#14336 01/01/01 05:34 PM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
This from iWon.com News:

2001's List Of Banished Words And Phrases Is Released

SAULT STE. MARIE, MICHIGAN, JANUARY 1, 2001 (CBS News) - Chad, be gone!

Not the country or the man's first name. Just the hanging, dimpled, and pregnant kind that launched the word into Americans' vocabulary this presidential election.

Chad was the year's most nominated for exile from the English language on the 2001 Banished Word List, compiled by Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.

"We've heard it 12 times an hour on the news," said Mike Warner of Anchorage, Alaska. "Chad has gotta go."

Among the other words and phrases from the world of politics that wandered onto this year's list is "fuzzy math," unleashed by President-elect George W. Bush.

From the world of business, dot-com emerged as a popular word to kick out of the vocabulary. Last year, "e"-anything made the list.

Kelly Hall, of York, Pa., wants "shaken up" - a reference to a sports injury - taken out of sports lingo. "As if athletes were martinis," Hall said.

"Dude," as in the movie Dude, Where's My Car? made the list, as did "diva."

"I thought it was bad when I heard Madonna described as a 'diva.' Since then, I've seem promotions for shows on `male divas' and `transvestite divas,' " said Jennifer McGraw, of Brevort, Mich.

Just because words make the list doesn't mean people will stop using them. "Road rage" was on past lists, but it's still a popular way to describe angry, aggressive drivers.

Among the phrases on this year's list: "Have a good one!" "One of the only," and "Manual recount by hand."

Other banned words include:

Negative growth, as opposed to positive shrinking
Shaken up, referring to an athletic injury
Foot speed
Leverage
Heads-up
Factoid
Final destination
Begs the question

Lake Superior, the smallest public university in Michigan, releases the list each January 1, compiled from submissions gathered from academia, advertising, business, journalism, the military, politics and sports.

This is the list's 26th year.

I thought you'd all enjoy that, especially seeing some of the more deplorable phrases that we've previously discussed.

#14337 01/01/01 07:34 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hi, JazzO, Happy New Year!
This is sort of not similar but is in a way ... does anyone know anything about the list some college (?) puts out for teachers about what the freshmen have NOT lived through ... such as : the class of 2004 has never lived in a world without cellular phones.
I found it fascinating in past years when a friend sent it by email but he has now moved to work in The Big Apple and no longer has time for frivolity. Poor child!
Anyone offer any help? Tsuwm?
Thank you, wow

#14338 01/01/01 08:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the Class of 2004 Mindset List, from Beloit College:

http://www.beloit.edu/~pubaff/releases/Mindset-List-2004.html

joe (happy new year) friday

#14339 01/01/01 10:29 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
WHAT ?!?!

I finally understood what Begs the question means. It took a whole thread and a message from tsuwm (merci) to finally get it...and they are saying it should be erased...no way, nope, un un!

#14340 01/02/01 02:49 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Class of 2004 Mindset List, from Beloit College:

http://www.beloit.edu/~pubaff/releases/Mindset-List-2004.html

Tsuwm,
As always you are there with a helping hand. A friend in deed.
Thank you,
wow

#14341 01/02/01 07:50 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
the man's first name
Wish they'd get rid of that, too. Most inane name I know of.

#14342 01/02/01 11:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But all these words are so useful! Look:

Once Upon A Chad

Took a chad out of my hand this morning with a screwdriver. There it was, just hanging, dimpled and kinda pregnant-looking. It was all because of that modern-day diva, Madonna, singing another one of the only, gently off key. The proto-injury took my mind off what I was doing - fixing kitchen drawers - and I found I had lost count of the drawer handles. To remedy this, I thought I'd do a manual recount, by hand. Only one hand of course, because of the chad on the other which meant that it couldn't be counted. At least, not without a ruling on the issue from both the Florida and US Supreme Courts, which seemed a little extreme when a bandaid solution would save the legal expenses.

After looking around me, I used an obscurely logical sub-branch of fuzzy math to determine that, unless I was Dubya, the number of handles should equal the number of drawers. Believe it or not, fuzzy math works, because it turned out that I was right. Since I was one handle short I rang the dude at the hardware store to order another. Shaken up from the near-fatal accident resulting in a one-handed manual chad recount, I jumped in my car and went down to the hardware store just so I could experience some real road rage at the traffic lights. Asked the dude in the shop how business was. He told me that he was experiencing negative growth, but that he was expecting to be able to leverage some new hardware lines to grow his business. He said that his business would expand because of the new lines, but I felt that he was just begging the question. He gave me a heads-up on some new types of drawer handles that he'd be stocking up on shortly.

Armed with this essential factoid, I came home.

How could we even think of living without them?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#14343 01/03/01 02:25 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Bravo, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap [standing ovation emoticon]

#14344 01/04/01 03:03 PM
old hand
old hand
Bella donna says: I finally understood what Begs the question means. It took a whole thread and a message from tsuwm (merci) to finally get it...and they are saying it should be erased...no way, nope, un un!

Sentiments with which I agree completely - except I would like to see the phrase used only in its technically correct sense. I suspect that as merely a different way of saying 'invites the question' it is pretty irritating.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith