable,” and then traces the development of “goodwill.” Is there any point in tracing the meaning of the earlier words listed in the dictionary (Old English, Dutch, etc.)?

And, can anyone help me with concept of goodwill as expressed in other languages? A friend who speaks Spanish told me, for example, that in Spain there are "goodwill" societies which are largely religious in nature and which seem to use the concept of goodwill to encourage people to extend to others the regard that God extends to us.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

Hollis

hollis
P
veteran
veteran
P
Welcome, hollisr.

Others who know more about word origins than I do will be along shortly, I'm sure.

In the meantime, the word for "goodwill" in Spanish is "voluntad" [or "buena voluntad"].

Here is a "Voluntad" based in Barcelona which does not appear to be affiliated with any religious organization and which performs good works on behalf of the disadvantaged in "the fourth world" ["cuarto mundo"].

Buena Voluntad En Accion*

http://snipurl.com/gmfn

* Although Alta Vista translates "goodwill" as "voluntad" in Spanish, this organization is called "Buena Voluntad" which presumably translates as "good volunteerism" rather than "good goodwill".

The Italian word for "goodwill" is "benevolenza" which is interesting because we can see the connection between "good" and "voluntary" again.

Of course, "benevolenza" is very close to our word "benevolent". In fact, Merriam-Webster defines "benevolent" [see defn. 2 below] as "marked by goodwill":

Main Entry: be·nev·o·lent
Pronunciation: -l&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin benevolent-, benevolens, from bene + volent-, volens, present participle of velle to wish -- more at WILL
1 a : marked by or disposed to doing good <a benevolent donor> b : organized for the purpose of doing good <a benevolent society>
2 : marked by or suggestive of goodwill <benevolent smiles>

http://snipurl.com/gmfv

#145732 07/31/05 03:41 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Wohlwollen is "goodwill" in German, hollisr.

This may take you down a different path:

Wohl- denotes the good or agreeable:
die Wohlfahrt - welfare
das Wohlsein - well-being
das Wohlwollen - goodwill

http://snipurl.com/gmg5

In Russian, the biblical benediction "'On earth peace, and goodwill to all men!" translates «Íà çåìëå ìèð, â ÷åëîâåöåõ áëàãîâîëåíèå!».

Source: ÑÂÅ×ÊÀ ["The Candle"}
http://snipurl.com/gmgf

Russian is greek to me, hollisr. Sorry. :)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For what it's worth, the Latin is bona voluntas. It is seen in the line from the Christmas reading, "Gloria in altissimis Deo, et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis." (Luke 2:14)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: Although Alta Vista translates "goodwill" as "voluntad" in Spanish, this organization is called "Buena Voluntad" which presumably translates as "good volunteerism" rather than "good goodwill".

is this a WAG(wild a$$ guess?) or do you KNOW for sure that voluntad (which i admit sounds similar to the english word volunteer) means volunteer?

the italian word benevolenzais close to the english benevolent--but the 'volent-->volens' part goes back to a root word for 'wish" and directs reader to the word will.

a volunteer is someone who 'wishes' to work (not someone who is forced into labor, or compelled by law, or even by basic need to work to earn their bread.) so there is a relationship between volunteer, and benevolent, and the spanish voluntad.

but i don't agree that buena voluntad (good wishes) is equal or even well translated as good volunteerism.they are related words but i don't think its safe to assume that buena voluntad means good volunteerism.. (based just on the info you posted.)

i don't know spanish, and i am very willing to listen to what anyone who knows spanish has to say.. but your post (well the part i quoted) sounds an awfull lot like folk etemology.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My Spanish-English dictionary translates voluntad as will and offers the phrase buena voluntad for goodwill. My diccionario usual offers a definition for voluntad that supports this and also offers a definition for buena voluntad that reaffirms this support.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and while 'good' and 'will' seem to be natural partners, i know will (and willful) as critizism.

i was a 'willful' child. that is, i had a mind of my own, and expected to be able to act on my 'wishes' and behave as i thought fit. (it was one of the sharpest critizism my mother hurled at me..)

my willfulness was expressed in how i wanted to dress, or to wear my hair, or how i wanted to knit, (i don't knit in a conventional european style) and in a hundred of other small ways. (you'd think to hear my mother complain about me, i was a convicted felon before i was 10, instead of well behaved catholic school girl (that i mostly was)

Now days, i would agree, i was (and remain) willful.

in catholisism, (and in christianity, too) its considered a good thing not to be willful.
you are expected to conform to 'god's will" (as it presented and interpted by the church..)

the lovely shaker hymn has the words: "when true simplisity is gained, to bow and to bend i will not be ashamed" and the bending here is bending one's will to conform--to act as it has been decided you should act.

nuns (and some priests) and most brothers in catholic orders take vows of obedience.. they promise to yeild, to not be willful, but to obey. (and what's more to do so cheerfully!)

and the comment "Do what you will, i wash my hands of you." (is that scripture?) is not one of 'well wishing' or reguard.

H
hollisr Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
So, another question: Can you offer a distinction between the definition or the connotations of "benevolence" (Latin derivation) and "goodwill" (Germanic derivation)? They aren't entirely interchangable, are they?

hollis

hollis
#145738 07/31/05 06:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Goodwill has a legal meaning, quite apart from those mentioned thus far in this thread. Goodwill is an intangible asset of a business enterprise, which explains why its value may be more than the sum of the value of its tangible assets. It has to do with prestige, a good name in the community, the reputation of the people running the company, its business history, and any other intangible factors which attract and retain customers.

PS: Seattlites are always welcome here. Didja see the SeaFair Torchlight Parade last night?

P
veteran
veteran
P
re "distinction between the definition -- of "benevolence" (Latin derivation) and "goodwill" (Germanic derivation)? They aren't entirely interchangable, are they?

I don't speak German, hollisr, but "wollen", German for "will", looks suspiciously like "volens", latin for "willing", to me.

So it's possible(?) they both come from the same root.

German-English translations for "wollen":

to will
to want to

http://snipurl.com/gml0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith