Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#131714 08/28/04 12:24 AM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
While I am by no means fluent in ASL I can cummunicate somewhat. I use and abuse it much the same way I do in French and Spanish, that is I use a mixture of words (signs recognised by native signers as actually in the language), symbols (pointing etc) spelling out (equivalent to looking it up in the phrasebook)and mime.
It is a language filled with nuance. The size of the hand movements, the distance of the hands from the body, the facial expression and the body posture are all involved.
I have had a shouting argument in ASL. I have also seen puns and "poetry". I use the quotation marks not to belittle the art of the piece but because the word is not an accurate descriptor but as close as I can come in English.

#131715 08/28/04 12:46 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Now you've done it, Zed. You have tweaked the curiosity of all of us who have an interest in the future of our kind. Now tell us...what are the signing nuances of the poetry of the American Sign Language? Is it like ballet? Opera? Take your time...we'll listen.

#131716 08/28/04 01:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>While I am by no means fluent in ASL I can cummunicate somewhat.

Does Canada not have its own SL? I have noticed on this board that most USns use "ASL" where I would say "sign language", since most countries have their own, and they are often quite different. I know that Auslan and NZSL are quite distinct from each other and from ASL. Given that, I assumed Canada would have its own, as bad an assumption as that apparently made by the USns here who assume (or at least phrase their posts as if they do) that there is only one.

#131717 08/28/04 01:06 AM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
I can't remember much as I haven't studied it since high school but I do remember that the poetry was beautiful to watch. (You may need to find a website with the alphabet shown but I'll do my best)
A dream fading away was done by spelling the word while moving the hand away and letting the letters get looser and less formed.
And one pun: When the movie "Jaws" came out there was no adequate sign as the sign for jaw is just to point at your own. One, possibly local, solution was to spell out the word with both hands while holding the heels of the hands together.
"a" is a fist with the thumb beside the index. "w" is the first 3 fingers straight up while the thum holds down the pinkie. the threee fingers then snap shut like sharks jaws into "s" which is a full fist.

#131718 08/28/04 02:02 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Well done, Zed. Your two examples illustrated well the subtleties of direction that sign language has taken quite well. Thank you.

#131719 08/28/04 01:39 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Thanks for the examples of nuance in ASL, Zed.

Another interesting phenomenon in the language is how names are handled. Unfamiliar names can be finger-spelled as necessary, but folks also have name-signs. For example, one friend who signed, whose name was Hughie, his name sign was the finger-alphabet 'H' tapped on the signer's upper left arm. My name was a 'J' made on the right side of the signer's face near the check-jawline (because I have a beard). Names and nicknames can all be quite inventive.

I'm not sure about the existence of a Canadian sign language, but I know there are British and Australian sign languages. The US shows quite a lot of dialect variation in ASL.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith