Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#13373 12/23/00 09:46 PM
X
X
Jazz,

Here's my $.02...

If there are too many posts, don't read them all. On other message boards, they may have hundreds of new posts each day. The readers of the board sort through the posts by subject and read the interesting ones. Yes, that may take away from the homey feeling of the board somewhat, and you might miss out on a clever "in" joke. What can be done?

After having been away for 5 days, I'm home for 2 days before I leave again to go to my parents' home for Christmas. When I got back from my last voyage I found nearly 200 posts in Q&A alone. There's no way I have time right now to sort through all that. I read the subjects of the threads, and if there was one of particular interest, I read it.

I agree that dragging out old dead threads can be frustrating, but what if someone comes along who has something really interesting to say on the topic. Should we fuss at them because they bring up something that we (or someone at some time past) already talked about? Should we expect them not to express themselves because we don't want to have to reread some old posts? They might have something really interesting to say! I don't think we can just tell people not to post in a thread because it's been a while since anyone has looked at it. If you don't want to rehash the topic, don't read it.

#13374 12/23/00 10:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Xara's is the voice of reason tempered with humanity, of justice tempered with mercy, of order tempered with grace. But, what would you expect from someone from Carolina who likes to pet cats?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is posted in response to Xara's excellent statements. She says, basically, cull and read the threads that interest you. But there's something all of you can do, something that doesn't happen often enough.

When you are responding to a thread, the system automatically maes the subject of the post re: followed by the original subject. All too frequently people, including myself, are guilty of not changing the subject to one that gives an idea of what the new post is about. See what I've done with this one.

This might help all of us, as I suspect there are very few people who aren't pressed for time.

TEd
#13376 12/24/00 11:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, xara echoed my earlier thoughts in a much more eloquent way. Message boards are such. And again, I'm glad this one exists.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another board I frequent allows for posts with no message, i.e., a post with subject line only and nothing in the body of the post. This is signalled to the masses by having [NM] in the subject line supplied by the board software if no text is included in the body of the post. I have already tried this on this board and it doesn't work but we can implement it ourselves by putting [NM] in the subject line and putting some trivial text in the body.

#13378 12/27/00 03:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#13379 12/27/00 09:23 PM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
[NM]

That makes no difference when you read it in flat mode except that there's a one line post.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Forgive my ignorance, but why in the world would we want to
make a post that doesn't have anything in it? Excepting
Avy's superb Apropos of Nothing post, of course.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie asks (and well she might): Forgive my ignorance, but why in the world would we want to make a post that doesn't have anything in it?

If you have only a short comment on something and don't wish to require of the reader the overhead of waiting for the post to come up and the further overhead of waiting for the original thread to come back afterward and it all fits in the Subject line then why not?

On the other hand, JazzO remarks that That makes no difference when you read it in flat mode...

All I can say is that if you are reading in flat mode then this may not be any help to you. For the record the board from which this technique was derived has only flat mode. The moderators of the site have pointedly refused to allow threaded mode on the grounds that the habitués are too unruly in terms of the digressions and that threads would get too out of hand.

I understand on an intellectual level that there are advantages and disadvantages to both flat mode viewing and threaded mode viewing. For me, even irrespective (OK tsuwm?) of the [NM] proposal, threaded mode viewing is so far superior to flat mode viewing that I don't understand why anyone would want to view in flat mode. Perhaps some kind soul can disabuse me if this notion.

Unfortunately it seems as though the only way to change viewing modes is by editing your profile in Display Preferences. I had thought that there was an easier way but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps some savvy individual could disabuse me of this notion, too.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>threaded mode viewing is so far superior to flat mode viewing ...

I use both. I start in threaded which loads quicker, then switch to flat if there are several posts in the same thread, I find it quicker. It involves less clicks and I don't have to keep scrolling up and down the screen. I can generally work out the jigsaw without threaded although sometimes have to switch back. I think it is "each to his/her/their(?!) own".

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 721 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith