Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#132192 08/29/04 10:10 PM
G
addict
addict
G
you approach understanding why the words of poetry are necessarily fuzzy

Which is why the future of a word is more important than its past, Amemeba. One scours the past, but forges the future.

If I "approach" understanding of this, or anything else, it is probably as close as I will ever get ... or anyone else for that matter.

But Picasso makes better reply than I [and he was not famed for his poetry]:

"We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth, at least the truth that is given to us to understand."

#132193 08/30/04 12:18 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Which is why the future of a word is more important than its past, Amemeba. One scours the past, but forges the future.

Amend, grapho. Our understanding of the meanings of our words is critical to our survival as a species. Words alone have the merit of a rare sparkling jewel hidden away in the absolute blackness of the deepest ocean floor...never seen.

If I "approach" understanding of this, or anything else, it is probably as close as I will ever get ... or anyone else for that matter.

I dunno grapho, you come pretty close to understanding by this use of Picasso as an example...

But Picasso makes better reply than I [and he was not famed for his poetry]:

"We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth, at least the truth that is given to us to understand."

However, grapho, I must subtract points for your failure to recognize that Picasso is a poet. You must understand that people are what they do, and are not what manner or medium they do them in, that classification is only for lawyers and tax purposes. So go now to the drawing room of your house and stop and take a long look at that Picasso hanging on your wall. Now tell me...is Picasso not a poet?

And like most poets Picasso was also a homespun philosopher, albeit a poor one. Art is not a lie nor is art a truth, art is only an unspoken observation about life that passes between the artist and another human being, and neither of either observation has to be the same as the other one.

#132194 08/30/04 10:52 AM
G
addict
addict
G
I must subtract points for your failure to recognize that Picasso is a poet.

It seems we are closer to an understanding than you know, Amemeba.

I did not say Picasso is not a poet. I said "Picasso is not famed as a poet".

Picasso's art overshadowed his poetry, as well as his home-spun philosophy.

And, yes, I agree there is poetry in Picasso's art, but little of it makes its way into poetry books.

It seems we will simply have to agree to agree, Amemeba, as fatal as that may be to the future of our discourse.

BTW the "home-spun philosophy" of a genuine genius is at home anywhere in the world. I'm sure you will agree.

#132195 09/02/04 02:00 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
It seems we will simply have to agree to agree, Amemeba, as fatal as that may be to the future of our discourse.

Never. I will not agree to agree. I will not agree to disagree. I will not even disagree to disagree. Agreeing and disagreeing is not what made this country great. If our forefathers had went about willy nilly agreeing and disagreeing about this and that, today we would still be drinking over-priced tea and powdering King George's dancing wig.

#132196 09/02/04 12:16 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
If our forefathers had went about willy nilly agreeing and disagreeing about this and that, today we would still be drinking over-priced tea and powdering King George's dancing wig.

Just like in Canada? Sheesh, but I noticed that you omitted "I will not disagree to agree." ...

"Do you, in fact, have some apples in that bag?"

#132197 09/02/04 03:27 PM
G
addict
addict
G
Never. I will not agree to agree. I will not agree to disagree. I will not even disagree to disagree.

There is nothing quite so disagreeable to a gadfly as the tyranny of agreeability, Amemeba.

And nothing which provides more fodder for a gadfly's satire either.

This is not the the end of our disagreement, Amemeba. Nor even the beginning of the end of our disagreement. But it may be the end of the beginning of our disagreement.

#132198 09/03/04 01:58 PM
G
addict
addict
G
"This is not the end of our disagreement nor the beginning of the end ..."

BTW do you agree that George W. is the equal of Winston Churchill [whether or not you admire his war-time leadership]?

#132199 09/03/04 03:36 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
... do you agree that George W. is the equal of Winston Churchill [whether or not you admire his war-time leadership]?

No! Winston Churchill merely saved the free world from enslavement while George W.and Jefferson and Franklin and Madison gave the world a scattering of free societies so that these societies so given could be saved from tyrants, fanitacial True Believers, and madmen, by brave and exceptionaly rare men...

...like Winston Churchill and President George W Bush.

Now do you understand?

#132200 09/03/04 08:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>do you agree that George W. is the equal of Winston Churchill

Naah. Churchill could hold his liquor. He could also speak English and did not think that a sentence was something you wanted suspended when you got convicted of drunken driving.

TEd
#132201 09/03/04 08:50 PM
G
addict
addict
G
"Naah. Churchill could hold his liquor" and the rest of your "sentence".

I have a feeling that Amemeba is going to disagree with you, TED Rem, but at least she will enjoy your wit.

re "Churchill could hold his liquor". Some might dispute that.

A "Lady" of some bearing accosted Churchill at a social event.

"Sir Winston, you're drunk!"

"True", replied Churchill. "I'm drunk but you're ugly. And tomorrow I'll be sober."

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith