Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well, Christos is a Greek word which ultimately comes from the Indo-European word ghrei, meaning rub.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE172.html

According to this review (http://hnn.us/articles/6641.html) of a book putting forward similar ideas to Massey's: KRST is the word for “burial” (“coffin” is written “KRSW”), but there is no evidence whatsoever to link this with the Greek title “Christos” or Hebrew “Mashiah”.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...played by Boris Karloff, was named "Karis".

By any chance, was the character's last name 'Borloff'?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Karis Borloff

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Can anyone do something similar with an electronic OED?

a search for 'Egyptian' in etymologies yields 88 results, but of course few of these are "words from"; a quick scan gives: ankh, behemoth(?), card (as in playing-cards)(?), loofah, ouija(??), pyramid(?)

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
ouija!? I thought that was just supposed to the French and German words for 'yes', or is that another folk etymology?

Bingley

Bingley
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Coincidentally, I created my own Ouija board. Being a Mechanical Engineer and interested in ergonomics as well as psychic phenomena I decided that it would be more efficient to group the vowels in a central location. After much juggling and finally a psychic phenomenon of my own I was successful and quite astonished at the results! The alphabet is bilatterally symmetrical about its vowels! Also, coincidentally, my interest in Gerald Massey's works followed my reading of Alvin Boyd Kuhn's work, The Esoteric Meaning of the Alphabet." Kuhn was a protege of Massey. If you're interested in seeing Scrybe email me at joelamando@aol.com and I'll attach a copy.

#143710 06/10/05 04:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ouija rated a (??) based on this:

[Origin uncertain.
The word has been variously explained as (a) < French oui OUI adv. + German ja yes (see YEA adv.), (b) < an ancient Egyptian word for ‘good luck’ (although app. no such word exists), and (c) < the name of Oujda, the name of a city in Morocco.]

this is from the revised draft edition of OED © 2004;
the 2nd edition has only this: [f. F. oui yes + G. ja yes.]

so they've backed off from the oui/ja explanation.

#143711 06/11/05 01:21 AM
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I attended a conference on the history of the Ouija board several years ago in Salem, Mass and met william Fuld's grandaughter there. Fuld was the creator of Parer Brothers Ouija board. Ouija was the French and German combination of words as I recall according to Feld. There were a lot of talking boards after before and after that but it was Feld's definition of Ouija. Actually, before Feld, the original inventor Charles Kennard called the new board Ouija (pronounced wE-ja) after the Egyptian word for good luck. Ouija is not Egyptian for good luck, but since the board reportedly told him it was during a session, the name stuck. Or so the story goes. It is more likely that the name came from the fabled Moroccan city Oujda (also spelled Oujida and Oudjda). This makes sense given the period's fondness for Middle Eastern cites and the psychic miracles of the Fakirs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith