Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131585 08/16/04 04:31 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
I am currently reading a popular mystery novel. It's not bad overall, but the author has an annoying method of achieving a cheap sort of suspense. It's like a perversion of dramatic irony. Instead of the reader knowing something that the character doesn't know, a character knows or does something, and the author coyly alludes to it but smugly waits to inform the reader until a later chapter. I was wondering if there is a specific term for this literary device, which achieves a sort of cliffhanger effect but at the expense of distancing the reader from the action. (Other than irritating, that is))

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Heh. I was gonna say it sounds like "The DaVinci Code," until I realized this is a pretty common technique. "Foreshadowing" or either "presaging" comes to mind; but maybe too subtle?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
It does sound like "The DaVinci Code." The only thing worse than reading smug foreshadowing is to listen to it on CD. Elackk.

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
LOL two nails hit squarely on the head. It is in fact the Da Vinci code that I'd referring to. LOL. I love this place.
*Beers on me*

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
You'd better save them for yourself. You're going to need them. That is one suckass book.

Cheers! :)

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Heh heh. I actually finished it last night. I think the main thing about that book is, it is a great idea for a novel, excecuted with mediocrity. I get the feeling that the movie will be better than the book, given Brown's weakness when it comes to basic storytelling, and his bad ear for dialogue. On the other hand, it had a lot of elements that are neat, like ciphers, art, buried treasure, etc. A reviewer at Amazon described it as "Foucault's Pendulum for dummies," which I tend to agree with, although I would add that Eco's work tends to be too dry. Somewhere between Foucault's Pendulum and The Da Vinci Code lies loveable work of fiction.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
great idea for a novel
I did like the non-religious aspects of the mystery, but for the most part I saw the religious scandal as flat, weak and way over hyped. Can it ever be about anything other than sex?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Heh. I was gonna say it sounds like "The DaVinci Code," Good for you, Anna--kudos!

I loved reading the book (note: this is different from saying I loved the book); I like to read books where things happen, and they certainly did in this one.

As to your complaint, Alex (I don't know if there's a name for the technique; I presume the author thought he would enhance the reader's suspense)--I couldn't help but think what a difference there is between Dan Brown and Dick Francis, whose books I've been re-reading lately. ('Nother note: God bless the internet. I decided that once and for all, I'd like to find out which of his I still don't have, and I found a place on-line that lists them all. Then, I was tickled to death to find the missing ones, used, on a large bookselling site--one cost 59¢, and the other three: one penny each!) Anyway--Dick Francis does the same thing, but SO much less "in your face" than The Davinci Code: he usually has the main character just "do some thinking", along with describing what else he's doing.

cwc, you said the religious scandal as flat, weak and way over hyped. Can it ever be about anything other than sex? . (Aside--sorry about the color; I don't like orange; but with your name, I just kind of had to...) I agree; except that for me it wasn't really a "scandal". I'm still wondering what exactly has made this book capture the public's attention so widely. I suppose anything that even hints of contradicting a long-held belief could do it. But...I mean, come on, people--this was a novel, not a scientific report!

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
I think part of the appeal of the book is that, despite its literary flaws, it suggests a larger mystery in the world that remains unsolved, and the clues to this "mystery" are publically-accessable, in museums, books, churches, etc. Plus, it is always titillating to read about secret societies, and if they are secret organizations within a respectable institution such as the Vatican, then so much the better. It's like the ultimate episode of the tv show "City Confidential." Throw in an orgy, er, uh... a holy sexual rite, and you got yourself a pot boiler.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
With all the sensationalizing of the code (is it fiction?!, is it fact?!) going on before I read (listened to) the book, I thought it would build to something more. It did have a compelling start and middle but the end was not special for me. Maybe I wanted more shock and scandal. Something that would make a thinking Catholic question themselves (for a brief moment, of course!). Instead I got a boring ol' orgy and one of the corniest audio-reads I've heard in a few years - no fault of Dan Brown, I hope. (Men are not meant to play French girls.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 939 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith