Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#137131 01/15/05 02:59 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In English our 'hand' palm is the same word as the one for the tree. Is this true in other languages? I realize that there are words in other languages similar to our palm such as paume and palma, but are these words, too, words for the tree? I can't imagine 'handflata' being the tree as well as the palm of the hand...but would like to know.

Thanks.

#137132 01/15/05 03:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When are two different words not two different words?

Apparently the name of the tree (palma in Latin) derives from the shape of the leaves (like the palm of the hand, palma in Latin). The word for the tree, per AHD, entered Old English from the Old French and the word for the part of the hand entered Middle English from Old French. So go figure.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/79/P0027900.html

http://www.bartleby.com/61/80/P0028000.html

#137133 01/15/05 04:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not a direct reply, but. I was going to be buying food for one of our incoming refugees from Liberia, and one of the things I was told would be welcomed was palm oil. I finally found it at an oriental grocery, and when the girl (who came all that way to live in a strange country by herself at age 19!) arrived, I asked her (more or less) whether it was what she was used to, since to me it was nasty-looking. I was surprised to learn that she didn't say palm with an ah sound for the a like we do, but said it with the a having the same sound as in am, or pam. I find it next to impossible to say palm that way!

#137134 01/15/05 05:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
my mother says calm to rhyme with pam..

as for palm oil.. well its not pure refined oil as we are more used to.. (corn oil or vegetable oil)

its more like butter (which is easily 'clarified" and can yeild a pure oil, but most westerns like the taste and characteristic of the 'milk solids' in butter, and rarely use clarified butter.

coconut cream is similar--its not pure oil either, but has coconut meat (suspended solids) in it..
coconut oil is sweet. but red palm oil is sharp (think of the succulent taste of a tomato.. or citrus fruit)

(you can get a similar taste to red palm oil by combining tomato paste and coconut oil.--sounds weird, taste good as gravy (with peanut butter for ground nut stew))

meanwhile getting back to hand/palm
there is also the hosta plant, who's latin name has a palm root--only with (edit, thanks to dr bill,) with a twist.. a metathesis, it's plantian.. (like plantain weeds)
(more editing..)
in checking the metathesis is an old one! these are from the american heritage dictionary, (with links too)

{green]Palm:
1. Any of various chiefly tropical evergreen trees, shrubs, or woody vines of the family Palmae (or Arecaceae), characteristically having unbranched trunks with a crown of large pinnate or palmate leaves having conspicuous parallel venation. 2. A leaf of a palm tree, carried as an emblem of victory, success, or joy. 3. Triumph; victory. 4. A small metallic representation of a palm leaf added to a military decoration that has been awarded more than one time.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old English and from Old French palme, both from Latin palma, palm of the hand, palm tree (from the shape of the tree's fronds). See pel-2 in Appendix I.
to see the pel-2 info..
http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE391.html

(root word) Flat; to spread. Oldest form *pel2-; variant *ple2-, colored to *pla2-, contracted to *pl-.

Derivatives include field, planet, plasma, plastic, and polka.
1. Suffixed form *pel()-tu-. field, from Old English feld, open field, from Germanic *felthuz, flat land. 2. Suffixed form *pel()-t-es- (by-form of *pel()-tu-). a. feldspar, from Old High German feld, field; b. veldt, from Middle Dutch veld, velt, field. Both a and b from Germanic *feltha-, flat land. 3. Variant form *pl-. a. Suffixed form *pl-ru-. floor, from Old English flr, floor, from Germanic *flruz, floor; b. suffixed form *pl-no-. llano, piano2, plain, planarian, plane1, plane2, plane3, planish, plano-, planula; esplanade, explain, pianoforte, from Latin plnus, flat, level, even, plain, clear. 4. Suffixed zero-grade form *p-m-. palm1, palm2, palmary, from Latin palma (< *palama), palm of the hand. 5. Possibly extended variant form *plan-. a. planet; aplanatic, from Greek plansthai, to wander (< “to spread out”); b. perhaps Germanic *flan-. flâneur, from French flâner, to walk the streets idly, from a source akin to Old Norse flana, to wander aimlessly. 6. Suffixed zero-grade form *pl-dh-. –plasia, plasma, –plast, plaster, plastic, plastid, –plasty; dysplasia, metaplasm, toxoplasma, from Greek plassein (< *plath-yein), to mold, “spread out.” 7. O-grade form *pol-. a. polynya, from Russian poly, open; b. Polack, polka, from Slavic polje, broad flat land, field. (Pokorny pel- 805.) See also extensions plk-1 and plat-.

see how the Pl switches at times to pel (or PL(vowel sound) to P(vowel sound) L sound..

the PLANTAR of plantar warts (on the soles of your feet) is related to the PALM of the palm of your hand!--and to the palm tree..

#137135 01/16/05 10:18 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, everybody. My curiosity has been satisfied.

I didn't know anything about the etymology of the tree palm v. the hand palm--and, if they'd been connected, I figured somebody here would point out the connection. And, if not connected, well, no real surprise there. But if someone had said that handflata, for instance, had a Swedish counterpart in the tree palm, well, that would have been worth a big chuckle.

#137136 01/17/05 12:19 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a Swedish counterpart in the tree palm

The Swedish Palm Tree is a little known and rarely seen species of palm. Apparently, it can be seen only by the pure in heart ... and hand.

#137137 01/17/05 02:58 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
It's probably similar to the North Americam Palm, or Napalm as it's commonly known.

#137138 01/17/05 03:13 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
re Swedish Palm ... apparently, it can be seen only by the pure in heart

That's not a "Swedish Palm", Father Steve.

That's a "palmito". :)

Extract:

"The comercial cultivation of "palmito" palms (from which heart of palm is extracted) began in Ecuador in 1987 and since then its expansion has been constant, having become a new export crop.
-----------
Palmito cultivation is generating deforestation in extensive areas of tropical forest in several Amazonian provinces (Napo, Sucumbíos, Morona Santiago, Pastaza), as well as resulting in the disappearance of a number of forest remnants of the country's Western region."

http://www.wrm.org.uy/bulletin/33/Ecuador.html

#137139 01/17/05 07:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's probably similar to the North Americam Palm, or Napalm as it's commonly known.

I took a class from Chef Paul Prudhomme years ago in which he defined "Cajun napalm" as a mixture of fat and flour heated in a pan to about 500 degrees, used to thicken and flavour Cajun sauces. I think non-Louisiannan people call that "a roux."

#137140 01/17/05 10:49 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And a roux is a great-tasting concoction! I'll remember Cajun napalm, F. S. Thanks for that synonymous addition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 693 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith