Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The correct answer is number j. As I did no editing*, I have no editorial comments (but see * below).

The winner by a mudslide is Owlbow, who collected three(3) votes and also picked number j; honourary mention to mav for also picking j.

a) a kind of zigzag patterned cloth traditional to the Afghanistan/Pakistan region. Different patterns 'belong' to different tribal groups and before tourism took hold it was possible for an expert to identify the native village of a local from the pattern of his/her clothing. [Bridget]

b) a Sumerian tower built of clay bricks [TEd] Sparteye, belM

c) The narrow bridge over which one must pass to get to heaven in Zoroastrian belief. [Bingley] consuelo

d) a small room in a mosque where sacred items for use in worship are kept [consuelo]

e) a small Babylonian shrine, located in an individual home [wofa] Bingley

f) That which remains after a natural disaster/catastrophe. [musick] Capfka

g) From the ancient Persian, meaning system of knowledge (literally, ‘that which is known’). Michael Foucault translated the term as ‘mathesis’ to describe this aspect of Thomas Kuhn’s description of epistemological ‘paradigms’. [mav]

h) a ritualistic group avoidance of a society member for the purpose of sanction; a shunning. [Sparteye]

i) A James Hogan Scifi robot from the planet Enron. Obviously his cult status among afficionados is due to his job as the sole impregnator of the nubile females of the planet where all males are sterile and have sexual interest only in themselves. [milum] Wordwind, themilum (naturalement)

j) 1. personal dignity or honor 2. the power of commanding admiration [Dictionary Game] mav, Owlbow

k) the knot on the tassle of a fez. [Wordwind] musick, etaoin

l) interj. fr. Gael. eoisaidht, a command given to a sheep dog to steer the sheep to the left. [Faldage] ASp, Bridget

m) A monolith, in shape like a miniature ziggurat three to five meters high, raised to honor a great personage (f. Assyr. Izzattura: pyramidal). [dxb] TEd

n) A tang or hollow metal dowel used in joining masonry to brick and cinder block. Aids in relieving motion stress resulting from mortar shrinkage during curing and to offset load strain. [Owlbow] WO'N, wofa, Vernon

o) n. Vestment worn by the groom in an Ashkenaze wedding ceremony. [ASp]

p) [Arabic] the handleless coffee cup which fits within a zarf [ron o.] Faldage

---

* dxb sent me a much longer original entry, for which I chastised him online during the prelims. I received several PMs of concern that I was referring to their entries. in the event, dxb suggested cutting short his entry, which I did. herewith, then, is the offending entry in its enormity:

Izzat – A monolith, in shape like a miniature ziggurat three to five meters high, raised to honor a great personage (f. Assyr. Izzattura: pyramidal). Generally found in groups of fifty or more carefully arranged in square patterns with each izzat at an intersect of a grid laid out within the square according to astronomical rules. The central izzat, usually the largest, represents the most prominent honoree surrounded, working outward from the center, by increasingly lesser lights from the same historical period forming a sort of honor guard. Izzat quarries, found all over ancient Messopotamia, were the source of the rock used to carve out the monoliths and ancient texts show that land-owners with such rock on their property were considered fortunate to be granted an “izzat right” by the emperor of the day. Izzats are also found, inexplicably, on the Spanish island of Menorca where they are known as izzatsos.

the gravamen of my complaint pointed to dxb's ultimate pun, which I had planned to incorporate in my bogus def'n; ultimately I also thought better of this. (hi TEd!)

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, as usual, tsuwm. Congratulations Owlbow! I was tempted to vote for both yours and the cup holder one.

Milo, why do you always vote for yourself? Everybody knows that whenever you begin trying to get votes for one of these that it's yours. Transparent. That's what you are. Transparent.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
hah! ~ I correctly matched the player and word for themilum and Faldage's entries, I'm glad to say, though I had not spotted the ron-o - so are you gonna reveal what a zarf might be? :)

Well done Owlbow! and as ever, thanks tsuueeee.

#140032 02/21/05 11:13 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
One might ask you the same sort of question, Votewind.

..and I *know you voted afore Milo.

#140033 02/21/05 11:17 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage was right on it, mav -- a zarf is a holder for a handleless cup. the cup itself iznae an izzat, but a finjan! http://onelook.com/?w=finjan&ls=a

#140034 02/21/05 11:20 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
PS, tough luck wofa - I'd let Vernonono go first next time! ;)

edit: thank zarfully, tsuwm, I should have guessed that it was your cup of irony overflowing (!)(!!)

#140035 02/22/05 12:54 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Milo, why do you always vote for yourself? Everybody knows that whenever you begin trying to get votes for one of these that it's yours. Transparent. That's what you are. Transparent.

I'm sorry, Wordwind.

I would have told you the truth but I was afraid that you would tell everyone else and then I wouldn't have gotten any votes so I ...

I'm sorry Wordwind.

Thank you for your vote.

#140036 02/22/05 01:00 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, tsuwm's right: I did vote for you before you went on about how great of an entry it had been, and then I realized it was you tooting your own horn. And, besides, it is a constant, enjoyable feature of Hogwash to have you, Milo, trying to get people to vote for your entry. It would be a sad, sad day should you ever stop doing so. We can count on it as a dependable leit motif of Hogwash.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well done, Owlbow; thanks, tsuwm!

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
That was fun. If I had been around I would have voted for 'C', because I love the simple elegance of it and it is so far from anything that would have occurred to me, but it is so Connie!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 517 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith