Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#135156 11/13/04 02:50 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
... and all you really® had to say, themillum, was "Tell us what you really think, WW".

#135157 11/13/04 02:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
calling a guy 'heel' (a guy who uses women)still carries less of a stigma than many of the 'names/words' used to describe women who fall out of 'social norms'

blue stocking and round heels are 2
slut begins to enter into the collection of vulgar terms and that list is a long one.

there are derogatory terms that are sexist but i think there are more of them that are applied to women.

but as has been pointed out on this board more than once, there exist misogynist and misandery attitutes and behaviors in our present day society. attitudes are changing about misogyny, but there are TV shows (america's funniest home videos, for example) who's stock in trade seems to be laughing a men being kick, hit, or other wise suffering injuries to their genitals.

#135158 11/13/04 03:04 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
...but there are TV shows (america's funniest home videos, for example) who's stock in trade seems to be...

Even though they have an audience I'd wager against the producers relying on *them for the sound of laughter.

It's the same reson why, IMHO, most feel "Sienfeld" or "Freinds" are funny... developed consumers of comedy being propped up by the use of laugh tracks.

Spelling altered to protect the innocent.

#135159 11/13/04 03:14 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
consumers of comedy being propped up by the use of laugh tracks.

I was always saddened and annoyed by the laughtrack on Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...patiently waiting for good, live television...

formerly known as etaoin...
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Yer gonna hafta be purty patient, e! Seems every time (well, the majority of the time) anything is truly good or funny, it's gone in weeks. Maybe the "average viewer" is lower than we think?

#135162 12/15/04 09:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I recently heard a new slang term for money in Spanish. It seems that every culture has it's own (d'oh!) but back to the new (for me) word: chavos, which loosely translates to "kids".

#135163 12/15/04 03:18 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
I think political correctness is the last thing on a person's mind when they're angry and want to insult somebody.

Not sure I can agree with that belMarduk. I can't speak for the present generation, but in years past it was not acceptable for a gentleman under any circumstances to return an insult from a lady.

Winston Churchill, at least when he was inebriated*, was a notable exception in his famous exchanges with Lady Astor.

In looking for one such exchange between Churchill and Lady Astor, I have just discovered that Lady Astor was a politician. No doubt, this explains why Churchill did not afford her the customary protection of her gender when his mighty intellect was provoked. She had forfeited that immunity by becoming a member of Parliament.*

About Lady Astor

She was known as a fierce debater. There is a famous exchange between Winston Churchill and Lady Astor when they were both staying at Blenheim Castle visiting the Marlboroughs. The two politicians had been at each other's throat all weekend when Lady Astor said, "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee." Whereupon Winston said, "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

http://www.jssgallery.org/Paintings/Lady_Astor.htm

* I have always been an admirer of Churchill [who was voted "the greatest Prime Minister of the 20th Century" by the citizens of Britain in 2000], but this reputation for returning an insult from a lady, whatever the provocation, was always a blemish on his otherwise unsullied escutcheon, at least for me.**

One can never win in the court of genteel opinion by crossing swords with a lady.

** Even his bad habits, smoking cigars and drinking too much brandy, were endearing. Churchill elevated even his weaknesses into virtues: "Claret is for boys, port is for men, but brandy is for heroes."

Churchill 'greatest PM of 20th Century'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/575219.stm

* I am sure all are familiar with this famous exchange:

"Why, Sir Winston, you are drunk!"

"Yes, madam, and you are ugly. But tommorrow I'll be sober."

Now that I have investigated the subject further, I think Sir Winston was being a little bit disingenuous in denouncing Lady Astor as "ugly". Her portrait certainly gives no evidence of it. Now, her disposition, well, that's another matter altogether.

#135164 12/16/04 12:22 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
That’s interesting, consuelo.hi :)
Wonder if there’s any connection with the widespread UK argot chav, used to describe a youth high on bling and low on educational self-esteem?

Quinion records:
Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century….
http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-cha2.htm

#135165 12/19/04 03:39 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
high on bling and low on educational self-esteem

It's easier to come by bling than it is by an education. That's the rub, isn't it?

If you could steal an education, there might be more demand for it.

Well, actually, you can steal an education, even at Yale, as the current President has demonstrated, but it takes a lot of money and some very serious heavy-duty pull to pull it off. [I understand that Dubya's year at Yale was the last year you could get in on your daddy's ticket if you couldn't make the grade on your own merit. Lucky us! ]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith