Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dgeigh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
In his AWAD email today, Anu mentioned acronyms that are coined after the fact. At some point in the past, I heard that ‘cop’ was originally an acronym for ‘Constable On Patrol’. I didn’t find anything in Onelook’s offerings to suggest that this was in fact the case. M-W indicated that it was a backformation of ‘copper.’ Does anyone have any information on this? Was it originally an acronym, or was the acronym formed after the fact?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There has been much discussion of this. IIRC, the basic rule is to be very leery of any alleged acronym etymology prior to the 20th Century. Snopes examines a few alleged acronyms, although not "cop", at http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/acronyms.htm

FWIW, here's Quinion's take on "cop"
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cop2.htm

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
When I was a schoolboy we used to say "Here, cop hold of this!" if we were passing something to another boy (it was a sexist age). So the use of 'cop' as meaning to grab or seize was certainly around then.

Quinion also mentions 'Posh', which has come up for discussion here before, and is often thought to be an acronym for 'port out starboard home' and to reflect the cooler and therefore more expensive, posh, cabins on ships sailing from the UK to India. To me, given that the cooler cabins are on the north side of the ship, posh used to be a wonderful way of remembering which side of a vessel is port and which starboard.

#135737 12/07/04 06:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm assuming that the ships in question must have transited the Suez Canal. If they were to take the long way around Africa for most of the trip the north side would be the warm side.

TEd
#135738 12/08/04 10:14 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
must have transited the Suez Canal

That's right. The canal opened in 1869 to provide a shorter trade route to India.

The evidence unfortunately does not support this pretty idea as being the origin of 'posh'! Quinion suggests a few other possibilities but none of them are very convincing nor, unfortunately, are they as elegant as the port / starboard one.

P
veteran
veteran
P
"What's a dirty penny made of?"

This was a witticism current in my father's day [used in the presence of a policeman on the prowl].

[Please excuse the dangling preposition. "A dirty penny is made of what?" is not how they phrased things in those pedagogically disadvantaged days. ]

D
Dgeigh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
In the British movies and TV fare I’ve seen, I’ve also heard people who were being apprehended by the police say, “It’s a fair cop!”

P
veteran
veteran
P
“It’s a fair cop!”

Any bad guy who said this to a cop when he was collared was probably ready to cop a plea.

BTW "collar" seems to be a bit of a misnomer. Few of the bad guys I see on the 6 o'clock news are wearing collars. In fact, most of them are wearing 5 o'clock shadows.

This reminds me of another 'cops and robbers' standard "beat the rap" -- which presumably derives from "rap sheet".

In Houston, the cops used to say: "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride."

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I did some research on this awhile ago and after an hour or so all I knew was that nobody agrees on whether or not it's an acronym.
My Grandfather used to call pennies "coppers" hich made sense to me since pennies were made of copper (in those days!) When I visited England in the 1970s I saw the British penny which was quite large and copper!
The word copper was interchangeable with policeman, too.
Go figure.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>all I knew was that nobody agrees on whether or not it's an acronym.

Yet, I think the extreme scarcity of verifiable acronym origins for words of that era should be enough to mean that the likelihood is vanishingly small. Are there ANY words of similar vintage that can be established to have originated from acronyms? The whole acronym origin thing seems to be a case of projecting 20th Century fashion on to the past.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith