Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#13257 01/09/01 06:09 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Faldage asked Do you pronounce the /? Is it slash, virgule or what?

Sorry That's how it's written. It's just said like one word AorakiMt.Cook. Of course, my posts were largely in jest. The only times I've ever heard it referred to as AorakiMt.Cook were on TV news bulletins. If one wishes to use only part of the name, it is inreasingly politic to use the lovely Aoraki (sorry, James)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whereas, I am an unreformed and unashamed user of the place names I grew up with, regardless of the official blessings bestowed on what I conceive to be mere tokenism.

I have no objections to people calling the mountain either Mt Cook or Aoraki, or even Aorangi. I know what they mean and I'm happy for them to use any of the terms, but to me and to most of the people I associate with, it's still Mt Cook. No matter how much shorter it gets (yes, I spotted that one, Max).

I was in Parapram the day before yesterday. It's spelled "Paraparaumu", but everyone I know pronounces it "Parapram". Same as Piecock/Paekakariki.

It's not insulting, it's not intended to be. It's just the difference between the way two languages, coexisting in a confined space, have grown to accommodate each other. I think it was NickW who expressed it well - it sounds pretentious for an English speaker not of Italian origin to say "Firenze" rather than "Florence". I feel the same way about the thirty or forty places in New Zealand where the Maori name has not been supplanted, it has merely been anglicised.

FWIW

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
CapK asserted Whereas, I am an unreformed and unashamed user of the place names I grew up with, regardless of the official blessings bestowed on what I conceive to be mere tokenism.

I, on the other hand, am proudly inconsistent on this issue. As a general rule, I strive to pronounce the Maori names à la mode des tangata whenua, but laziness, and a desire to avoid sounding pretentious, often leads to Toke-a-rower, Row-ta-rua, and, yes, even Parapram when the mood siezes me. I guess that my improved dilgence has a lot to do with my spending a great deal of time in the company of fluent speakers of te Reo, including some for whom it is their first language. In that sort of company the anglicisations seem more awkward than the Maori pronunciations, at least to this porangi pakepakeha.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It wasn't intended to be a criticism Max - each to their own, I say. But I do loathe the PC police - generally boot-polish Maoris like our Winnie - who run with the hares and hunt with the hounds, probably without realising they're doing it.

It's difficult to be racially prejudiced in New Zealand - it generally means you wind up "hating" close relatives. You've said, for instance, that your wife is tangata whenua. So is my brother-out-law.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

It wasn't intended to be a criticism Max - each to their own, I say. But I do loathe the PC police - generally boot-polish Maoris like our Winnie - who run with the hares and hunt with the hounds, probably without realising they're doing it.

No criticism was taken - my overwheening vanity can't conceive of such a possibility. I agree entirely about the PC police. For similar reasons, Bob Jones has written that he refuses to call Stephen O'Regan by his adopted name. Whatever boils your crawfish, and for me, I just like the way many Maori names sound.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith