Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
peter j Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hello everyone

I picked up a dictionary last w/e and had a fun time searching for words to employ in connection with a website. If I can please provide some background ….

Hodges' Health Career - Care Domains - Model (h2cm).

http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/

- can help map health, social care and other issues, problems AND solutions, taking a situated and multi-contextual view across four knowledge domains:

* Interpersonal;
* Sociological;
* Empirical;
* Political (Autonomy).

You can call this structure - a model, conceptual framework, holistic tool, conceptual integrator. ‘Career’ in the title refers to the idea of people having a ‘life’ career, during which there are life chances… etc.

I was wondering if there is a word that can capture the universal scope of this model – both the subject domains above and two axes.

Humanistic -------------- Mechanistic
individual -------------- group

I noticed a word 'precordic' (over the heart) and wondered about combining this with cognitive in some way, as the model covers body and mind – physical and spiritual.

Another possible lead is the model's ability to support reflection, prior to a ‘project’ whether care planning, e-learning, but ‘pre-processing’ for example is too mechanistic.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, maybe 'holistic' will have to do?

Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes,

Peter
h2cm webmaster/Contributor
UK
--
Peter Jones
http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/
Hodges' Health Career - Care Domains - Model
h2cm: help 2C more - help 2 listen - help 2 care

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
welcome to the board, peter j!

what's a "situated view"?

formerly known as etaoin...
old hand
old hand
Hi,
All I can say is that "holistic" is maybe no longer positively received across the board (like any term ending in "..istic", by the way).

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Welcome aBoard Peter.

I have no clue what you are asking (or saying) above. Can you explain it to me?

P
peter j Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hi,

'Situated view' - yes a bit nebulous. I've used it in the sense of a person (patient or client) in a specific situation. The 'situated' part is emphasised due to the person-centred approach. 'Situated' arises in human-computer interaction studies, learning and training, and health care, and is an enormous area of study...

Regards,
Peter J

P
peter j Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
'Holistic' here refers to the term coined by Smuts:

http://www.britannica.com/ebi/article?eu=296834&query=jan smuts&ct="ebi"

Recognising the complexity and multicontextual nature of caring, academics provided 'models', a mental framework to act as a memory jogger. A guide for learners and a prompt for experienced staff. Hodges' model is one example of such tools. Hodges' model seeks to ensure 'holistic' practice by directing the nurse, doctor, (policy maker!) to consider the 'patient' as a whole person - not just a physically derived diagnosis.

Hodges' model provides four knowledge domains (listed above) which if called upon can (IMHO) encompass all human knowledge. The spiritual - often stated in the form of 'why' questions lies beyond the boundaries of these domains, but undoubtedly intersects them via concepts such as - love, faith, belief, ethics....

This suggests something much more than an 'holistic' tool - but what other word can be used?

As our problems get ever more complex, so too do the solutions. I am wondering if models (frameworks) such as Hodges' can help - especially if allied to *effective* info. comms & technologies?

Such an application may demand new terminology?

TIA
Peter J

#129410 06/23/04 07:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I used to see wholistic used frequently back in the 70's, and I prefer it because it connotes the sense of wholeness which is the whole point (no pun intended). Body, mind & spirit...natural health and well-being. As the w disappeared holistic got shoved more into a cultist, or even religious, corner, especially by those who tried, and are trying, to lump everything not supported by *their religion under a "New Age" heading and demonize it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with you, juan. Wholistic is exactly what is meant and that it seems the only reason one looks for a different word here is *someone else has stolen it for alterior definitions/motives.

As science has derobed the personally beneficial effects of laughter, hope and providing care for others, it leads me to anticipate finding that isolation, resentment and despair slowly whittle away at ones whole...

[music]...you've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative...[/music]

...ba-da-Bing!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yo, Peter.

If someone here comes up with a word/expression that works for you, what's the royalties?

old hand
old hand
Tetrachiral?

Four domains with the implication of taking into account both sides (left/right, mirror images etc) of the situation.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith