Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The classic SDS relies on inordinate length, culminating in an atrocious inversion of initial letters (which AIN'T a pun!) - like the "Basques in one exit" story (in its many variations.)

My impression of a Shaggy Dog Story is different. It comes from the paradigm tale of a man who lost his dog - it was a very shaggy dog - and has promised a BIG reward, and the story chronicles the adventures of a man trying to find and retrieve this very very shaggy dog and claim the reward. It involves harrowing experiences, narrow escapes, near misses, anything you like to make the story longer, and then when the storyteller finally takes pity on the audience and brings the story to an end, Our Hero brings this enormously shaggy dog back to the man who offered the reward in the first place (this homeward journey with dog in tow can be another adventure in itself), and the owner says..."Oh, no, that's not my dog, my dog wasn't THAT shaggy!"

So a Shaggy Dog Story is any long convoluted story that ends in a major anticlimax. Sometimes it's an utter urrelevancy. Puns are nice but only incidental. The details of the saga are unimportant to being called an SDS, though they certainly add sparkle to the tale, but it's more the length and complexity, and then the letdown.

Selected punchlines include
--the extended search for the famous "Tiz" bottle that ends with a row of bottles that when gently struck sound out the notes "Mike on Tree Tiz..." (to the notes C, C, D, B...)
--the long-lost coat, sought and finally found by an anthropomorphized moth, that turns out to be synthetic, the final line being "Did you ever see a moth bawl?"
to name just two.

I'm confident you know others!

J
veteran
veteran
J
"Basques in one exit" ain't a pun?! But 'tis, ennit? A calembour by any other name is still paronomasiac no matter what. Shakes head: I've heard many a shaggy dog story that had a punning punchline. (Wanders off muttering ...)

#130436 07/21/04 09:30 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
There is an Official Name for that kind of wordplay involving inversion of letters or sounds from a common phrase: Puzzlewonks call it "Chiasmus."

F
addict
addict
F
Because there is a b in both and an n in neither.

you forgot "and each begins with e".

#130438 07/22/04 12:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Where the sun's rays meet.

TEd
#130439 07/22/04 12:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Where the sun's rays meet.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to your apostrophized plural in: "where the son's raise meat."

#130440 07/22/04 12:52 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>>Am I correct in assuming that you reserve the term pun for those bon mots that use alternative spellings of words with the same pronunciation to invoke a groan from the audience?

Gotta tell you folks, Puns, SDS, word switcheroos...they ALL make us groan. We just shake our heads, mime "cuckoo-puffs" to one-another while pointing this way, and carry on as if nothing ever happened.

#130441 07/24/04 10:21 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I got it!

"Whats a mouse when it spins" is a anagram.
But what does it mean?
Follow the deciphering...

What's a mouse
when it spins

rearrangingly becomes...

A tsuwm's a hoe
when it spins

rearrangingly becomes...

"a tsuwm's a hoe"
ain't hip news

This is strange because a tsuwm is not a hoe.
Everyone knows that a tsuwm's a rake.

GBH Offline
stranger
stranger
I recall this from a children's book In and Out of Doors by Susan, Charlotte, Christopher, Amabel & Clough Williams-Ellis.

C
C

An Con-Man decided to try something new. He opened a medical clinic and put a sign up outside: "Get your treatment for $500, if not treated get back $1,000."

One Doctor thought this was a good opportunity to earn $1,000 and went to his clinic.

Doctor: "I have lost taste in my mouth."

Con-Man: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."

Doctor: "This is gasoline!"

Con-Man: "Congratulations! You've got your taste back. That will be $500."

The Doctor gets annoyed and goes back after a couple of days later to recover his money.

Doctor: "I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything."

Con-Man: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."

Doctor: "But that is Gasoline!" That's what you gave me last time!

Con-Man: "Congratulations! You've got your memory back. That will be $500."

The Doctor leaves angrily and comes back after several more days.

Doctor: "My eyesight has become weak."

Con-Man: "Well, I don't have any medicine for this. Take this $1,000."

Doctor: "But this is $500..."

Con-Man: "Congratulations! You got your vision back! That will be $500."

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith