Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#139633 02/18/05 10:58 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>>and yeah, there was this, mumble, mumble, attempted invation of Canada, mumble mumble..

HA!!! Thanks of troy, that made me laugh.

I agree with you that you can disagree with what was done in the past but the important part is making sure that they don't repeat themselves, eh!

#139634 02/19/05 12:13 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
What a lovely thread, guys - I just read it all with a gentle grin on my face (having been shut out of it for a couple of days due to one of those strange gremlins I still get on this site) Celebrating difference without animosity does work. :)

#139635 02/19/05 12:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>in our schools in the deep south we learned of the bravery of the Canadian soldiers and of their high ratio of representation to the mutual cause of freedom in WWII

them:

I will take that cum grano salis, having been educated in the south, though not THAT deep. US-Virginia history, which was required where I went to HS, did not mention Canada much at all, and certainly didn't laud the Canadians for their contributions to our freedom. Of course it didn't dis them, either.

>I wouldn't bother insulting our friends the Canadians if I did not admire them greatly and think them worth saving, would I?

I admire them and think they are worth saving, ergo I will insult them. Themilum, that's arrant bullcrap. What do you do to people you don't admire or don't think are worth saving? And what the heck makes you think that the Canadians NEED saving, anyway?

I'll tell you what I think, themilum. I think you just like the anonymity of the internet so you can get your jollies by going around insulting people without getting your head pounded in, not that such would be your fate in your town there in Mississippi or Alabama or hwerehever it is you hail from. Nope, you go and insult some of those good ol' boys down there to theirs face and they're pretty likely gonna kick your ass until your nose bleeds!

PLEASE! Think about the effects of what you say. Putting a smily face after an insult or coming back later when you've been confronted to say you were only kidding does not detract from the hurt you inflict on others, particularly when, as in this case, your criticism is groundless. [/rant]

TEd

TEd
#139636 02/19/05 02:42 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
What a lovely thread, guys - I just read it all with a gentle grin on my face (having been shut out of it for a couple of days due to one of those strange gremlins I still get on this site) Celebrating difference without animosity does work. :)

Look TEd, Mister Maverick got back from this thread the light-hearted spirit that he brought to this thread.

I, for one, wish I had included in my posts some nice, clever, corny, puns.

________________________ Have a nice day _______________________

#139637 02/19/05 03:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ted, i don't always get themilum humor.. (and he has had several PM's from me) since some of his comments seemed so harsh
(yeah, i know, kettle calling the pot black--i know i have sufferered from bad cases of viperous tongue)
but i have also figured out, most often, milo is being sly, and witty, (and sometimes we miss that, because his tongue is stuck so firmly in his cheek as to make his words hard to understand!

and sometimes, too, TEd, i hate it when an interesting thread goes off topic, and turns into yet another Pun fest.

i don't always get milo's humor, but i enjoy it (when i do get it) better than puns.

Chalk and Cheese-- or what ever pair of opposites you'd like..

i like gritty chalk (crossing thread), i have never had the urge to eat dirt, but i like the old tums. i really like the dry hard grittiness of them. and occational eat one or two as snack.. (and a good sourse of calcium!) --

interesting isn't? dairy food and cheese is another good source of calcium.. they have something in common..but they are different as can be.

#139638 02/19/05 04:11 AM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
>, most often, milo is being sly, and witty, (and sometimes we miss that, because his tongue is stuck so firmly in his cheek as to make his words hard to understand!

Most often he's being the sort of spoiled brat who thinks causing pain is fun, and grows up to be a serial killer, wondering why nobody else gets his "jokes". That is, of course, assuming that such a person grows up. No sign of that here.

#139639 02/19/05 09:29 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
And a good morning to you too Vernon Compton. We didn't rest very well last night now did we, Vernon? Well, treat yourself to a doughnut and a glass of warm milk, and take take a Happy Slumber Pill and go take a little nap.
Then, when you wake up, go over to your computer and erase all those nasty personal things you said about the Milum.
You'll feel oh-so-much better, because at heart, I'm sure, you are not a bitter man.

#139640 02/19/05 01:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
aaaw, come on, Vern, don't tell you also believe the Swift was advocating cannabalizism when he wrote his suggestion for the 'solution' of the irish "problem"?

(i am brain dead at the moment, and can't remember the name of the essay--but someone here will supply it, if needed)

i think Milo plays the devils advocate (with relish!)because he's afraid of being caught out as the liberal he is, --what with him living right in the buckle of the (US) bible belt!

#139641 02/19/05 03:01 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Bible belt. And then a good bit northward, there's the snow belt. The farm belt must be in the midwest.

A very overweight nation we are with so many bellies held in place by so many belts. Being double- or triple-chinned is one thing, but being triple-bellied? Gulp.

#139642 02/19/05 03:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in the spirit of one-upmanship: http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/abc.htm#abomasum

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 604 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith