Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wonder also, mav..
<fade>

Olive Oyl: Why is the moonlight shimmering in the water, Popeye?
Popeye: sotto voce I yam what I yam... puffing on pipe and opening tin can Kumatage, Olive.

http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bard/bardware/popeye/popeye1.gif

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
So tsit back on the couch, tsuwm (move over, Milo!) and tell me how long you've had these issues about sailors...?

D
drallie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
"Oh, my GOODness!!" (to quote that little girl with the curly hair and dimples...). When Anu responded to my email by politely explaining "my limited time prevents me from doing justice to individual questions" and suggesting I post the question here, well.... I have known for several years that AWAD listmembers were creative and thoughtful folks; the depth to which some go to comment on individual words has been enormously pleasurable (not to mention educational!!). I didn't expect, however, that my little query (truly a vexing question for multiple years now) would generate this most wonderful threaded response. Thank you so very much!!

Allison Bartlett

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
So stick around if you feel like it, Allison. We're nutters, but mostly harmlesss...

#136818 01/05/05 03:51 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi Allison,
That's what you get for asking such a good question.
I've seen it many times before. I've learned much here.

#136819 01/07/05 02:51 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
>That's what you get for asking such a good question.
>I've seen it many times before.

I too have seen (and asked) similar questions before in various contexts. As it turns out there is little language to describe effects such as the moon's and sun's reflections on water. The effect provides endless fascination for many of us, and I’ve often questioned why this is. First of all if one looks at the water one can notice a symmetrical mirror image of, say, the moon in the water with the horizon as the 'fold' between the 'real' and reflected light – this is your classic ‘moonglade’.

If one looks at the crests of waves, and little ripples gathering on a shoreline though, one recognizes endless little moons nested within the folds of water – just as each droplet on a car window holds an upside-down view of the view of outside relative to its own size. If one retreats to the distance of, say, the ISS, our moon’s reflection spans whole seas of course. Does the word ‘moonglade’ do all this justice? The idea of 'self-similarity across scales' and the scientific field called 'chaos theory' seems to have some pertinence here, but I’ll resist trying to relate anything ‘bout that. The bewildering thing though is that this 'organised chaos' (great term, hey) seems to be in practically everything we do - though this comes as little surprise to many ‘less educated’ people, I suppose.

Much can be said on the topic, but it is infused with a mystery which the moon, oceans and seas, clearly embody. Water’s staggering power and potential for destruction has, of course, been made horrifically clear in recent weeks. And when you look into another person’s eyes standing on the water’s edge, and see in them the reflection of the water's reflection, of the moon's reflection of the sun's glow, there is a sense of very personal awe and universal beauty that can make your knees weak.

"The sea isn't a place but a fact, and a mystery." Mary Oliver

#136820 01/07/05 02:59 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
beauty that can make your knees weak

There is beauty in your thought which can make knees weak [as well], belligerentyouth.

#136821 01/07/05 03:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Oliver

one of my all-time favorite writers. just to think of her is to smile, and sigh with contentment and connection.

formerly known as etaoin...
#136822 01/07/05 03:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Crispy! Good to see you! How are you?
Plutarch, if you thought that post was nice, you should see some of his poetry. I've still got a piece of it saved.

#136823 01/07/05 03:58 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well said belligerentyouth. (Poetry? Could we be blessed with a sample please?)
But speaking of empty boasts...
Are we to believe that there are only 2 places in the world where moonbows can be seen?
I plan on going to the several little local waterfalls that I know of, on clear full moon nights to investigate. If nothing else, it will be a good “excuse” to be out on a nice night. I might even be favored with some owl talk.
I’ll let you know if I see or don’t see a bow. If I don’t, I guess I’ll just have to go to Kentucky.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith