Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13157 12/17/00 11:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I noted when I logged in just now that there are:

1776 Registered Users.

Let's have a tea party ... in Boston Harbour. Deck the jaws with Boston Charlie, anyone?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Thanks, CapK, the number/date significance would have been lost on me, if you hadn't pointed it out. For me the 1770's bring Captain Cook to mind. 1770 was an important year in the history of both our countries, as Cook extended his Tahitian holiday jaunt to figure-of-8 around NZ before scooting up the east coast of Oz. There is even a town in Queensland called "Town of 1770". In 1776, I gather just days after the US Declaration of Independence, Cook was setting out on his third major exploratory voyage, this one in search of the North-West passage. And on that voyage, in 1779, he choked on his final sandwich somewhere in Hawaii.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Marty said: And on that voyage, in 1779, he choked on his final sandwich somewhere in Hawaii.

Yes, a club sandwich with tomato sauce, if I remember my history correctly. Just shows you it doesn't pay to try to book into a cheap hotel in Waikiki during the busy season ... even a captain needs to learn to take "NO" for an answer.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, and Marty also said: 1770 was an important year in the history of both our countries ...

Um, it was 1769 he was in Godzone the first time around the block. Perhaps the date line has moved since?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Was it a ham sandwich? That seems to happen a lot to celebrities.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
La belle bel a dit: Was it a ham sandwich? That seems to happen a lot to celebrities.

A club sandwich (to us antipodeans) is a sandwich with several layers of bread and filling. However, in this context I was being punny. The Hawaiians killed Cook with a club. Hence the reference to tomato sauce.

However, do not let me deter you from considering the possibility that Cook was a ham actor and that he was so bad that the Hawaiians decided to ensure that he broke more than a leg ...

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
In reply to:

La belle bel a dit: Was it a ham sandwich? That seems to happen a lot to celebrities.

A club sandwich (to us antipodeans) is a sandwich with several layers of bread and filling. However, in this context I was being punny. The Hawaiians killed Cook with a club. Hence the reference to tomato sauce.

However, do not let me deter you from considering the possibility that Cook was a ham actor and that he was so bad that the Hawaiians decided to ensure that he broke more than a leg ...

The other part of the pun, bel, was that Captain Cook had named Hawaii "the Sandwich Islands" after his sponsor, the Earl of Sandwich. Legend has it that the natives at first thought Cook was a god, but later when they discovered that he could suffer pain, they realized their mistake and killed him.

And OK, CapK(ook) you win the pedantry competition and I'll stick to Australian history. But not before stating for the record that October 1769 was his first sighting of NZ, but he didn't hit the South Island until 1770 and was still hugging your coastline in March 1770.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Marty comments The other part of the pun, bel, was that Captain Cook had named Hawaii "the Sandwich Islands" after his sponsor, the Earl of Sandwich.

Oops, forgot to mention that one in my explanation to bel.

Then: And OK, CapK(ook) you win the pedantry competition and I'll stick to Australian history..

Oh, I wouldn't let that stop me if I were you. I wouldn't let it stop me destroying Oz history. For example, Cook didn't run aground until he literally hit the Great Barrier Reef, and I won't even guess which voyage, ship or year that was.

#13165 12/19/00 05:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There are, at this moment, 666 posts under the heading "Information and Announcements" and you know what THAT means!

#13166 12/19/00 07:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
There are, at this moment, 666 posts under the heading "Information and Announcements" and you know what THAT means!

AND (for some people) the millenium is at hand. Whoo boy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith