Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#135872 12/10/04 07:32 PM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Pale Male, the world famous New York city Red Tail Hawk, was recently evicted and his family's nest illegally removed from his posh 5th Avenue building by the building's owner.

Pale Male showed up in NYC about ten years ago and has gone on to successfully raise several broods despite the challenges of being a "citified" hawk. Many books, NOVA and Nat Geo. documentaries and websites abound about this glorious Hawk. It is said that New Yorker's
are jaded but hundreds gather during nesting season and many every day just to watch Pale Male. They gather across the street in Central Park
and it is not uncommon to see celebrities standing beside the homeless in awe of this amazing Hawk and Pale Male has shown thousands of the joy and wonder of nature and wild things- our world can always use more of this kind of appreciation for the web of life.

Please sign the NY Audubon Society petition to have Pale Male's nest
left alone or to build a nest platform for his family on a nearby
building? Just send an email to the address below or go to the NY
Audubon Society website to learn more, see films and sign the petition.

WELL, of troy, WHAT ARE YOU POSH NEW YORKERS GOING TO DO NOW?
LET PALE MALE AND HIS HOMELESS CHILDREN STARVE SLOWLY ON THE HARD COLD SIDEWALKS OF EASTSIDE NEW YORK?

What's the skinny on this report?

#135873 12/10/04 09:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ME? well i'll sign the petition.

there are several hawks now in NYC. one nesting pair can be found in little bay (my old neighborhood) and another nesting pair resides at the Queens Jail (really a holding area, since Rikers is the real city jail) i mentioned that halk in a thread about jury duty(i was a grand juror for 2 weeks this summer)

Yes, Pale Male, in the best NY tradition, was a squatter, and he chose the best real estate to squat on! (and so got the most publicity! what a media hound he is!)

BUT a NYC law (local law 10) requires every building to be inspecteced every 5 years, and any facade damage to be repaired (or for repairs to commence) in 30 days.

the building came up for inspection, and the accumutated nesting material and bird droping (are all bird dropping a kind of guano? or just sea birds?) well the stuff is caustic, and damages the morter that hold decorative elements firm to the facade..

in any case, a follow up story on local TV news showed pale male with building matter in his bill.

its not clear where he is building his new nest..
(he has lost at least 2 mates.. so the guy is a serial monogamist) and really a new house is not too much to ask for partner 3!

personally, i wouldn't mind if a red hawk settled in my neighborhood (the queens jail is less than 2 miles away), i am hoping one of the offspring move in near by! the neighborhood is infested with pidgeons and squirrels. (some nearby resideds even feed them!) my terrace has screens to keep it vermin (and yes, they are vermin!) free. but my car, parked on the street is frequently 'attacked' by pidgeons.

#135874 12/11/04 12:23 AM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Thanks, of troy, we count on you to cop the haps in ole New Amsterdam.

And as of bill reported, damn the humping details, let's fight this blatant attack by robot men against the winged spirit of soaring life . Man the barricades...

http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

(Oops...can I get back with you in a minute after I fix this little glich in our war against the robots... )

Sorry, the protest site is not clickable.
Drat, even the manning of barricades has been perverted by computer geeks these days!

Just email...

audubonaction@audubon.org

to add your voice to the protest petition.

#135875 12/16/04 08:02 PM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
WITH YOUR HELP, AUDUBON WINS VICTORY FOR FAMED HAWK

Great news! Audubon Society negotiators and the Co-op Board of a posh Manhattan building reached an agreement that will allow Pale Male and his mate Lola to rebuild their nest! Within days, a network of steel spikes that previously held Pale Male’s nest in place, and will hold his new nest in place, should return to the hawks' 12th-floor home, just in time for mating season.

Many thanks for your inspiring commitment to help Pale Male by signing our petition. Your signature, and that of thousands upon thousands of other concerned citizens will help ensure Pale Male is going home for the holidays! As this is not the only or last fight we’ll see on issues that impact bird like Pale Male across the nation, we hope we can count on you to participate in future efforts to protect America’s special birds, as your involvement is truly effective! Just as our fight to save Pale Male’s nest proves, your help makes a world of difference! For more information, visit our website at: http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/

Best wishes to you and your loved ones this holiday season.

(Message from Audubon Society 12-16-04)

#135876 12/17/04 12:18 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Why 'pale male'?

Is the female a 'pale female' as may be most female birds or perhaps is she a brighter shade of pale?

#135877 12/17/04 03:35 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
all red hawks have some white patches, pale male is a very light red color and has a good deal of white.. (he is a pale red male hawk!)--

#135878 12/17/04 04:33 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

(he is a pale red male hawk!)--

So, he is a pale red with lots of white male hawk. Sounds like a motley pilot to me.

#135879 12/17/04 07:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The web site has got great web cam stills and photos (I especially like the baby pictures) -- there used to be a live web cam feed right there on the front page, but maybe they took it down for the winter.

http://www.palemale.com/

#135880 12/24/04 09:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#135881 02/01/05 10:26 PM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
All of God's creatures are God's creatures...

http://www.palemale.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith