Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#143865 06/12/05 06:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The suffix -oid, when tacked onto the end of a word (which is where all good suffixes go), means a thing similar to, resembling, like, related to or possessing the characteristics of the thing modified by the suffix. It is Latin, derived from Greek, I think (which might limit the words to which it gets appended, but not likely, these days).

(Why do I feel like the plural of suffix should be suffices?)

SciFi fans knows that an android is a thing (such as a robot) which is like a man but not a man. SciFi fans also know that a creature which is humanoid looks somewhat human but is not human. An asteroid is like a star but is not a star. Anthropoids are creatures which are like (and are related to) humans but aren't humans. I guess an alkaloid is a substance which is similar to an alka but isn't an alka.

So what's up with factoid? Following the pattern described above, a factoid should be like a fact but not a fact and therefore untrue or only partially true or almost true. But factoid is used to mean a little, curious, trivial, interesting fact. How come?

#143866 06/12/05 07:11 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
As I noted in another thread :
Because the World's gone mad!
Mad, I tell you. Mad!

#143867 06/12/05 07:23 PM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Factoid often IS used to mean something resembling a fact without being one, such as "a duck's quack doesn't echo", "An ostrich's eyes are bigger than its brain" "Men are six times more likely to be struck by lightning than women", "Australians speak English", that kind of thing.

#143868 06/12/05 08:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ignoring his cruel attack on our convict cousins, I would tend to agree with Vernon. Whenever I hear or use "factoid", it's always with the sense of implicit spuriosity.

#143869 06/12/05 10:19 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
well, I recognise when I'm outnumbered by upsidedowners, but I still have to agree with the good Father - its connotation is surely mostly just like the suffix ~ette, leading to a sense of diminutive.

But perhaps the two aren't such a stretch apart... humanoid > less than human > oid=less... ?

ah, I've got Billie Holiday playing just now on this fine June night... "Me, Myself & I" trickling out into the balmy hayfield...

edit: not so balmy as barmy spellin'!

#143870 06/12/05 10:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Billie Holiday

For All We Know....

formerly known as etaoin...
#143871 06/13/05 04:29 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I suspect the confusion has come about from the fact that most people come across factoids in lists of 10 Amazing Things You Didn't Know About Lists, in which the trivial, the only true with lots of qualifications, and the downright false are all intermingled.

Perhaps in some places the ratios vary, and hence the confusion about what factoid means. I agree with Father Steve and the Southrons that factoid should and maybe does mean not quite true alleged fact.

Bingley

Bingley
#143872 06/13/05 09:12 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I don’t think we are saying radically different things, Bingley. I agree on the primary sense. But FS was correct in drawing attention to the other meaning - it exists, it's out there.

I think there is a clear case of language change going on in front of our eyes on this one - ~oid started out as ‘like or not quite real’ and has gathered a denotation of ‘small’ through repeated connotative association.

Websters merely records the two senses:

Main Entry: fac•toid
Pronunciation: 'fak-"toid
Function: noun
1 : an invented fact believed to be true because of its appearance in print
2 : a brief and usually trivial news item

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=factoid

American Hurtage has an effective marker as a usage note:

NOUN:
1. A piece of unverified or inaccurate information that is presented in the press as factual, often as part of a publicity effort, and that is then accepted as true because of frequent repetition: “What one misses finally is what might have emerged beyond both facts and factoids—a profound definition of the Marilyn Monroe phenomenon” (Christopher Lehmann-Haupt). 2. Usage Problem A brief, somewhat interesting fact.
OTHER FORMS: fac•toid al —ADJECTIVE

USAGE NOTE: The –oid suffix normally imparts the meaning “resembling, having the appearance of” to the words it attaches to. Thus the anthropoid apes are the apes that are most like humans (from Greek anthr pos, “human being”). In some words –oid has a slightly extended meaning—“having characteristics of, but not the same as,” as in humanoid, a being that has human characteristics but is not really human. Similarly, factoid originally referred to a piece of information that appears to be reliable or accurate, as from being repeated so often that people assume it is true. The word still has this meaning in standard usage. Seventy-three percent of the Usage Panel accepts it in the sentence It would be easy to condemn the book as a concession to the television age, as a McLuhanish melange of pictures and factoids which give the illusion of learning without the substance. •Factoid has since developed a second meaning, that of a brief, somewhat interesting fact, that might better have been called a factette. The Panelists have less enthusiasm for this usage, however, perhaps because they believe it to be confusing. Only 43 percent of the panel accepts it in Each issue of the magazine begins with a list of factoids, like how many pounds of hamburger were consumed in Texas last month. Many Panelists prefer terms such as statistics, trivia, useless facts, and just plain facts in this sentence.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/74/F0007400.html

An architect friend of mine refers with bitter disparagement to "bungaloids", and there is no doubt that he is referring to small domestic habitations scattered in the countryside, with a further connotative connection with haemorrhoids!

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/haemorrhoid?view=uk

#143873 06/13/05 09:18 AM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Explain yourself, young man. Earlier you said:
In reply to:

its connotation is surely mostly just like the suffix ~ette, leading to a sense of diminutive.(ea)

Now you say

In reply to:

I agree on the primary sense. But FS was correct in drawing attention to the other meaning - it exists, it's out there.(ea)

and go on to reference a dictionary which lists the meaning I offered as the first of two.

What size flipflops do you wear?

#143874 06/13/05 09:27 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Primary: 1 a : first in order of time or development

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=primary

What’s crawled up your dunny and bit you?! ;0~

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith