Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#139643 02/19/05 03:30 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Too, too funny, tsuwm.

In the spirit of having your most complete record, here are the bellies in order:

Belly #1: rumen

Belly #2: reticulem

Belly #3: omasum

Belly #4: abomasum

*All of the above belly terms from tsuwm's site where he sends you from one to the other backwards.

...and you thought taphonomy was too technical?

#139644 02/19/05 03:40 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Getting back to the original question, there are a number of words which might cover an over-eager love of one's country, but the most dangerous one is "Fascist". Fascism is characterised by an almost mystical (and generally unhealthy) view of one's country as "the best". And it's coming back after a half-century of slumber. If Themilum was joking about Canada and its relationship to the US, I can only say it was in bad taste given what's going down these days. Words just like his are being bandied about quite seriously by a lot of people, mostly from the US, of real ill-will.

Love of country is an interesting emotion (when it's not being used to justify some war). I "love" New Zealand, but in a rather abstract way. New Zealanders are typically laconic about patriotism, preferring not to wave banners or sing anthems or salute the flag - except at sporting events involving Australia. I have a T-shirt which has "I support two teams - New Zealand and anyone playing Australia" on the back. But I think that New Zealanders do not really feel the need to display patriotism in the same way that the US (and, increasingly, Australia) does. It's just a given. Having said that, I was at Gallipoli in Turkey last year for the Anzac Day celebrations, and I have to say that I felt quite patriotic that day. Not against anyone else, just proud to be a New Zealander.

Up to 15% of New Zealanders are out of the country at any given time and many of us either have dual nationality or are long-term residents in other countries. I'll be taking up British citizenship (while retaining my New Zealand citizenship) later this year, and I don't feel any real sense of conflict (except when the French give the English their annual hiding at rugby).

As for the etymology of the use of "American" to describe citizens of the US, WW and the others who agreed with her are exactly right. It's a contraction which came into use simply because the US doesn't have a simple "name" in the same way that Canada, Australia or Great Britain do. I don't think it generally causes any confusion on the other sides of either pond. If people say they are American, most people assume that they are from the US. I usually say "I'm a Kiwi". I don't remember the last time I had to clarify that. I suppose it's down to my long beak and big feet ...

But recently I have noticed an increasing prevalence of people not bothering to say that they from the US at all. They say "I'm from Indiana" or "I'm from South Carolina". While it might bespeak a certain arrogance - an assumption that people know that these states are part of the US - I find it saves the two-question hit: "Where are you from?" closely followed by "Which state?"

And I have noticed a lot of maple leaves around USns lately, too.

#139645 02/19/05 05:00 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> big feet ...

... placed so artfully, Pfranz!

#139646 02/19/05 06:38 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Of course, Mav!

#139647 02/19/05 07:38 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
"Getting back to the original question, there are a number of words which might cover an over-eager love of one's country, but the most dangerous one is "Fascist". Fascism is characterised by an almost mystical (and generally unhealthy) view of one's country as "the best". And it's coming back after a half-century of slumber. If Themilum was joking about Canada and its relationship to the US, I can only say it was in bad taste given what's going down these days. Words just like his are being bandied about quite seriously by a lot of people, mostly from the US, of real ill-will." - Capfka,

Perhaps Capfka, you will share the words of bad taste that you hear bandied about by me and the people of the United States these days.

Perhaps it is poor taste for you to drop such open-ended comments in a paragraph of which the subject is "Fascists and Fascism".

Make your point.

#139648 02/19/05 07:47 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Do you know, Milo, I believe I already have?

#139649 02/19/05 08:19 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Yes, Capfka, I guess you have.

#139650 02/20/05 05:01 AM
D
Dgeigh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
can't remember the name of the essay

A Modest Proposal

Thanks to everyone for their input on my first question. It seems there really is not a single word to exclusively describe the citizenry of the U.S.A. ‘Citizen of the U.S.A.’ is about as wieldy a term as we can get.

Regarding my second question: unfortunately, I still do not think we have found the right word for what I had in mind. Perhaps such a word does not exist. Nevertheless, thanks for your input on that question too.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 781 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith