Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
you know what i mean.. the word for the re-enforced tip of a shoelace.. the name of the small valley -between the upper lip and nostrils..the term for the fold in the skin of the upper eyelid, common in people from asia..

you know the sort..

like chalaza--the technical term for the rope like membrane you find in realy fresh eggs.. that keeps the yolk centered.. (you've all seen that rope like membrane.. have you every thought about what is was called?)

supple the correct words for the first few suggestions. add more..

we all have favorite little words, words that detail our lives..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
aglet... philtrum... epicanthus

too easy; next?

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
and your favorite-(is it one of those, or some other odd little word?) goodness knows, there are enough odd little words..

it wasn't a game.. and since aglet, philtrum, epicanthus have all been discussed.. to post them is a sort of yart.. is this it? we've exhausted the list of odd little words in english? at a count of 4?

no one has any?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You trying to ruin every future game of HogWash®?

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, of troy, here are some everyday words for everyday things we might take for granted. Not exactly what you had in mind for unusual-sounding words, but these are fun to think about, too:

I like the name for the individual plates on a turtle's shell--and their various names depending upon where they're located on the carapace, which I also like--but I know you all already know that one fersure.

There are two t-words for the parts of the umbrella at the outmost stretching points: one that fits over the other one that the secures the stretch, both beginning with a 't'.

Parts of the hammer head? Human/animal names: the top, the lateral side, the flat front that hits what's being hammered, and the back part that looks like a double metal pony tail. Each of these has the name of a feature of an animal--most mammals would qualify.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I just had my bike tuned up, and the awesome and ever informative BikeMobile guy told me that the little thingies covering the connections of the spokes onto the rim are called nipples. My question: what are they called in German? Same as live nipples (which translate as breast warts)? Maybe wsieber knows.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Holy smokes! Am I ever lazy, and not too observant. I was sitting here quite comfortably with my feet propped up on a book on top of my desk. It's my German-English dictionary!!!! So I looked it up, and I'm guessing the answer is Nippel, which isn't quite as exciting as Brustwarze.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...which isn't quite as exciting as Brustwarze.

Not to burst any bubbles here, but, nothing should be *as exciting as calling them "breast warts". Nothing.

J
J
To a plumber, a nipple is a piece of pipe, relatively short, with male threads on both ends.
And I just happened to wonder--why is a plumber called that?
I know about plumb bobs and plumb lines to make things plumb
square--but those aren't solely related to water pipes, in and out.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think that plumber may relate to the lead with which they used to work, back in the mad old days when plumbers worked with lead pipes.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith