Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Are their any words that are their own antonym? Seems contradictory, I know, but it struck me one day long ago, when someone said something to me that, based on the interpretation of a particular word in the sentence, could have had its meaning turned on its head. Secondly, what is the name to describe a word that has this quality? Thanks.

C
stranger
stranger
C
A recent use of the word, 'wicked' amongst teenagers comes to mind. In their usage it means the opposite of its original meaning.To be 'wicked' is to be super cool and is a good thing to be.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't know the name for this phenomenon, but I can think of one more example: "sanction" as a verb means to approve, while "sanction" as a noun is a ban.

As for the current meaning of "wicked," I suspect that's an extrapolation of the 1970s' "bad."

In the same vein, there are words that seem to be antonyms but are in fact synonyms, such as "flammable" and "inflammable."

Hope someone knows what these two groups of words are called.

linguaphile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I initiated a discussion on this very topic on another website (Atlantic Monthly's Word Fugitives) and I think that we eventually settled on enantiodromic to describe such a word; from enantiodromia, which means the changing of something into its opposite -- a process that most such words obviously have to go through to arrive at having two opposite meanings!

Some of the suggestions were: Janus words, auto-antonyms, contronyms, antagonyms and schizonyms. Here is a link to that discussion, which itself includes links to examples and other discussions:

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/fugitives/diametrical.htm

here are a couple of other examples: overlook (or oversee), peruse (hi Jeff!) and anabasis (military advance or retreat).

and here's one that has certainly gone in contrary directions: sanguine, which can mean 'bloodthirsty' or 'optimistic'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...by the way, an example of such a word which is not enantiodromic is cleave, which is often given as an example of a contronym [my personal choice amongst these terms] but which actually evolved from two separate and unique words that came to have the same spelling!

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Perhaps we could look at phrases which are their own antonym such as "begs the question". Oh no, let's not!

old hand
old hand
In many cases, emotionally charged words, in the course of their history, change over to the opposite sense, e.g. "terrific". So the opposite significations are not really simultaneous. Antonyms, in the strict sense, are those that are actually used in opposition in a phrase. You can't say, of a novel, "the plot is terrific, but the style is terrific."

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I was under the impression that the use of wicked to mean good was something that was common in West African languages and which got translated into English use by African Americans. I thought that, although it has recently become more widespread in use, it has long been used by African Americans and Black West Indians. Is this true and, if so, is it also true for Spanish and Portuguese speaking descendents of Black slavery.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Rats! Cleave has always been my favorite among these words and now I learn that it isn't one. Can you give the derivation of the two?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the etymologies are tortuous but they both come through Old High German; one from kleben to stick, and the other from klioban to split.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith