Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Topic Options
#132075 - 08/25/04 01:59 PM volutes/helixes
Wordwind Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Piedmont Region of Virginia, U...
Where does one begin and the other end? I ask this because I was looking at some seashells that are called volutes, and I thought that they seemed more to be helixes because they crossed many planes in rising (or falling) spirals. I think of a volute as a spiral along one broad plain, as a volute in a fiddlehead (i.e., violin).

But perhaps volute and helix are pretty much interchangeable as words. I don't know.

Would someone care to comment on these shapes?

#132076 - 08/25/04 02:09 PM Re: volutes/helixes
jheem Offline
veteran

Loc: California
volutes vs helices

Interestingly enough both words come from the same PIE root *wel- 'to turn', whence English to well. Volute is from Latin and helix from Greek. It's common for a PIE /w/ to be dropped, but sometimes it changes to a rough breathing /h/ in word-initial position and sometimes not. (cf. oinos ~ vinum 'wine', ergos ~ work 'work'.)

http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE565.html

#132077 - 08/25/04 02:13 PM Re: volutes/helixes
Wordwind Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ah! How interesting. I just read that the two shapes do overlap in how they're used. In AHD, there is one definition of helix that is rather comical if you're thinking about any possible differences between the two similar shapes. That definition is that the helix is the volute of a Corinthian column. I found that amusing and hope you will, too.

#132078 - 08/25/04 02:19 PM Re: volutes/helixes
Wordwind Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One definition of the helix indicates that the angle to the plane of the cyclinder or cone in a helix is constant. I immediately imagined a group of angles that were quite inconstant--a mental image of stairs that rose in a herky-jerky fashion at all kinds of jerry-rigged angles.

Since those stairs rising upward wouldn't be considered to be a helix due to the abrupt change in angles, I wonder what the rising shape would be called. An anti-helix?

Edit: OK. One more thing and I'm out of here. It's my birthday, so please indulge me today in a bit of going overboard on the board. I checked out the adjective forms, helical and voluted--helical has a very nice sound when you use the soft 'e' rather than the alternate long one. Here's a soft phrase:

A pelted pelican fell helically.

#132079 - 08/26/04 02:31 PM Re: volutes/helixes
Jenet Offline
journeyman

I've got helical seashells, such as mud whelks, which are just knobbly and conical with a helix going up them; and I've got the kind called volutes, which are rounded, swelling or bellying out, and the shell folded around, though I'm sure the underlying skeleton is helical too. I think of volu- as meaning "wrapped" where helic- means "spiral".

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8759 Members
16 Forums
13812 Topics
215897 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
sstone, BikerVet, MSusanElizabeth, Sumac, cocozh421
8759 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
wofahulicodoc 118
LukeJavan8 103
endymion6 100
A C Bowden 24
Tromboniator 13
Storymom 1
tsuwm 1
Jackie 1
wsieber 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11610
tsuwm 10524
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
LukeJavan8 6702
AnnaStrophic 6511
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith