Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
#13657 01/12/01 04:40 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Musick asserted that:
Language is "never" larger than the individual!

But how can it not be? Can you say that there are no places where language is that you are not?
The language of the individual (at any moment) cannot be greater than the individual(granted by definition,) but surely the language per se is greater than any individual, being, as it is, a thing common to all. Do you see where we may be misunderstanding each other, and can you elaborate on that and your assertion?
Thanks,
mm

#13658 01/12/01 07:24 AM
P
P
My assumption exactly. And the metaphor has now been extended to bulletin boards.

#13659 01/12/01 07:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One form of tat might be useless, rags, etc., but tat is a back form of tatting-- a form of lace making-- Cap't kiwi might know about it, since tatting is done with a shuttle, and has three basic forms, threads (straight pieces) loops, and mesh-- and tatted mesh is almost identical to "fish net"-- except the thread and mesh is much, much finer. but the mesh is formed the same way one makes a fish net.

The threads are just a bit heaver than sewing thread-- silk buttonhole thread would be too thick-- and the mesh is very fine. but the process is the same.. Meshing is the hardest tatting to do, since you need to work with a shuttle not much thicker than a sewing needle.

Thread and loops shuttles are small, about the size of a small/medium tube of women's lipstick and the size doesn't effect your work, but with mesh, the finer your shuttle the finer your mesh.

So any of you guys who have ever repaired a fishing net--you know the basics of tatting.
Thread and loop tatting is all done with hitches and half hitches, similar to netting.. but close together, in miniture, "picot's "(Pee co's) are created by leaving an excess of thread between stitches to form a single thread loop...

when my son became a boy scout and had to learn knots--he was flabbergasted by how many i knew, and how fast i could tie them! (when i was totally crazy-- i tatted lace for a dolls underwear!--then i looked for something more productive to do with my time.. and took up computers. fine choice i made there!

curiously, bones knit -- but our threads cross, (so we are embroidering our language?)

#13660 01/12/01 09:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We are both watching the same river from opposite banks. You assert the pure logic to prove my point (even though I reserve the reason for using quotes for the next response), and you claim, as did I, that it is within the context of all languages that one person's understanding of language resides. Language is always part of the individual who uses it, yet usually not part of how we understand it (with the happy exception of what most seek to do so thorough a board such as this.)

" ...is "never" larger than the individual". This is for the same reason that - when Billie Holiday starts singing, I will know it is her within a note or two!!!

I whole heartedly assert that... per se

#13661 01/12/01 09:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think I'm getting needled.

Every once in a while you have to break your thread, tie it off, and start again. (I see this "thread" throughout)

I just got here..! I'm still spending the time it takes to at least patch the quilt on the worn side that is missing certain 'spec's. Yous guys already are efficient (or have learned what to ignore)...........I take that back!

#13662 01/13/01 05:42 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
HOT declares: Cap't kiwi might know about it, since tatting is done with a shuttle, and has three basic forms, threads (straight pieces) loops, and mesh

Helen, I'd love to know the logic that got you to the point where you decided I might know about it!

But funnily enough - my dear old Mum taught us all, boys and girls, to knit, crochet and tat. If I'd shown the slightest interest, I'd probably also know how to operate a sewing machine, but I'm not as green as I'm cabbage-looking.

As a matter of fact, I taught SWMBO the basics of tatting.

But dolls' underwear?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#13663 05/30/01 03:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as this is one of the [many] recurring themes hereabouts, I thought that the following might be of some interest to folks: [from alt.english.usage]

the the "hoi polloi" debate
---------------------------

Yes, "hoi" means "the" in Greek, but the first 5 citations in the
OED, and the most famous use of this phrase in English (in Gilbert
and Sullivan's operetta _Iolanthe_), put "the" in front of "hoi".
This is not a unique case: words like "alchemy", "alcohol",
"algebra", "alligator", and "lacrosse" incorporate articles from
other languages, but can still be prefixed in English with "the".
"The El Alamein battle" (which occurred in Egypt during World War
II), sometimes proffered as a phrase with three articles, actually
contains only two: _alamein_ is Arabic for "two flags" (which is
appropriate for a town on the border between Egypt and Libya), and
does not contain the Arabic article _al_.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 528 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith