About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an aside to the question of how to serve beer:

many 'liquor' stores will have cases of beer stacked in the aisles at reduced prices from those applied to cases from the coolers. this time of year (winter), the quick fix for this in the Upper Midwest is to stick the case in a snowbank on the deck....

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It tastes pretty bad if we drink it at a reasonable temperature (Excessively cold and excessively hot beverages, and food in general, tend to deaden the taste receptors).

In a related story: The Dictionary of Misinformation, a small volume dedicated to the debunking of popularly held beliefs, although generally lacking in humor, has the following entry regarding the beer drinking habits of the English:

Many people believe that the English drink their beer warm. The English do not drink their beer warm. They drink it at room temperature, which no one who has spent any time in England is likely to confuse with warm.

#14508 01/11/01 03:23 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Poster: Jeffrey
Subject: Re: Shaved ice/shave ice

What was once shaved ice is now shave ice,

"Shave Ice" is particular to Hawaii. Sort of pidgen I think. Makes sense as it was a Hawaiian stand in Cal. Hawaiian shave ice is the fruit syrup and yummy.
wow

#14509 01/11/01 03:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Its interesting how state liquor regulations change marketing from state to state.

NY States Liquor laws are famously arcane.. Liquor stores in NY almost never sell beer-- beer is sold by beer and soda distributors, who can also sell only NYS wines. Wines from out of state must be sold in liquor stores.. Most vendors who are licenced to sell beer can also sell NYS wine– but not any out of state wines-- out of state produced wine can only be sold by liquor stores This actually causes problems since it make it technically illegal for me (or any one in NYS) to
1) purchase a case of California wine in CA, and carry it home with me on the plane (or in my car)
2) it also makes it illegal to purchase out of state wine over the internet-- unless the seller/distributor has a NYS liquor licence.

So if i want so Zild wine i have to go to the liquor store, but NYS wine is available in my grocery store!

Even the large discount liquor store associated with Costco don't have beer-- Costco carries it.

many of the beer/soda distributers don't have coolers-- in the summer they chill the whole warehouse/store to 40 f. (what that 3 or 4 or so C.?) or so, in the winter they open all the doors or in some other way vent in outside air-- its been close to 0 c all week, a bit colder at night. beer goes skankie really fast at NYC summer time temps. (33 to 37 c. not being uncommon.)

Curiously, for many years, (but alas, no longer) the largest wine producing county in NYS was Kings County-- known to most as Brooklyn. Manishevitz (unsure of spelling) had a large winery/factory for producing Kosher food in Brooklyn, and the produce more wine than any single one of the upstate finger lakes "wine country" counties!

#14510 01/11/01 03:46 PM
M
M
Since we cook food in a microwave, are we microwav-ing it?

No. The microwave is cooking it.
We walk. We drive. We sing. We can do lots of things. We cannot cook food, however, anymore than we can fly to Paris. I've heard that a very rare steak is done after being held in the armpit for two minutes, but I doubt this.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
English beer is drunk neither warm nor at room temperature. A good cellarer keeps it at some exact coolish temperature, I forget what, but about 13 C. Warmer or colder than that is distinctly less perfect.

This is never room temperature, even if it's that or colder outside, because if it is cold out, the pub will have a roaring fire (or at worst a nasty technological equivalent).

#14512 01/11/01 04:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No. The microwave is cooking it.

Okay, metameta, go right ahead and take all the fun out of things!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith